..

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

..

Postby Nelson » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:32 am

..
Last edited by Nelson on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby Cupidity » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:36 am

BU w/ 20k is solid you elitist prick.

smiley
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby smiley » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:40 am

If you want to work in Boston, go to BU, study, and get good grades. You shouldn't have a problem getting a job in Boston with good grades at BU.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:41 am

What are your other acceptances? You could snag Cornell this cycle or easily with a retake.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby Sandro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:42 am

Cupidity wrote:BU w/ 20k is solid you elitist prick.


lol

User avatar
pilchc
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby pilchc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:01 am

BU w/ 20k is solid, and you should be proud of that offer. However, if you think you can do considerably better on your LSAT, I would advise you to study and retake. An extra year is a small price to pay if it means that eight years from now, your loans are paid off and/or you have significantly better employment.

The good news is that BU puts a lot of weight on the highest score. The bad news is that a lot of T14 schools will average your scores or put considerable weight on both, so even if you retake and get, for example, a 172, many T14s will consider that with your 166 and treat your LSAT scores more like one 169 or 170.

If you didn't work hard for your last score, you have a better chance of being able to push your next score above 170 (which could lead to a huge scholarship or admission to a T14). But, if you worked hard for the 166, it is likely that you will have diminishing returns on additional study and therefore, your chance of significantly improving your LSAT score is lower.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:03 am

pilchc wrote:BU w/ 20k is solid, and you should be proud of that offer. However, if you think you can do considerably better on your LSAT, I would advise you to study and retake. An extra year is a small price to pay if it means that eight years from now, your loans are paid off and/or you have significantly better employment.

The good news is that BU puts a lot of weight on the highest score. The bad news is that a lot of T14 schools will average your scores or put considerable weight on both, so even if you retake and get, for example, a 172, many T14s will consider that with your 166 and treat your LSAT scores more like one 169 or 170.

If you didn't work hard for your last score, you have a better chance of being able to push your next score above 170 (which could lead to a huge scholarship or admission to a T14). But, if you worked hard for the 166, it is likely that you will have diminishing returns on additional study and therefore, your chance of significantly improving your LSAT score is lower.


Um no. I haven't heard of any t14's doing this other than HYS and NYU.

User avatar
pilchc
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby pilchc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:25 am

FiveSermon wrote:
pilchc wrote:BU w/ 20k is solid, and you should be proud of that offer. However, if you think you can do considerably better on your LSAT, I would advise you to study and retake. An extra year is a small price to pay if it means that eight years from now, your loans are paid off and/or you have significantly better employment.

The good news is that BU puts a lot of weight on the highest score. The bad news is that a lot of T14 schools will average your scores or put considerable weight on both, so even if you retake and get, for example, a 172, many T14s will consider that with your 166 and treat your LSAT scores more like one 169 or 170.

If you didn't work hard for your last score, you have a better chance of being able to push your next score above 170 (which could lead to a huge scholarship or admission to a T14). But, if you worked hard for the 166, it is likely that you will have diminishing returns on additional study and therefore, your chance of significantly improving your LSAT score is lower.


Um no. I haven't heard of any t14's doing this other than HYS and NYU.


If I made it sound like every T14 considers both, then I was wrong. I wanted to point out that half, if not the majority, of T14s consider more than just the highest or most recent score.

HYS and NYU makes 4 out of 14.

"Chicago will report an applicant’s highest LSAT score, but still look at all of them."
http://www.top-law-schools.com/chicago-law-school.html

"Like most other schools, Michigan will report an applicant’s highest LSAT score, but still look at all of them. Dean Zearfoss said, 'Let’s say the pattern was a 165, a 167 and a 169. You can’t really go up usually too much on the LSAT — in general, the people who take it multiple times score within two or three points. So you would expect someone who took it twice to go up two or three points, just from more familiarity with the test, all other things being equal. So taking it two more times and going up two more points, I would put more weight in that instance on the mean score: the 167. I would think that would actually be the one that’s more predictive."'
http://www.top-law-schools.com/michigan-law-school.html

UV Dean Trujillo said, "We will look at all of an applicant’s LSAT scores."
http://www.top-law-schools.com/virginia-law-school.html

"Cornell Law School’s official policy regarding LSAT scores is to take the higher score if it is at least 3 points higher than the lower score. Dean Geiger adds that “if a person has taken the test multiple times, we look at all the scores and try to assess which is the most representative."
http://www.top-law-schools.com/cornell-law-school.html

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:28 am

pilchc wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
pilchc wrote:BU w/ 20k is solid, and you should be proud of that offer. However, if you think you can do considerably better on your LSAT, I would advise you to study and retake. An extra year is a small price to pay if it means that eight years from now, your loans are paid off and/or you have significantly better employment.

