How has TLS affected your thought/application process?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: How has TLS affected your thought/application process?

Postby 20160810 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:12 pm

I would have been trying to get a job in sf from BU if it wasn't for this site.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:23 pm

TLS has its good and bad points:

--Taught me how important the rankings are, as flawed as they may be. Before TLS, I assumed law school rankings were like undergrad rankings: completely irrelevant to all but the biggest snobs. But since the legal profession has a large share of such types, the rankings remain important, and TLS made me realize that I couldn't just ignore them

--Made me realize how dumb it would be to start trying to prep for law school before law school starts. I was a naive kid thinking "hell, I'll just try and learn the law beforehand". Hearing from real law students saved my whole summer and made me realize what a bad idea this is (though they pointed me in the direction of learning about law school exams, which i felt was helpful)

--Taught me to be skeptical. Always be skeptical of what you hear from schools when they are trying to woo you. They have an incentive to tweak the facts and the numbers.

--As cliche as it is, TLS made me believe in myself more than I ever have. I've always been very humble and downplayed any success I have to the point where I brush it off as luck. Hell, this is one of the main reasons I turned down T14 school offers: because I didn't believe in my ability to succeed. But being amongst the "company" of so many high-achieving students made me aspire to reach higher than my usual humble expectations. And the results have totally been there so far in law school.

--Unfortunately, TLS showed me how powerful peer pressure can be, and I would be lying if I said I don't fall victim sometimes. As helpful as this site is, it can turn into an echo-chamber of what usually is solid advice, but there are misguided pieces of wisdom that float around too often. People often come here because they are naive about the process, so they sometimes get taken into the storm of TLS peer pressure

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:24 pm

SBL wrote:I would have been trying to get a job in sf from BU if it wasn't for this site.

Lol its funny you say that since I had a roomie while I was an undergrad who was a BU law student. He was from SF, and was flying back and forth every week for interviews, and got a solid job there. But he was class of 2009 so thats meaningless at this point.

cj2k14

Postby cj2k14 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:25 pm

TLS made me feel sympathy for my friends who are attending Florida Coastal at near sticker this fall

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:32 pm

cj2k14 wrote:TLS made me feel sympathy for my friends who are attending Florida Coastal at near sticker this fall

I remember my friend told me he got into 4 law schools, but wouldn't give me the names. He only gave me the locations. 3 in florida, 1 in michigan. I also knew he had a 146 and a 149. By this I deduced that he got into Florida Coastal, FAMU, St. Thomas, and Cooley. Poor kid.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:33 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:When I first considered law school I would have prayed to get into UF. During LSAT prep I stumble upon the rankings and profiles here. I then decided I wanted to go to UNC. I then found the forum, didn't understand what T14 meant and started stressing out about this whole process in a way I never knew I could. I am now going to be attending a T-14 but worrying that ITE it may be a TTT. This site changed everything. I am glad I came here but ignorance was bliss (at least until I would have tried finding a job or paying off the debt).

Anyone feel that TLS totally changed the course of their life?

"Brooklyn law school would be nice. Good neighborhood, solid employment stats, lots of scholarships. I think we have a big winner!" ------> TLS ------> "T14!!!!!!!!" --------> LSAT -----------> "At least I can get into BU... a good school but everyone seems to think it's a crappy idea at sticker. Maybe it can still get me to New York..."

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:34 pm

TLS made me realize the importance of applying before thanksgiving, and that you can negotiate scholarships ( and admissions people are willing to negotiate)

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:39 pm

cj2k14 wrote:TLS made me feel sympathy for my friends who are attending Florida Coastal at near sticker this fall

If they are your friends, why not try to convince them otherwise (tactfully), before they make a monumentally disastrous financial decision?

Postby 20160810 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:54 pm

dakatz wrote:
SBL wrote:I would have been trying to get a job in sf from BU if it wasn't for this site.

Lol its funny you say that since I had a roomie while I was an undergrad who was a BU law student. He was from SF, and was flying back and forth every week for interviews, and got a solid job there. But he was class of 2009 so thats meaningless at this point.

I have strong N. CA ties, so BU might have worked out fine for me, but knowing what I know how I'm glad I went to Davis.

cj2k14

Postby cj2k14 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:55 pm

mettasutta wrote:

If they are your friends, why not try to convince them otherwise (tactfully), before they make a monumentally disastrous financial decision?

oh I have.. But I guess when you have been dead set on being a lawyer since age 5 and have a sub 3.0GPA and sub 145 LSAT your not going listen to other people..

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:56 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:If I had never found TLS I would be attending a TTT next fall, instead I am going to retake, reapply and go to a TTT in 2012.

lol

TLS has def helped me focus on putting a gameplan together for 1L. <3 the success articles

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:59 pm

SBL wrote:
dakatz wrote:

I have strong N. CA ties, so BU might have worked out fine for me, but knowing what I know how I'm glad I went to Davis.

Undoubtedly the right choice

fetalposition

Postby fetalposition » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:02 pm

I love TLS, don't get me wrong, but one thing I HATE about this site is the absolute revulsion that people have for taking on debt. I'm guessing that the majority of posters on this site have very little actual business experience, so they wouldn't know that debt is a part of life. People do it, businesses do it, governments do it. You have to spend money to make money.

