Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which should I choose?

Cornell @ 105K
55
58%
Texas @ 70K
40
42%
 
Total votes: 95

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi all!, would appreciate some input on this. A little bit of background. I'm a CA male, will be 23 at start of school. I have no strong geographic preferences and am not particularly debt averse (I have Wustl at 20K total for example but won't choose it over these two options). I won't rule out Big Law but really I'd prefer to jump straight into a Mid Law transactional practice (would love to do trusts and estates if I could get it). I am a serious student but ideally would like to still have a life in law school (work hard/play hard??) Would appreciate any input, and please vote in poll.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:22 pm

Where do you want to live ? What type of weather do you prefer ? Which university has the better football team ?

Frankie55
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby Frankie55 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:23 pm

Cornell is finally offering schollys? Or is your COA cheaper for other reasons?

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:26 pm

Frankie55 wrote:Cornell is finally offering schollys? Or is your COA cheaper for other reasons?


This. Half tuition covered for me. 105K is my estimate of full sticker price at Cornell.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:29 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Where do you want to live ? What type of weather do you prefer ? Which university has the better football team ?


See: "no strong geographic preferences". Prefer perfect weather. Texas better football...but Cornell outlasted them in the NCAA Tourney last year :lol: .

User avatar
jcunni5
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby jcunni5 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:32 pm

ok for work hard play hard mentality i think the obvious choice is TX, Cornell is infamous for being the school where students spend the most time studying and i think it in general isn't super fun or party oriented. Austin is supposed to be an awesome city with a great night life and there is obviously awesome sports and a big ug there too.

Cornell prolly beats TX in terms of getting a good job, and that is the most important consideration, but I imagine that getting smaller texas firms from UT is prolly not that hard

ballpop
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:23 am

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby ballpop » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:33 pm

If you have no geographic preferences (and your soft cali skin can handle real man weather) go to cornell. UT might outplace in in Texas, but anywhere else Cornell>UT

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:36 pm

ballpop wrote:If you have no geographic preferences (and your soft cali skin can handle real man weather) go to cornell. UT might outplace in in Texas, but anywhere else Cornell>UT


haha, I'm Irish and Welsh and I did a semester abroad in Scandinavia. So I can handle it, but at the risk of turning translucent.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:53 pm

bump for more votes :oops:

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:08 pm

Are you cool? If I go to Cornell, would I enjoy having you there? If so, Cornell. If not, UT.


(I'd pick Cornell, but I didn't apply to UT- Do you want to live in Texas or NY?)

ballpop
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:23 am

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby ballpop » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
ballpop wrote:If you have no geographic preferences (and your soft cali skin can handle real man weather) go to cornell. UT might outplace in in Texas, but anywhere else Cornell>UT


haha, I'm Irish and Welsh and I did a semester abroad in Scandinavia. So I can handle it, but at the risk of turning translucent.


You'll fit right in in Ithaca.

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby spacepenguin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:18 pm

Based on your interests I voted for UT. You'll probably have more fun at UT and while the career prospects aren't as good; they're still great. As a former undergrad there though, you might find the hipster/frat culture unbearable...and to a large extent the city is dominated by these two. I'm actually facing a similar decision, though I'm leaning towards Cornell.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:33 pm

spacepenguin wrote:Based on your interests I voted for UT. You'll probably have more fun at UT and while the career prospects aren't as good; they're still great. As a former undergrad there though, you might find the hipster/frat culture unbearable...and to a large extent the city is dominated by these two. I'm actually facing a similar decision, though I'm leaning towards Cornell.


HIPSTERS. Fuck I HATE hipsters. I hope that you lumped hipsters with frat culture because in Texas hipster means something different. I'm living in L.A. where hipsters are people who look and act homeless because it's ironic. Please tell me it's a different sort of hipster. Please please please!!!

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby kwais » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:35 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:Based on your interests I voted for UT. You'll probably have more fun at UT and while the career prospects aren't as good; they're still great. As a former undergrad there though, you might find the hipster/frat culture unbearable...and to a large extent the city is dominated by these two. I'm actually facing a similar decision, though I'm leaning towards Cornell.


HIPSTERS. Fuck I HATE hipsters. I hope that you lumped hipsters with frat culture because in Texas hipster means something different. I'm living in L.A. where hipsters are people who look and act homeless because it's ironic. Please tell me it's a different sort of hipster. Please please please!!!


I'm just here to jump on the hipster-hating bandwagon. good luck with your decision. I vote Cornell.

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby spacepenguin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:49 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:Based on your interests I voted for UT. You'll probably have more fun at UT and while the career prospects aren't as good; they're still great. As a former undergrad there though, you might find the hipster/frat culture unbearable...and to a large extent the city is dominated by these two. I'm actually facing a similar decision, though I'm leaning towards Cornell.


HIPSTERS. Fuck I HATE hipsters. I hope that you lumped hipsters with frat culture because in Texas hipster means something different. I'm living in L.A. where hipsters are people who look and act homeless because it's ironic. Please tell me it's a different sort of hipster. Please please please!!!



