GW vs. Hastings Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nematoad

Bronze

Re: GW vs. Hastings

Post by nematoad » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm facing a similar decision myself. Hastings v. Fordham/Emory. Every lawyer I've spoken to has said Hastings for California, without hesitation. My only dilemma is whether I want live in Cali or NYC for the nest decade or so.

Edit: also interested in intl human rights law, but as fumanchu noted, it's not best to bring that up here.

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:56 pm

nematoad wrote:I'm facing a similar decision myself. Hastings v. Fordham/Emory. Every lawyer I've spoken to has said Hastings for California, without hesitation. My only dilemma is whether I want live in Cali or NYC for the nest decade or so.

Edit: also interested in intl human rights law, but as fumanchu noted, it's not best to bring that up here.
If I had to be "stuck" somewhere I'd choose Cali. Personally, while I prefer San Francisco to NYC (I'm from the East, so maybe it's just my mystical love of all things far away), though it's equally (if not more) expensive and dirty. I keep hearing nothing but bad things about the NorCal legal market, fwiw. There are tons of jobs in NYC, have always been jobs in NYC, and if in the future there are no jobs in NYC then chances are you have a lot more to worry about than finding a job. I personally like SoCal, although being from South Florida I'm sure it attracts the same amount of human refuse. I don't know. Fordham might be best in terms of jerbs because they really do outperform their ranking when it comes to placing students-and there are lots of jerbs in NYC. Dunno about Hastings' placement or the Cali jerb market.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:57 pm

Don't go to law school planning on transferring. There is about a 95% chance, maybe higher, that you won't.

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:07 pm

SBL wrote:Don't go to law school planning on transferring. There is about a 95% chance, maybe higher, that you won't.
While I believe that, the hardest thing is your parents, advisor (ha!) and friends constantly telling you (i.e. me) otherwise.

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:08 pm

FalafelWaffle wrote:
nematoad wrote:I'm facing a similar decision myself. Hastings v. Fordham/Emory. Every lawyer I've spoken to has said Hastings for California, without hesitation. My only dilemma is whether I want live in Cali or NYC for the nest decade or so.

If I had to be "stuck" somewhere I'd choose Cali. Personally, while I prefer San Francisco to NYC (I'm from the East, so maybe it's just my mystical love of all things far away), though it's equally (if not more) expensive and dirty. I keep hearing nothing but bad things about the NorCal legal market, fwiw. There are tons of jobs in NYC, have always been jobs in NYC, and if in the future there are no jobs in NYC then chances are you have a lot more to worry about than finding a job. I personally like SoCal, although being from South Florida I'm sure it attracts the same amount of human refuse. I don't know. Fordham might be best in terms of jerbs because they really do outperform their ranking when it comes to placing students-and there are lots of jerbs in NYC. Dunno about Hastings' placement or the Cali jerb market.
Yeah I've heard very similar responses. If i don't care about location, job propects are better at Fordham. Problem is, job prospects aside, I dunno if I could handle NYC past the age of 30... or even now as a 23 year old. I dig the city but I'm a SoCal kid and can get pretty antsy and claustrophobic if i don't get away every so often.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:10 pm

nematoad wrote:
FalafelWaffle wrote:

Yeah I've heard very similar responses. If i don't care about location, job propects are better at Fordham. Problem is, job prospects aside, I dunno if I could handle NYC past the age of 30... or even now as a 23 year old. I dig the city but I'm a SoCal kid and can get pretty antsy and claustrophobic if i don't get away every so often.
I vehemently dislike NYC. If you feel the same, no amount of job opportunities make it worth it.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:10 pm

FalafelWaffle wrote:
SBL wrote:Don't go to law school planning on transferring. There is about a 95% chance, maybe higher, that you won't.
While I believe that, the hardest thing is your parents, advisor (ha!) and friends constantly telling you (i.e. me) otherwise.
Your parents and friends aren't objective enough to realize that 100% of your classmates also plan on finishing top-5%, they think this doesn't matter because you're special and awesome. Good on them for loving you and thinking you're the best, but it's so unlikely you should consider it a non-possibility at this juncture.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”