Cardozo vs SJL 30k/y vs Hofstra /free ride Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ezzier

New

Cardozo vs SJL 30k/y vs Hofstra /free ride

Post by ezzier » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:44 pm

Is Hofstra that much worse than St Johns or Cardozo?

Whats the median salary for students from the top ten percent of the Hofstra class?

Neve

Bronze

Re: Cardozo vs SJL 30k/y vs Hofstra /free ride

Post by Neve » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:00 pm

ezzier wrote:Is Hofstra that much worse than St Johns or Cardozo?

Whats the median salary for students from the top ten percent of the Hofstra class?

I don't know that much about Hofstra, but I think St. John's has a better reputation and more salary potential.

ezzier

New

Post by ezzier » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:08 pm

How much more is that reputation worth? an extra 15k/y

If I plan on being in the top ten percent does it really make that big of a difference.

Btw I am a crappy LSAT taker but have a 3.89 GPA, so I am fairly confident I will do well.

paul7lee

New

Post by paul7lee » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:56 pm

Neve wrote:

I don't know that much about Hofstra, but I think St. John's has a better reputation and more salary potential.
Does SJL really have that much of a better rep? I got $32.5K from there and $35K from Seton Hall and I'm wondering if I should just choose between those two for now instead of going to a higher ranked school elsewhere (ie. Wisconsin, Pepperdine, Maryland).

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:04 pm

paul7lee wrote:
Neve wrote:

Does SJL really have that much of a better rep? I got $32.5K from there and $35K from Seton Hall and I'm wondering if I should just choose between those two for now instead of going to a higher ranked school elsewhere (ie. Wisconsin, Pepperdine, Maryland).
I have a friend currently attending Hofstra, he's currently a 3L about to graduate, he does have a biglaw job lined up. However, he is currently ranked among the top 5 students. His feeling is that you need to be at least top 5% for a chance at an elite job, and probably closer to the very top of the class.

I also have a 2L friend at St. John's. She's top 1/3 and said most of the big firms were there only for resume collection.

This is just anecdotal stuff, but its all I can offer. I think you need to plan on being at the absolute top of your class from either school if you want the best jobs NYC has to offer.

BrianGriffintheDog

Bronze

Post by BrianGriffintheDog » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:18 pm

Just to be a devil's advocate, I think you should be careful about overestimating your ability to succeed in school (i.e. being top 10%). I don't mean to sound like a complete asshole, but I think you should consider how hard law school can be when making big decisions such as this. And even if you do make top 10%, you're safest bet would be like a mid size firm as opposed to big law unless you're in top 1-5%.

Also, is there a GPA requirement for Hofstra? I hope there isn't any.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”