How has TLS affected your thought/application process? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Re: How has TLS affected your thought/application process?

Post by FalafelWaffle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:29 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Hannibal wrote: TLS has also made me less appreciative of the good situation I'm in.
So credited for me as well. :(
+1. When I tell other people (especially 0L buddies) about the acceptances I received, I always get the wide eyes and the congrats. When I tell TLS, I always get the "LOL that's it?" or, at best, "Meh, I guess that's ok."

It can be easy to forget that TLS exists in a bubble, and the high-achievers that populate these forums are not at all representative of the larger pool of applicants/law students.
Bro, Duke is alright.
Dook

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:08 pm

beachbum wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Hannibal wrote: TLS has also made me less appreciative of the good situation I'm in.
+1. When I tell other people (especially 0L buddies) about the acceptances I received, I always get the wide eyes and the congrats. When I tell TLS, I always get the "LOL that's it?" or, at best, "Meh, I guess that's ok."

It can be easy to forget that TLS exists in a bubble, and the high-achievers that populate these forums are not at all representative of the larger pool of applicants/law students.
I <3 Duke

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:24 pm

jpk5372 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

I <3 Duke
Me too, which is why I chose to ED to Duke instead of MVP. Of course, I did this knowing full well that a lot of people around here still think MVP > D (and, even then, these schools are just the "lower T14"), so I guess I can't bitch too much. But, in the end, I love where I'm going, I'm happy I chose Duke over MVP, and I'm grateful to have landed in my current situation. It sucks that I'll be paying sticker (dammit, frat parties), but there are only two schools I'd attend over Duke (Y and S), so I think I'm doin alright. Also, Go Devils.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:27 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Before TLS, I would have been deciding between Loyola and...something similar to Loyola. On the other hand, TLS has also made me less appreciative of the good situation I'm in.
This is true, tls drives me to do better and hate myself more in the process.
omg so credited.

sometimes i wish i'd get permabanned so i couldn't come on here anymore, but then i think i'd miss the lounge :( everything is a double edged sword

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:40 pm

Mostly TLS reminded me that my chosen career path is one big mind field of assholes and egos. I'm desperately hoping this is more due to the internetz than the career.

Although GT gives me hope!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:52 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Mostly TLS reminded me that my chosen career path is one big mind field of assholes and egos. I'm desperately hoping this is more due to the internetz than the career.

If law was like TLS it would be the greatest career ever.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:55 pm

Before TLS, I was convinced that law was a recession-proof career. Where you went to school didn't really matter. Even Temple had a median salary just shy of 100k!

My list of schools was based purely on rank. I had no idea that region made much of a difference.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:58 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Mostly TLS reminded me that my chosen career path is one big mind field of assholes and egos. I'm desperately hoping this is more due to the internetz than the career.

Then go back to your hypersensitive support group and menstruate in a place secluded from the "assholes" and "egos" you whiny twat.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:59 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Before TLS, I would have been deciding between Loyola and...something similar to Loyola. On the other hand, TLS has also made me less appreciative of the good situation I'm in.
This is true, tls drives me to do better and hate myself more in the process.
omg so credited.

sometimes i wish i'd get permabanned so i couldn't come on here anymore, but then i think i'd miss the lounge :( everything is a double edged sword
I always contemplate quitting and then I get pulled into the lounge during work, everytime.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:07 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:sometimes i wish i'd get permabanned so i couldn't come on here anymore, but then i think i'd miss the lounge :(
Patriot1208 wrote:I always contemplate quitting and then I get pulled into the lounge during work, everytime.
ITT: TLS friends forever!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:13 pm

ATR wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:sometimes i wish i'd get permabanned so i couldn't come on here anymore, but then i think i'd miss the lounge :(
Patriot1208 wrote:I always contemplate quitting and then I get pulled into the lounge during work, everytime.
Naw, dood, i'm just trying to get into her pants.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:16 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
ATR wrote:
If you ever decide to go I expect you to go out with a bang. See capitalcq.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:16 pm

This. I find if I let myself get pulled into the TLSness of it all, that it's kind of spiritually/emotionally toxic for me. I try to swear it off, but when I'm stuck at work for 8 horus with nothing to do, and TLS being one of the few sites not blocked by our firewall, I always come back. Right now I'm just trying to not be a dick to people when I post or get caught up in bickering, which are the worst parts of it for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:22 pm

I feel that I came into the cycle fairly well educated (in that I was always aiming for T14 and I didn't find this anyways until after I took the LSAT) but I'm always impressed at what a wealth of knowledge TLS is. It's been great for my obsessiveness - being able to pore over years of data (even if it's a small sample size).

At the same time, I think being on TLS has caused me to occasionally lose track of the bottom line - that law school, with all its debt incurring ramifications, is still three years of my life (and my twenties, no less!) and that while yes, the future should always be a consideration, that doesn't necessarily mean the present shouldn't be at all. By no means should you be choosing Pepperdine over T14 because it's in sunny Malibu, but if your heart belongs to Duke and you hate NYC, I don't think it's always so simple as "HYS > CCN > MVP/B > DNCG". Everyone on the board has varying priorities - some are V10 or bust, some are debt-averse, some are IPsecure, some have particular biases for or against certain geographical locations. Law school will always be a gamble to a certain extent, regardless of where you go (excluding maybe HYS). In the end, it's your money, it's your three years, and it's your choice to gamble. Sometimes the best school for you is not the best school for TLS.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:23 pm

Marionberry wrote:
This. I find if I let myself get pulled into the TLSness of it all, that it's kind of spiritually/emotionally toxic for me. I try to swear it off, but when I'm stuck at work for 8 horus with nothing to do, and TLS being one of the few sites not blocked by our firewall, I always come back. Right now I'm just trying to not be a dick to people when I post or get caught up in bickering, which are the worst parts of it for me.
This, exactly! You get tired of reading wikipedia articles about dinosaurs after a few hours.

Not to say I haven't enjoyed all the dog/pet advice/threads :)
Last edited by czelede on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:23 pm

naterj wrote:

Then go back to your hypersensitive support group and menstruate in a place secluded from the "assholes" and "egos" you whiny twat.
Man, maybe I was wrong, no assholes in here at all.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:26 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
naterj wrote:

Man, maybe I was wrong, no assholes in here at all.
:lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:28 pm

naterj wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
ATR wrote:
If you ever decide to go I expect you to go out with a bang. See capitalcq.
I'm sure i'll do one better.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:29 pm

What is the capitolACQ story?

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:32 pm

TLS changes everything. I was going to ED to GULC before I found it.

ETA: I've also learned a million abbreviations like GULC, ED and ETA
Last edited by lisjjen on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gator1

New

Post by gator1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm

if you can't deal with assholes then get out the kitchen lol because im going in the courtoom looking to mindfuck you!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Marionberry wrote:What is the capitolACQ story?
He dickwalled a thread and got permabanned.

Speaking of which, TLS also taught me what a dickwall is. What a valuable online resource for aspiring law students.

redsoxfan2495

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan2495 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:38 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:38 pm

gator1 wrote: im going in the courtoom looking to mindfuck you!
You sound pretty intimidating kid. Do you have a magic wand and cast spells in the courtroom and stuff?

gator1

New

Post by gator1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:42 pm

naterj wrote:
gator1 wrote: im going in the courtoom looking to mindfuck you!
You sound pretty intimidating kid. Do you have a magic wand and cast spells in the courtroom and stuff?
Just a great deal of practice dealing with people and getting what I want.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”