How has TLS affected your thought/application process?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cowgirl_bebop

Re: How has TLS affected your thought/application process?

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:13 am

tea_drinker wrote:TLS taught me adcoms only care about numbers.

Taught me exactly the opposite. TLS taught me to go ahead and spend that $12 on that reach school because it might just pay off despite your numbers.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 am

jump_man wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:TLS taught me that unless I was going to a T6 I should retake and reapply.

TLS taught me that I will always be better off retaking and waiting till next year - no matter what - no exceptions

Unless you ED to UVA.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:56 am

TLS taught me that when in doubt the best course of action is re take and reapply, and ed to uva

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:04 pm

Before TLS I was content to attend U Akron or Case and considered OSU my reach school. I will be attending a T10 next year.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:21 pm

buckilaw wrote:Before TLS I was content to attend U Akron or Case and considered OSU my reach school. I will be attending a T10 next year.

I remember when I first started looking at law school I thought Ohio State would be great. Now, TLS has practically convinced me not to go to law school and I could get into t14 schools.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:22 pm

[quote="Hey-O"}

Erg! This echo chamber mindset is something I don't like about TLS. Just repeat blanket statements about things and act like the people who don't repeat them are morons. There are people, a limited amount, who do work in 'international law'.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=147867[/quote]

Word, Hey-O. I actually saw that thread awhile ago and decided you were my TLS soulmate.

But seriously, I know I'm just a wee 0L, but I'd venture to say that studying international law could be much more useful than TLSers give it credit for, depending on what you want to do. As for me, I interned at the UN Office of the Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide last year and was constantly surrounded by "international" lawyers, particularly when interacting with UNHCR and OHCHR. What's more, they didn't all attend YHS or even T14 schools. (Although in all fairness, many of them had studied law in their home countries at schools I know nothing about.)

Anyway, moral of the story being, I think for what you (/we) want to do, studying international law (especially at a reasonably highly ranked school) is perfectly reasonable. You definitely got slammed way too hard in the start of that thread, most likely from TLSers in a BigLaw/private mindset for whom international law really would be a somewhat unreasonable decision.

On a side note, as much as I think Columbia would probably be the better choice for you, I'm on hold there and it's my top choice. So if you decide to withdraw, that could really help me out :P

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:27 pm

Before TLS, I probably would have ended up choosing between DU and CU.

buckilaw wrote:Before TLS I was content to attend U Akron or Case and considered OSU my reach school. I will be attending a T10 next year.

T10 is not a thing.

afc1910

Postby afc1910 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:37 pm

Last edited by afc1910 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waitlisteddd

Postby waitlisteddd » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:42 pm

TLS has given me anxiety.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:48 pm

Before TLS, I would have been deciding between Loyola and...something similar to Loyola. On the other hand, TLS has also made me less appreciative of the good situation I'm in.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:49 pm

Hannibal wrote: TLS has also made me less appreciative of the good situation I'm in.

So credited for me as well. :(

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:52 pm

Hannibal wrote:Before TLS, I would have been deciding between Loyola and...something similar to Loyola. On the other hand, TLS has also made me less appreciative of the good situation I'm in.

This is true, tls drives me to do better and hate myself more in the process.

ATR

Postby ATR » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:53 pm

rman1201 wrote:I learned Nova Southeastern > Barry

Oh you fucker.

Barry > Nova.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:55 pm

ATR wrote:

Oh you fucker.

Barry > Nova.

No fuckin way dude, nice troll attempt.

I know a guy who graduate from Nova and is making bank in Miami.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:18 pm

I have to say, I know a TON more about the profiles of individual schools than I did when I joined a while back. I can speak intelligently about the difference between Yale and Harvard, or the differences among UCLA, UC Berkeley, and UC Hastings, or among USF, Santa Clara, and Golden Gate, or any of plenty other schools. That's pretty cool, because when my students say that they want to go to Hastings, I can now do something other than stare at them blankly. Knowing the LSAT and knowing the law school admissions process are two pretty darn different things.

Though now when my students say that they want to go to Santa Clara or Golden Gate, I have to hold back a visceral grimace, which I never had to do before. Ingrained elitism FTW.

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:20 pm

FuManChusco wrote:As a ridiculous splitter, TLS made me realize that I was destined to attend WUSTL.

+1

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:23 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Hannibal wrote: TLS has also made me less appreciative of the good situation I'm in.

Credited. I was thrilled to get $$$ at GW and into BU, until TLS made me realize that if I didn't reapply I'd end up living in a cardboard box and die poor, miserable and alone.

gator1

Postby gator1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:24 pm

rman1201 wrote:
ATR wrote:

Oh you fucker.

Barry > Nova.

No fuckin way dude, nice troll attempt.

I know a guy who graduate from Nova and is making bank in Miami.

Aren't these like tier 3 & 4 schools? LOL

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:26 pm

FalafelWaffle wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Credited. I was thrilled to get $$$ at GW and into BU, until TLS made me realize that if I didn't reapply I'd end up living in a cardboard box and die poor, miserable and alone.

Ha! I wish GW had given me money. I will be dying alone in somewhere in a cornfield of Indiana and my mother will inherit my debt.

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:28 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:29 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
FalafelWaffle wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Ha! I wish GW had given me money. I will be dying alone in somewhere in a cornfield of Indiana and my mother will inherit my debt.

If you truly love someone...ask them to cosign your loans...

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:51 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

+1. When I tell other people (especially 0L buddies) about the acceptances I received, I always get the wide eyes and the congrats. When I tell TLS, I always get the "LOL that's it?" or, at best, "Meh, I guess that's ok."

It can be easy to forget that TLS exists in a bubble, and the high-achievers that populate these forums are not at all representative of the larger pool of applicants/law students.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:00 pm

TLS makes me feel like matriculating at a T30 is a disappointment, but if I do well I could have a shot at transferring to a T14, which I'm not allowed to talk about.

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:01 pm

Before TLS, I was gunning for my 40s-ranked state school. Now most likely attending T6. I agree though that I blame TLS for making me unsatisfied with my $$ from top 20s.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:08 pm

beachbum wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

+1. When I tell other people (especially 0L buddies) about the acceptances I received, I always get the wide eyes and the congrats. When I tell TLS, I always get the "LOL that's it?" or, at best, "Meh, I guess that's ok."

It can be easy to forget that TLS exists in a bubble, and the high-achievers that populate these forums are not at all representative of the larger pool of applicants/law students.

Bro, Duke is alright.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”