GW $$ or Illinois $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GW or UICL

GW 105k
24
80%
UICL 120k
6
20%
 
Total votes: 30

User avatar
enron123
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:45 pm

GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby enron123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:45 pm

So I got my offer from GW and I'm a bit checked out at work so I wanted to get a sense of how the TLS communitty felt about these two options. For Illinois it is full tuition guaranteed over the three years and for GW it is 90k tuition with a 15k housing stipend for year 1 with the stipulation that I maintain a 3.0.

I am interested in working in PI law (not to say that I will pursue something in this area) and do have a preference for working in the DC area/EC than the midwest. That being said I am also debt averse and think that my total loans going to GW would be somewhere around 100k after Law school in DC while figuring in lower COL would likely be around 60 at Illinois.

I imagine other TLS users are in similar bots and you T-14/T6 guys I invite you to say retake at your liesure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by enron123 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby thexfactor » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:48 pm

enron123 wrote:So I got my offer from GW and I'm a bit checked out at work so I wanted to get a sense of how the TLS communitty felt about these two options. For Illinois it is full tuition guaranteed over the three years and for GW it is 90k tuition with a 15k housing stipend for year 1 with the stipulation that I maintain a 3.0.

I am interested in working in PI law and do have a preference for working in the DC area/EC than the midwest. That being said I am also debt averse and think that my total loans going to GW would be somewhere around 100k after Law school in DC while figuring in lower COL would likely be around 60 at Illinois.

I imagine other TLS users are in similar bots and you T-14/T6 guys I invite you to say retake at your liesure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!



go to GW. Easier to get a PI job. IBR pays off your loans in 10 years anyways if you work for a non profit institution. If you get into anything better, then go there.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby Hannibal » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:50 pm

GW due to preference.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:55 pm

enron123 wrote:So I got my offer from GW and I'm a bit checked out at work so I wanted to get a sense of how the TLS communitty felt about these two options. For Illinois it is full tuition guaranteed over the three years and for GW it is 90k tuition with a 15k housing stipend for year 1 with the stipulation that I maintain a 3.0.

I am interested in working in PI law (not to say that I will pursue something in this area) and do have a preference for working in the DC area/EC than the midwest. That being said I am also debt averse and think that my total loans going to GW would be somewhere around 100k after Law school in DC while figuring in lower COL would likely be around 60 at Illinois.

I imagine other TLS users are in similar bots and you T-14/T6 guys I invite you to say retake at your liesure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!


I got the same GW offer. I think it's pretty solid. You're still going to be 100k in the hole at the end of 3 years, but I think that makes up for GW's less-than-stellar LRAP program. A curve/median of 3.3 makes the scholarship virtually contingent-free. You'd really have to be slacking to get a sub 3.0.

User avatar
BrianGriffintheDog
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:14 am

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:59 pm

I said GW. I think 15k difference in scholarship is pretty much nothing when they're similarly ranked. The main reason I chose GW is because there's only one other school that GW's gotta compete within the same region (DC), which is Georgetown. Illinois, however, gotta compete with Chicago as well as NorthWestern.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:00 pm

I would negotiate with GW to get rid of those stipulations.

User avatar
enron123
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby enron123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Hannibal wrote:GW due to preference.


I have no plans on slacking at all but if I were to get sick or something (I dunno any unforeseen awful scenario) I wouldn't want to lose my scholly as a result

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:02 pm

BrianGriffintheDog wrote:I said GW. I think 15k difference in scholarship is pretty much nothing when they're similarly ranked. The main reason I chose GW is because there's only one other school that GW's gotta compete within the same region (DC), which is Georgetown. Illinois, however, gotta compete with Chicago as well as NorthWestern.


Bahahahahahahahaha. I like GW, but saying they only have one school to compete with is absolutely ludicrous.

User avatar
mez06
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby mez06 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:05 pm

BrianGriffintheDog wrote:I said GW. I think 15k difference in scholarship is pretty much nothing when they're similarly ranked. The main reason I chose GW is because there's only one other school that GW's gotta compete within the same region (DC), which is Georgetown. Illinois, however, gotta compete with Chicago as well as NorthWestern.