Granted, paying sticker at Cooley (or even a T50 in some cases) is a terrible idea. And granted again, if you're 42 years old with three kids and a divorce, paying sticker to go anywhere is probably a terrible idea. But, if you're coming out of undergrad (or even 3-5 years out), I CANNOT STAND when people say things like "sticker at BU is the worst decision imaginable." Yes the debt cloud is scary, but you know what's scarier? Not even giving yourself the chance to succeed.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:04 pm

fetalposition wrote:I love TLS, don't get me wrong, but one thing I HATE about this site is the absolute revulsion that people have for taking on debt. I'm guessing that the majority of posters on this site have very little actual business experience, so they wouldn't know that debt is a part of life. People do it, businesses do it, governments do it. You have to spend money to make money.

Granted, paying sticker at Cooley (or even a T50 in some cases) is a terrible idea. And granted again, if you're 42 years old with three kids and a divorce, paying sticker to go anywhere is probably a terrible idea. But, if you're coming out of undergrad (or even 3-5 years out), I CANNOT STAND when people say things like "sticker at BU is the worst decision imaginable." Yes the debt cloud is scary, but you know what's scarier? Not even giving yourself the chance to succeed.

lol, the ignorance in this post is astounding, especially for someone who supposedly has business experience.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:05 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
fetalposition wrote:I love TLS, don't get me wrong, but one thing I HATE about this site is the absolute revulsion that people have for taking on debt. I'm guessing that the majority of posters on this site have very little actual business experience, so they wouldn't know that debt is a part of life. People do it, businesses do it, governments do it. You have to spend money to make money.

lol, the ignorance in this post is astounding, especially for someone who supposedly has business experience.

Made me realize another thing TLS taught me: people too hastily recommend lining up for the diving board into the very deep pool of debt. Its hot and everyone is going in, so its easy to follow. But far too many people are realizing a bit too late that they don't yet know how to swim.
Last edited by dakatz on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:06 pm

Uh, what?

A corporation issuing bonds to pay for new tractors or something isn't the same as someone borrowing $200,000 to go to a school which gives you about a 20-25% chance of making a 6-figure salary after graduation. Maybe learn a bit about bankruptcy law and then come back and tell me why your analogy doesn't hold water.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:06 pm

wait for it....

edit: hahahaha, I couldn't even hit submit before someone shot that down.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:09 pm

Whatever, fuck that. BRING ON THE DEBT!

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:10 pm

FuManChusco wrote:As a ridiculous splitter, TLS made me realize that I was destined to attend WUSTL.

Not to be rude, but are you attending WUSTL for sure? I gotta know all the facts when choosing schools...

Anyway, TLS made my ambitions go from Loyola LA-->UCLA. And there's a chance that reality may just follow my ambitions. Thanks, TLS (I think).

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:11 pm

SBL wrote:

Uh, what?

A corporation issuing bonds to pay for new tractors or something isn't the same as someone borrowing $200,000 to go to a school which gives you about a 20-25% chance of making a 6-figure salary after graduation. Maybe learn a bit about bankruptcy law and then come back and tell me why your analogy doesn't hold water.

Well, no, none of us have the kind of credit to issue our own bonds out on the market like that.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:12 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
SBL wrote:

Uh, what?

Well, no, none of us have the kind of credit to issue our own bonds out on the market like that.

Psh, I'm totes going to securitize and sell off my student debt. Moody's is reviewing my prospectus and generating a rating now. Here's hoping for B or better!

fetalposition

Postby fetalposition » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:13 pm

SBL wrote:

Uh, what?

What about spending millions of dollars on a brand new apartment building that you won't break even on for ten years? I think that's rather analogous to law school. I don't know, maybe I'm being "ignorant" again (another think I love about TLS... being a badass through anonymity).

Listen, try not to jump to typical TLS conclusions bro. Yes, you only have a 20-25% chance at BigLaw from a school like BU (and I'm not a student, nor am I BU-biased). Banking on BigLaw from BU is a bad idea. But why are you assuming you're only going to make $30,000 a year from BU?

And yes, there are plenty of people who are lining up like pigs to the slaughterhouse to take on $200k of debt, but not all of them are idiots. I'd venture to say that only 80% are idiots.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:19 pm

fetalposition wrote:
SBL wrote:

Uh, what?

What about spending millions of dollars on a brand new apartment building that you won't break even on for ten years? I think that's rather analogous to law school. I don't know, maybe I'm being "ignorant" again (another think I love about TLS... being a badass through anonymity).

Listen, try not to jump to typical TLS conclusions bro. Yes, you only have a 20-25% chance at BigLaw from a school like BU (and I'm not a student, nor am I BU-biased). Banking on BigLaw from BU is a bad idea. But why are you assuming you're only going to make $30,000 a year from BU?

And yes, there are plenty of people who are lining up like pigs to the slaughterhouse to take on $200k of debt, but not all of them are idiots. I'd venture to say that only 80% are idiots.

If you make bad business choices you can go chapter 11. If you make bad student loan choices you... pay off the debt or else. Again, learn about bankruptcy law.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:22 pm

SBL wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
SBL wrote:

Uh, what?

Psh, I'm totes going to securitize and sell off my student debt. Moody's is reviewing my prospectus and generating a rating now. Here's hoping for B or better!

I'm currently buying off students debt so I can package them into AAA rated securities.

spets

Postby spets » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:23 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:If I had never found TLS I would be attending a TTT next fall, instead I am going to retake, reapply and go to a TTT in 2012.

Haha, didn't see that coming.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”