UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCLA or GW or BU

UCLA
32
51%
GW
23
37%
BU
8
13%
 
Total votes: 63

nepomuk
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:37 am

UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby nepomuk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:00 am

Things are starting to wind down for me in this cycle. I'm trying to decide between UCLA, BU and GW. I have a good background for IP (MS in Chem with WE). I currently leave and work in NorCal, but I'm fine with moving to the east coast. Hitting a good IP job is my priority, wherether that might take me. Can anyone tell me which market (LA, DC or Boston) would be best for my IP plans?

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby ATR » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:13 am

We need scholarship information to help you.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby thexfactor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:14 am

ucla. It gives you the best chance to get a job.

nepomuk
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:37 am

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby nepomuk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:51 am

No scholarships as of now. I'm assuming I'll be paying sticker.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby Cupidity » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:55 am

Depends:

In general UCLA is better, however, Boston is the country's biotech hub and BU does an exceptional job with health-law and IP. If you are interested in for example, biomedical engineering, BU is the place to be.

For anything else, go to UCLA.

I have no idea why anyone is voting GWU.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:58 am

Cupidity wrote:Depends:

In general UCLA is better, however, Boston is the country's biotech hub and BU does an exceptional job with health-law and IP. If you are interested in for example, biomedical engineering, BU is the place to be.

For anything else, go to UCLA.

I have no idea why anyone is voting GWU.

Agreed. You think there are scientists in D.C.? Wrong. Nothing but politicians and homeless, my friend.

I think UCLA, though, since you live in CA already.

ryanp1000
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:38 am

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby ryanp1000 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:04 am

GW has one of the top IP programs in the country...

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby krad » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:07 pm

I voted UCLA since you're already in-state and looking at sticker at all three schools. Followed by UCLA, I'd take BU > GW. COA at GW is absurdly high.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:32 pm

UCLA has the overall best job prospects. BU/GW are basically equal, with BU being cheaper overall.

User avatar
174
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 am

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby 174 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:34 pm

thexfactor wrote:ucla. It gives you the best chance to get a job.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:47 pm

DC is a good IP market. A lot of IP litigation is done there. I'm not sure but I bet you'd do about the same at UCLA as GWU.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:DC is a good IP market. A lot of IP litigation is done there. I'm not sure but I bet you'd do about the same at UCLA as GWU.


This. UCLA is the better school but GW is known for doing good in the IP market. BU is pretty much same as GW but I'm pretty sure GW>BU IP wise.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:54 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:DC is a good IP market. A lot of IP litigation is done there. I'm not sure but I bet you'd do about the same at UCLA as GWU.


This. UCLA is the better school but GW is known for doing good in the IP market. BU is pretty much same as GW but I'm pretty sure GW>BU IP wise.


Maybe, but IP is one of BU's strongest suits, just focused much more on biotech and copyright which is big in Boston. If you don't care about where you work, I'd take UCLA, otherwise, go to BU for Boston, GW for DC.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Cupidity, you are way too biased for BU. No doubt it's a great school, but every single one of your posts is about how awesome BU is. GW has a killer IP program. That's why people are voting for it. I would go UCLA, since you have no regional preference. Better school overall. Things change if $ becomes a factor.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:35 pm

FuManChusco wrote:Cupidity, you are way too biased for BU. No doubt it's a great school, but every single one of your posts is about how awesome BU is. GW has a killer IP program. That's why people are voting for it. I would go UCLA, since you have no regional preference. Better school overall. Things change if $ becomes a factor.

THEY MAKE ROOMBAS IN BOSTON, BRO. YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:51 pm

FuManChusco wrote:Cupidity, you are way too biased for BU. No doubt it's a great school, but every single one of your posts is about how awesome BU is. GW has a killer IP program. That's why people are voting for it. I would go UCLA, since you have no regional preference. Better school overall. Things change if $ becomes a factor.


GW IS AN IP POWERHOUSE!! But seriously, question of region - I know people here try to argue that GW is special IP-wise (well, mostly GW students), but doubtful that a firm will look at candidates from these schools and say "but this one went to GW, its an IP POWERHOUSE." Everyone goes to the same Loyola Patent Fair, and both schools have extensive programs for IP people.