Not really a valid point. Chicago market is bigger than DC's. And also consider the fact that DC is a more desirable place to practice in terms of people from other schools eye-balling that locale (T-14ers + WM + Howard).

But with that said, I think it comes down to where your preferences take you. UIUC is in nature a heavy science background school. 100K and under isn't bad considering the overall costs of law school. Do well at both, and you'll have a job. Do you really love the EC or could you actually live and enjoy the midwest?

Have you visited either?

User avatar
enron123
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby enron123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:09 pm

mez06 wrote:Do you really love the EC or could you actually live and enjoy the midwest?

Have you visited either?


I like the EC and work in DC currently. I plan on visiting both and don't think the EC is the only place that I could survive

User avatar
mez06
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby mez06 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:15 pm

FYI, If you have a full-ride at Illinois and only have to pay COL expenses, then you should come under 60k.

That 20k is an excessive estimation. Even USNews has the COL expenses hovering at 10k. Without drilling down the specific numbers, I'm thinking 15k sounds more accurate. FWIW, I'm also considering attending Illinois vs. an east coast school. I'll be at the April ASD.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:19 pm

I disagree. As far as stipulations go, minimum 3.0 on a 3.3 curve is about as good as it gets. It's still pressure, but if I got low enough grades to lose my scholly I'd drop out--with the first year scholly I'd only be just under 20k in the hole.

User avatar
enron123
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby enron123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:21 pm

mez06 wrote:FYI, If you have a full-ride at Illinois and only have to pay COL expenses, then you should come under 60k.

That 20k is an excessive estimation. Even USNews has the COL expenses hovering at 10k. Without drilling down the specific numbers, I'm thinking 15k sounds more accurate. FWIW, I'm also considering attending Illinois vs. an east coast school. I'll be at the April ASD.


I'll probably be there as well, my scholarship does not include housing so I think around 20k per makes sense thats what the profile here estimates http://www.top-law-schools.com/illinois ... f-law.html

User avatar
enron123
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby enron123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:22 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:I disagree. As far as stipulations go, minimum 3.0 on a 3.3 curve is about as good as it gets. It's still pressure, but if I got low enough grades to lose my scholly I'd drop out--with the first year scholly I'd only be just under 20k in the hole.


I like receiving well reasoned advise fron BMG Tobias, thank you TLS

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:22 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:I disagree. As far as stipulations go, minimum 3.0 on a 3.3 curve is about as good as it gets. It's still pressure, but if I got low enough grades to lose my scholly I'd drop out--with the first year scholly I'd only be just under 20k in the hole.


I didn't know GW curves to a 3.3. That seems way more reasonable. I would still attempt to get them to take off the stips, but I think GW is the right choice.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:30 pm

enron123 wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:I disagree. As far as stipulations go, minimum 3.0 on a 3.3 curve is about as good as it gets. It's still pressure, but if I got low enough grades to lose my scholly I'd drop out--with the first year scholly I'd only be just under 20k in the hole.


I like receiving well reasoned advise fron BMG Tobias, thank you TLS


Haters gonna hate. I was a professional twice over-an analyst and a therapist, the world's first...

But as someone who might go to GW, how grim is it for say, top third. I don't want to be begging for the scraps of T14 grads. And from what I've heard, DC is one of the least parochial markets in the country, so being there might by help too much.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby showNprove » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Stipulations suck, but a 3.0 on a 3.3 curve is not bad. If the distribution is similar to UVA, you would be in about the bottom 15% of the class with a GPA lower than 3.0. GWU is also the better school (in the opinions of most), so take the plunge. Enjoy DC.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Have you visited both law schools ?

User avatar
enron123
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby enron123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:21 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Have you visited both law schools ?


No I have not, plan on visiting GW in the next week or so and going to their open house in April. For Illinois I have to figure out with work when I can take a day or two and get out to Urbana, I do plan on visiting both though.

User avatar
bender18
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby bender18 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:13 pm

So I know that most people say that GULC's LRAP is way better than GW's, but can someone explain why? Is it because they cover more?

User avatar
enron123
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby enron123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:27 pm

bender18 wrote:So I know that most people say that GULC's LRAP is way better than GW's, but can someone explain why? Is it because they cover more?