The good news is that BU puts a lot of weight on the highest score. The bad news is that a lot of T14 schools will average your scores or put considerable weight on both, so even if you retake and get, for example, a 172, many T14s will consider that with your 166 and treat your LSAT scores more like one 169 or 170.

If you didn't work hard for your last score, you have a better chance of being able to push your next score above 170 (which could lead to a huge scholarship or admission to a T14). But, if you worked hard for the 166, it is likely that you will have diminishing returns on additional study and therefore, your chance of significantly improving your LSAT score is lower.


Um no. I haven't heard of any t14's doing this other than HYS and NYU.


If I made it sound like every T14 considers both, then I was wrong. I wanted to point out that half, if not the majority, of T14s consider more than just the highest or most recent score.

HYS and NYU makes 4 out of 14.

"Chicago will report an applicant’s highest LSAT score, but still look at all of them."
http://www.top-law-schools.com/chicago-law-school.html

"Like most other schools, Michigan will report an applicant’s highest LSAT score, but still look at all of them. Dean Zearfoss said, 'Let’s say the pattern was a 165, a 167 and a 169. You can’t really go up usually too much on the LSAT — in general, the people who take it multiple times score within two or three points. So you would expect someone who took it twice to go up two or three points, just from more familiarity with the test, all other things being equal. So taking it two more times and going up two more points, I would put more weight in that instance on the mean score: the 167. I would think that would actually be the one that’s more predictive."'
http://www.top-law-schools.com/michigan-law-school.html

UV Dean Trujillo said, "We will look at all of an applicant’s LSAT scores."
http://www.top-law-schools.com/virginia-law-school.html

"Cornell Law School’s official policy regarding LSAT scores is to take the higher score if it is at least 3 points higher than the lower score. Dean Geiger adds that “if a person has taken the test multiple times, we look at all the scores and try to assess which is the most representative."
http://www.top-law-schools.com/cornell-law-school.html


"Still look at" is not average. "consider" is not average. They may say they consider but when you look at applicant's cycles you see that most t14's just look at the highest ones.

User avatar
pilchc
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby pilchc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:45 am

I said, "a lot of T14 schools will average your scores OR put considerable weight on both,"
I, like you, don't think the majority average.

I hope you are right when you say that when they say "consider" they don't mean they will seriously consider both scores, because I applied to a lot of T14s and I have two LSAT's that are 5 points apart.

Anyway, we should move our conversation to PM for the OP's sake. We are moving his thread off topic.

champ33
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby champ33 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:16 am

Consider paying the BU deposit and studying your ass off for the June LSAT, OP. If you improve to 170+ it could be worth it, with your GPA to sit out a year and keep working. If you score significantly higher, there is no guarantee you will on a later LSAT, so you may as well go to BU.

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby concurrent fork » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:07 am

Nelson wrote:the smart choice is to study my ass off, retake and reapply next cycle to get T-14 or more money at BU/GW range, right?

This is always a smart choice. Law school will still be there next year.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:18 am

Just a note, you might not want to count on more money from BU even with an improved LSAT. I only got 10k with an LSAT points higher than yours (presumably because my GPA is dicey)...

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby Cupidity » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:26 am

Very few people get more than 20k from BU.

I approve of the June plan. Only wait a year if you can pull out a 169

binghamtonalum
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby binghamtonalum » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:36 am

TAKE BU!!!

Eagles_Legendz
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby Eagles_Legendz » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:21 am

How does the June LSAT work this cycle? I am also sitting with a 166 right now, though with better softs and a lower GPA.

Do any schools, say if you're on the WL, consider June's LSAT score, or would you have to sit out an entire cycle and apply again? I'm also wondering what type of a bump would make it beneficial to wait a year? Going from 166 to 168? 166 to 170+?

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby krad » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:02 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Just a note, you might not want to count on more money from BU even with an improved LSAT. I only got 10k with an LSAT points higher than yours (presumably because my GPA is dicey)...

This. $20k is a very solid offer at BU. By comparison, the PI Scholly is $30k/year and that's a scholly to which you have to apply separately.

I echo the sentiment on retaking/reapplying if you feel that you didn't study enough/didn't live up to your potential or PT scores.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

User avatar
174
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 am

Re: BU w/ 20K or retake/reapply

Postby 174 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:21 pm

Retake.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chasima, Emilysni88 and 5 guests