With the caveat, that if you can work in the USPTO while attending GW, thats pretty freaking awesome.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby Cupidity » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:59 pm

FuManChusco wrote:Cupidity, you are way too biased for BU. No doubt it's a great school, but every single one of your posts is about how awesome BU is. GW has a killer IP program. That's why people are voting for it. I would go UCLA, since you have no regional preference. Better school overall. Things change if $ becomes a factor.


It's a thread about BU. What do you want me to do, avoid it because I have an opinion. Logic Fail.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:02 pm

Cupidity wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:Cupidity, you are way too biased for BU. No doubt it's a great school, but every single one of your posts is about how awesome BU is. GW has a killer IP program. That's why people are voting for it. I would go UCLA, since you have no regional preference. Better school overall. Things change if $ becomes a factor.


It's a thread about BU. What do you want me to do, avoid it because I have an opinion. Logic Fail.


Saying BU > UCLA for Boston isn't biased in the slightest, and is probably pretty accurate (although who the fuck knows). His post even said UCLA is better overall, which no one is arguing with at all.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:Cupidity, you are way too biased for BU. No doubt it's a great school, but every single one of your posts is about how awesome BU is. GW has a killer IP program. That's why people are voting for it. I would go UCLA, since you have no regional preference. Better school overall. Things change if $ becomes a factor.


It's a thread about BU. What do you want me to do, avoid it because I have an opinion. Logic Fail.


Saying BU > UCLA for Boston isn't biased in the slightest, and is probably pretty accurate (although who the fuck knows). His post even said UCLA is better overall, which no one is arguing with at all.

I mean the guy asked:
Can anyone tell me which market (LA, DC or Boston) would be best for my IP plans?

and his response was:
I have no idea why anyone is voting GWU.


really? no one's arguing that someone should go to GWU or UCLA to work in Boston. you're saying Boston's IP market is bigger than DC's and SF/LA's?

User avatar
koalatriste
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby koalatriste » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:34 pm

fatduck wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:Cupidity, you are way too biased for BU. No doubt it's a great school, but every single one of your posts is about how awesome BU is. GW has a killer IP program. That's why people are voting for it. I would go UCLA, since you have no regional preference. Better school overall. Things change if $ becomes a factor.


It's a thread about BU. What do you want me to do, avoid it because I have an opinion. Logic Fail.


Saying BU > UCLA for Boston isn't biased in the slightest, and is probably pretty accurate (although who the fuck knows). His post even said UCLA is better overall, which no one is arguing with at all.

I mean the guy asked:
Can anyone tell me which market (LA, DC or Boston) would be best for my IP plans?

and his response was:
I have no idea why anyone is voting GWU.


really? no one's arguing that someone should go to GWU or UCLA to work in Boston. you're saying Boston's IP market is bigger than DC's and SF/LA's?


+1 to everything fatduck said out of animal solidarity. Also, GWU is pretty well-known for IP, according to a friend who is an associate in IP litigation at a V25 firm (in DC).

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby 2011Law » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:36 pm

If you don't get scholarship from any of them, it seems like UCLA would be a no brainer, especially being from California.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:38 pm

Fair enough, saying theres no reason to go to GW isn't correct (although BU is comparable and cheaper). Theres a ton of IP in both DC and Boston - I just caution against following the group think on TLS that GW has a clear edge in IP over other schools - but thats not to say the reverse either.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:51 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Fair enough, saying theres no reason to go to GW isn't correct (although BU is comparable and cheaper). Theres a ton of IP in both DC and Boston - I just caution against following the group think on TLS that GW has a clear edge in IP over other schools - but thats not to say the reverse either.

a lot probably depends on what type of IP work the person wants to do. if you want to do prosecution, boston's probably comparable. for litigation, though, i think DC/CA/TX are better markets.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:59 pm

fatduck has clarified my point. to further generalize though, both of you troll BU pretty hardcore. you can't even deny it.

and for the record, I think BU is a fantastic school. I just don't see the reason to shoot down peer schools every chance you get.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: UCLA, GW or BU for IP?

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:39 am

FuManChusco wrote:fatduck has clarified my point. to further generalize though, both of you troll BU pretty hardcore. you can't even deny it.

and for the record, I think BU is a fantastic school. I just don't see the reason to shoot down peer schools every chance you get.


Coming from a WUSTL troll, this is sort of funny. I also don't troll hard for BU, if you read what I actually post, you'll notice I'm not that bad (beside in the WUSTL thread, but that was just a clusterfuck).




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: champloo and 5 guests