Pretty sure its because they rejected me

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:47 pm

bender18 wrote:So I know that most people say that GULC's LRAP is way better than GW's, but can someone explain why? Is it because they cover more?

They cover the same types of jobs: full-time, JD-required work for a non-profit or government agency.

GULC will pay your IBR payments if you make $75,000 or less, and pro-rates it for salaries beyond $75k. This means that people aiming for the 10-year public service debt forgiveness might never pay a dime on their loans (or very little), which is pretty sweet.

GWU uses a different calculation, where they pay the difference between $37,000 and your "adjusted net income" which is your gross income minus your annual loan obligation minus some deductions for children and spouse, up to a maximum of $8,000 per year. They don't require enrollment in IBR, so you could probably repay your loans more quickly using GWU's LRAP, but that's kind of pointless if you plan on doing PI for 10 years and getting the balance forgiven.

What ends up happening with GWU's program is GWU probably pays you more than GULC (and thus you're paying down your debt faster), but you're going to have less take-home pay. If you're not gunning for the 10-year forgiveness, though, it might be better.

User avatar
bender18
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby bender18 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:54 pm

fatduck wrote:
bender18 wrote:So I know that most people say that GULC's LRAP is way better than GW's, but can someone explain why? Is it because they cover more?

They cover the same types of jobs: full-time, JD-required work for a non-profit or government agency.

GULC will pay your IBR payments if you make $75,000 or less, and pro-rates it for salaries beyond $75k. This means that people aiming for the 10-year public service debt forgiveness might never pay a dime on their loans (or very little), which is pretty sweet.

GWU uses a different calculation, where they pay the difference between $37,000 and your "adjusted net income" which is your gross income minus your annual loan obligation minus some deductions for children and spouse, up to a maximum of $8,000 per year. They don't require enrollment in IBR, so you could probably repay your loans more quickly using GWU's LRAP, but that's kind of pointless if you plan on doing PI for 10 years and getting the balance forgiven.

What ends up happening with GWU's program is GWU probably pays you more than GULC (and thus you're paying down your debt faster), but you're going to have less take-home pay. If you're not gunning for the 10-year forgiveness, though, it might be better.


Wow, thanks for the explanation. That's really helpful. I've heard people say that a lot of times a better LRAP beats scholarship money, but with 106k at GW and significantly less at GULC, I don't know if that's true.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:00 pm

bender18 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
bender18 wrote:So I know that most people say that GULC's LRAP is way better than GW's, but can someone explain why? Is it because they cover more?

They cover the same types of jobs: full-time, JD-required work for a non-profit or government agency.

GULC will pay your IBR payments if you make $75,000 or less, and pro-rates it for salaries beyond $75k. This means that people aiming for the 10-year public service debt forgiveness might never pay a dime on their loans (or very little), which is pretty sweet.

GWU uses a different calculation, where they pay the difference between $37,000 and your "adjusted net income" which is your gross income minus your annual loan obligation minus some deductions for children and spouse, up to a maximum of $8,000 per year. They don't require enrollment in IBR, so you could probably repay your loans more quickly using GWU's LRAP, but that's kind of pointless if you plan on doing PI for 10 years and getting the balance forgiven.

What ends up happening with GWU's program is GWU probably pays you more than GULC (and thus you're paying down your debt faster), but you're going to have less take-home pay. If you're not gunning for the 10-year forgiveness, though, it might be better.


Wow, thanks for the explanation. That's really helpful. I've heard people say that a lot of times a better LRAP beats scholarship money, but with 106k at GW and significantly less at GULC, I don't know if that's true.

Well, if you're set on PI/govt for 10 years, it almost doesn't matter how much debt you take at GULC. Then again, good positions like that are not easy to get. GWU's LRAP seems to operate more as a safety net for people making really meager wages, like in the $20-40k range, than as a stipend for people doing prestigious gov't and PI work. If you get a job paying $75k/yr you aren't getting a dime from GWU, where GULC is still making your entire loan payment.

User avatar
bender18
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: GW $$ or Illinois $$$

Postby bender18 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:09 pm

So I guess some people think that because of Georgetown's LRAP and better chance at PI or even big law for that matter, it makes sense to pass up GW's scholly offer for GULC.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kolikotime, Pozzo and 3 guests