UC Irvine $ vs. Waitlist (BU, Fordham) vs. Emory $

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Metaread

UC Irvine $ vs. Waitlist (BU, Fordham) vs. Emory $

Postby Metaread » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:09 pm

Alright, so this isn't quite as clear cut a choice as other polls. But I'm on the waitlist for BU and Fordham, which are two schools high on my list, due to the ability to practice in either Boston or NYC after graduating from BU, and the ability to practice in a nice firm in NYC after grad from Fordham. But Emory is offering me 45k and I don't mind Atlanta (though tbh I've never stepped foot there), though I don't like it quite as much as NYC, and I hear some Emoryites can practice at NYC but VERY FEW....should I stay on the waitlist on the hopes of getting a scholarship? Is it even worth it? Also, UC I seems nice, the stats for admitted students are high, but it's risky as it's a new (and as yet unaccredited, til the summer at least) school. Also, the lack of an alumni base and competition with USC, UCLA etc for California internships and jobs has me a bit worried. I am a bit more comfortable with the idea of practicing in California vs. Georgia though....

P.S. Was going to post this in the acceptances, Denials and waitlists forum but it seemed to fit better here.
Last edited by Metaread on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PomasThynchon

Re: Waitlist (BU, Fordham) vs. Emory $

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Metaread wrote:Alright, so this isn't quite as clear cut a choice as other polls. But I'm on the waitlist for BU and Fordham, which are two schools high on my list, due to the ability to practice in either Boston or NYC after graduating from BU, and the ability to practice in a nice firm in NYC after grad from Fordham. But Emory is offering me 45k and I don't mind Atlanta (though tbh I've never stepped foot there), though I don't like it quite as much as NYC, and I hear some Emoryites can practice at NYC but VERY FEW....should I stay on the waitlist on the hopes of getting a scholarship? Is it even worth it?

I should also mention USC and U Washington haven't gotten back to me, stats are 3.4 GPA and 166 LSAT. Thoughts?

P.S. Was going to post this in the acceptances, Denials and waitlists forum but it seemed to fit better here.

Unless it costs money to stay on the waitlists, the answer is an unequivocal yes. If you want to practice in Boston or NYC, I would hesitate to go to Emory. NYC is wide open as far as I know, but Boston seems like a fairly parochial town.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:15 pm

If I understand your post, Emory is your only choice at the moment. Send LOCIs to BU & Fordham & evaluate your options when you have more than one. Emory placed in the top 25 law schools on the most recent list of the Nat'l Law journal's Go-To-Law-Schools placing a respectable 21% in the nations largest 250 law firms. Emory, however, is unlikely to get you to Boston unless you do very well in class rank & publish & edit for the law review or do well on the moot court team.

dshirs32

Postby dshirs32 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:16 pm

What is the choice? Right now you are waitlisted, which may never turn into an acceptance, so I'm really not sure what you're even asking. And why not stay on the waitlist...couldn't hurt. Good luck

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:56 am

Yeah, it's just with financial aid deposits due...and Emory wants an initial deposit and they're asking about my disposition towards Emory (i.e. are you still considering other schools). It's not like they can change that acceptance into a denial, but still......

LOCI it is. What should I say on them? So far I've given very formal thank yous to both BU and Fordham, and some LOCI to Fordham about my current activities. Since I do similar activities month to month (I'm continuing in my internship, for example), it doesn't seem I can update them much. I should just talk about why I want to go to BU and Fordham right? Like this? "I would like to reiterate my interest in X university law school, especially since I have family in New York/Boston (true on both counts)....."

Thanks for the extra info on Emory's contextual place within the East Coast.

Metaread

Re: UC Irvine $ vs. Waitlist (BU, Fordham) vs. Emory $

Postby Metaread » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:17 pm

Sorry for double post, but this thread has been updated with UCI added so now there's more of a dilemma. Some say UCI quite a risk, others say go for it. The lack of an alumni base, student orgs (though some have been created by students)....and yet, the faculty are great, the tuition offer is nice....

What do you guys think?

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:24 pm

This seems really scattershot. Surely you have some idea where you want to practice more specifically than NYC or Boston or California, no?

Generally speaking, I think Fordham or BU would at sticker are horrible choices, and I doubt you'll get money coming off the waitlist. Both NYC and Boston have outrageous costs of living, and there's no guarantee of BigLaw from either school. In fact, I've heard it's been a bloodbath at BU lately.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:39 am

I like all three areas, frankly, and I have family in all three, and in Atlanta too. Atlanta is a relative unknown for me though, never been there.

So you'd recommend UCI or Emory right? Which one, do you think? Isn't it difficult to get Biglaw jobs there as well?

Army2Law

Postby Army2Law » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:49 am

I'd go with Emory if you don't get BU or Fordham. Cali's economy is f'd and UCI is the 3rd best school in an under 50 mile radius with a non-existent alumni base. Atlanta is a nice city, OP. If you can't get a job in NYC or Boston there are worse places to be relegated to.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:01 am

Atlanta has a huge crime rate though (among top 3 worst in the States). Even if some neighborhoods there are relatively crime-free. That's one thing that makes me a bit wary about Atlanta (and the fact I'll have to learn to drive as soon as I get there, and buy a car too--this wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't overseas until August).

So you'd support me aiming for BU rather than the others, right? Betting on a waitlist with deposits due in April doesn't seem like a good thing...but I guess I have no choice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”