Pretty much the exact same thing. Except in Austin, it's not just the students. It's 35 year old men who for whatever reason never grew up. Portland, Seattle, and Austin are known to be the hipster capitals of America.

User avatar
RockyIII
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby RockyIII » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:37 pm

I thought a hipster was just anyone who drinks PBR. Ha.

ballpop
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:23 am

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby ballpop » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:12 am

Cade McNown wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:Based on your interests I voted for UT. You'll probably have more fun at UT and while the career prospects aren't as good; they're still great. As a former undergrad there though, you might find the hipster/frat culture unbearable...and to a large extent the city is dominated by these two. I'm actually facing a similar decision, though I'm leaning towards Cornell.


HIPSTERS. Fuck I HATE hipsters. I hope that you lumped hipsters with frat culture because in Texas hipster means something different. I'm living in L.A. where hipsters are people who look and act homeless because it's ironic. Please tell me it's a different sort of hipster. Please please please!!!


They are both intolerable, but at least hipsters drink beer that isn't horse urine.

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:17 am

Cade McNown wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:Based on your interests I voted for UT. You'll probably have more fun at UT and while the career prospects aren't as good; they're still great. As a former undergrad there though, you might find the hipster/frat culture unbearable...and to a large extent the city is dominated by these two. I'm actually facing a similar decision, though I'm leaning towards Cornell.


HIPSTERS. Fuck I HATE hipsters. I hope that you lumped hipsters with frat culture because in Texas hipster means something different. I'm living in L.A. where hipsters are people who look and act homeless because it's ironic. Please tell me it's a different sort of hipster. Please please please!!!


:lol:

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby T6Hopeful » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:13 am

kwais wrote:I'm just here to jump on the hipster-hating bandwagon. good luck with your decision. I vote Cornell.


I'm also here to hate on hipsters. As for your decision, from what I've heard Cornell isn't too great for placing outside the Northeast, while Texas does very well in the South. I wouldn't go so far as to call Cornell regional, but moreso than the rest of the T14. I would say Texas, since colder weather sucks.

User avatar
Gatriel
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby Gatriel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:01 am

Ithica <<<<< Austin.

UT has a great program.

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby spacepenguin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:19 am

Gatriel wrote:Ithica <<<<< Austin.

UT has a great program.



and Cornell>>>UT

so...

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby KMaine » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:34 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
kwais wrote:I'm just here to jump on the hipster-hating bandwagon. good luck with your decision. I vote Cornell.


I'm also here to hate on hipsters. As for your decision, from what I've heard Cornell isn't too great for placing outside the Northeast, while Texas does very well in the South. I wouldn't go so far as to call Cornell regional, but moreso than the rest of the T14. I would say Texas, since colder weather sucks.


Interesting. So it is o.k. that Texas is regional, but not o.k. that Cornell is not exactly regional (even though it seems much more portable than Texas)? Also, you really think Cornell is significantly (or at all) more regional than Georgetown, Penn, Berkley, etc? Do you really think it is any easier to get a job in California coming from Duke? Virginia? I know a number of people who are going to the West Coast from Cornell.

OP, for your criteria, I am not really sure. Cornell should offer you more options, and if they give you a little financial aid. cost will be close. Texas seems to be (very slightly) more the environment and, to a greater degree, more the weather you want. You say you want to do Midlaw. If you don't mind doing that in Texas, it is probably a decent option.

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby spacepenguin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:40 am

KMaine wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:
kwais wrote:I'm just here to jump on the hipster-hating bandwagon. good luck with your decision. I vote Cornell.


I'm also here to hate on hipsters. As for your decision, from what I've heard Cornell isn't too great for placing outside the Northeast, while Texas does very well in the South. I wouldn't go so far as to call Cornell regional, but moreso than the rest of the T14. I would say Texas, since colder weather sucks.


Interesting. So it is o.k. that Texas is regional, but not o.k. that Cornell is not exactly regional (even though it seems much more portable than Texas)? Also, you really think Cornell is significantly (or at all) more regional than Georgetown, Penn, Berkley, etc? Do you really think it is any easier to get a job in California coming from Duke? Virginia? I know a number of people who are going to the West Coast from Cornell.

OP, for your criteria, I am not really sure. Cornell should offer you more options, and if they give you a little financial aid. cost will be close. Texas seems to be (very slightly) more the environment and, to a greater degree, more the weather you want. You say you want to do Midlaw. If you don't mind doing that in Texas, it is probably a decent option.



He's saying that all things equal--both schools being regional in his opinion-- that UT would be more desirable given OPs goals.

Also, I think we've concluded that hipsters are the bane of humanity and thus have made the decision for you to attend Cornell.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby KMaine » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:49 am

On that construction, I mostly agree, and am not sure that Cornell is the best choice for OP. However, I would contend that Texas is much more regional than Cornell, and Cornell is not significantly more regional than much of the t-14.

dddhhh
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Postby dddhhh » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:51 am

Since you have no geographic preference, I voted Cornell. If you are a fun person you will find fun wherever you go. Austin, however, might be a little too fun and distract you from your overall goals.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests