Cornell v. UCLA v. Texas v. Misc.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where ought I go?

Cornell – COA: $230 K
35%
UCLA – COA: $141 K
32%
Texas – COA: $120 K
29%
WUSTL - COA: $60 K
3%
Washington & Lee – COA: $60 K
No votes

Total votes: 34

NorCalBruin

Cornell v. UCLA v. Texas v. Misc.

Postby NorCalBruin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:49 pm

--Job prospects are far and away the most important to me, but other concerns include:
--Cost
--Portability of Degree
--Small, collegial atmosphere.
--Interesting town w/ culture and outdoorsy things to do.

--I went to UCLA for undergrad, so I know that I like LA, and California generally. It's also nice that I will already have a lot of friends in Los Angeles who still live and work there. That said, I'm also willing to make a big change and do something different and live somewhere new.
--I would like a shot at Big Law, but big law is not the end-all-be-all for me.
--Not entirely sure what type of law I'd like to practice yet.

--Other notes:
--Haven't gotten financial aid info from Cornell yet.
--Haven't heard from USC or Georgetown yet.
--Have full tuition scholarships at WUSTL, W&L, Chapman, McGeorge.
--COA includes about 20k a year on rent, food, books, fees, etc., depending on the school.

EDIT: I also have NEVER been to the Midwest, and thus know NOTHING about WUSTL, St. Louis, or anything in that area, which makes me a little hesitant to head that way.

src42

Re: Cornell v. UCLA v. Texas v. Misc.

Postby src42 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:56 pm

I'd say this is gonna be between UCLA and UT. Leaning UCLA, but you should at least visit Texas. Chances are you'll love Austin, but Dallas and Houston aren't as cool, and that's probably where you'd end up working if you went there.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:03 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:--COA includes about 20k a year on rent, food, books, fees, etc., depending on the school.

Penthouse or bust? Caviar and Champagne diet? WSJ subscription? This estimate seems high to me. Since I am deciding between similar schools, my only tidbit is that I wouldn't pay more to go to UCLA over Texas. Austin > Westwood. (I live in Westwood too). I understand you have friends here, but you would make friends anywhere else.

Also, currently live with a UCLA 1L who was UCLA UG too. He chose UCLA with $$$ over Duke at near sticker. He is pretty happy with that decision fwiw, so trusting him and assuming Cornell ~ Duke, choose the $$.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:12 pm

You should really visit St. Louis- I was really impressed with the school on my visit, but not super impressed with career prospects for those who don't want to live in Chicago/the Midwest. If you wan't a great city, it's not a great choice, but you might love it.

Personally I'd go with UCLA in that situation, but Texas would be a fine choice too. You MUST have a preference where you want to work, because realistically, UT will stick you in Texas (and you'd be at a disadvantage as an outsider) vs. UCLA placing you in Cali.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:16 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:--COA includes about 20k a year on rent, food, books, fees, etc., depending on the school.

Penthouse or bust? Caviar and Champagne diet? WSJ subscription? This estimate seems high to me. Since I am deciding between similar schools, my only tidbit is that I wouldn't pay more to go to UCLA over Texas. Austin > Westwood. (I live in Westwood too). I understand you have friends here, but you would make friends anywhere else.

Yea, I like to assume too high rather than too low. 20K is def. too high for W&L, for example, but after books, fees, gas, rent, etc. its probably about right for UCLA.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Limit your considerations to Cornell (cost unknown), UCLA & Texas.

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Definitely UCLA or Texas unless Georgetown or Cornell throw you some money, or USC beats your UCLA scholarship but a significant amount. Between those two, it's a toss-up. I say Texas since you've already done LA and have enough connections to get you back there.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:59 pm

Texas. If you want a fun, interesting town, Austin is calling you. It's also cheaper than UCLA (and both are much cheaper than Cornell). Both will also give you a shot a biglaw and otherwise very good job prospects (Texas' clerkship placement is fantastic, considering its size and rank).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”