UGA 21k vs Pepperdine full vs W&L 35k (per year for all)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WAinCO

UGA 21k vs Pepperdine full vs W&L 35k (per year for all)

Postby WAinCO » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:07 pm

Hey everyone, new user on TLS but familiar with the board from guest reading over the last year or so. Originally from Washington but living in Colorado to get residency as CU was my top choice before my LSAT results came back. I guess I used the shotgun affect when applying this fall. I sent out 16 apps mostly because I received fee waivers. Planning on pursuing the JAG route with the USAF out of school. Thanks guys, have appreciated all of your insight and advice through this process!

Here are some of my other choices, with the top 3 being the subject of this thread...(all per year)
Cardozo, Hofstra, and Baylor full ride.
George Mason 15k offer.
Loyola (CA) 29k.
CU boulder (scholarship info not received)
Seton Hall 35k
Uminn-accepted
Havent heard from UVA, OSU, or the long long long shot...my dads Alma mater YLS
Last edited by WAinCO on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarbellDreams

Re: UGA 21k scholly vs Pepperdine full ride vs W&L 35k scholly

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Pepperdine is out because a fullride from Cardozo is the better option. W&L is an interesting option, but you have to tell me what you expect the total CoA to be with that scholly. Right now I feel like, assuming no stips or very easy stips Dozo is the front-runner.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:04 pm

Georgia, Wash & Lee, Pepperdine & Colorado offer the best quality of life, in my opinion. Is the W&L scholarship $35,000 per year or $35,000 over three years. Did Georgia offer tuition equalization ?

WAinCO

Postby WAinCO » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:18 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Pepperdine is out because a fullride from Cardozo is the better option. W&L is an interesting option, but you have to tell me what you expect the total CoA to be with that scholly. Right now I feel like, assuming no stips or very easy stips Dozo is the front-runner.

Estimates from Dozo come to around 25k per year, 13k just to housing. No stips on the offer from Dozo. W&L "maintain good academic standing", cost estimates are at 22k with 16k of that for housing.
I know none of my acceptances are T14 but I am debating whether it is worth it to give up some serious $$ to gain some spots in rankings (W&L, OSU, Minn, UGA)
Location is not an issue for me between these schools, since I will likely not end up anywhere near them with the Air Force.

WAinCO

Postby WAinCO » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:20 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Georgia, Wash & Lee, Pepperdine & Colorado offer the best quality of life, in my opinion. Is the W&L scholarship $35,000 per year or $35,000 over three years. Did Georgia offer tuition equalization ?

Thanks, I agree with that. The W&L is per year for 3 years. Yes, thank you Georgias is the equalization offer, "claiming" GA residency is likely....so not necessarily taking that to the bank :wink:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:23 pm

Which is going to give you the best chance at JAG?

What if you don't make JAG?

WAinCO

Postby WAinCO » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks again for the input! Also, do you really think Pepp should be thrown out with the Dozo offer? To be honest before their snail mail I had never even heard of them...granted I am from the WC!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:26 pm

WAinCO wrote:Thanks again for the input! Also, do you really think Pepp should be thrown out with the Dozo offer? To be honest before their snail mail I had never even heard of them...granted I am from the WC!

Yes, especially since, iirc, Pepperdine has something like 1/3 stips?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:31 pm

WAinCO wrote:Thanks again for the input! Also, do you really think Pepp should be thrown out with the Dozo offer? To be honest before their snail mail I had never even heard of them...granted I am from the WC!

I'd advise you to visit Pepperdine before dropping them. I know someone who went to Pepperdine for law school and loved it. Malibu ain't a bad place to spend three years.

WAinCO

Postby WAinCO » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:43 pm

bk1 wrote:Which is going to give you the best chance at JAG?

What if you don't make JAG?

If I dont make it in im going to quit law school and move into a shack right on this nice river in WA.

I am not sure which is going to give me the best shot from what recruiters and active JAGs tell me:
caliber of school
performance in 1L and 2L (the program I want offers acceptence after 1L and 2L...3L too but I hope to not have to wait, acceptance means a slot in OCS then commissioning pending graduation/completion of BAR

WAinCO

Postby WAinCO » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:46 pm

bk1 wrote:

Yes, especially since, iirc, Pepperdine has something like 1/3 stips?

You are right, they state that in the scholarship letter. I got the deans scholarship for 42k, renewable 3yrs if I maintain top 1/3 of class...it even states that there might be more than 1/3 of entering class the deans scholarship :?

OGR3 wrote:

I'd advise you to visit Pepperdine before dropping them. I know someone who went to Pepperdine for law school and loved it. Malibu ain't a bad place to spend three years.

Do you know what that person is doing now for work, do you know if contacts through the school helped out with it if so?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:01 pm

If your intention is to become a member of the U.S. Air Force JAG Corps, then Pepperdine may be the best option since the Air Force has a strong Christian contingency. Baylor also fits well, but Malibu outshines Waco, in my opinion.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:06 pm

WAinCO wrote:Do you know what that person is doing now for work, do you know if contacts through the school helped out with it if so?

PM'd

Return to “Choosing a Law School”