How much do law clinics really matter? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
azbio

New

How much do law clinics really matter?

Post by azbio » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:59 am

I am a 0L still trying to make decisions about where to attend. As I've researched a variety of schools, I've found some legal clinics that seem really interesting. Some of the schools that I really like, however, don't have much by means of legal clinics. I'm trying to determine how much weight I should give to these clinics in my decision-making process.

Anyone know what kind of an impact participation in a clinic might have on job prospects?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Re: How much do law clinics really matter?

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Doing a clinic in an area you are interested in practicing looks pretty good on a resume because it gives you hands on experience in the field. I wouldn't make a school choice based solely on clinics, but it may have at least some weight in my choice.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:52 pm

While they are beneficial because they provide hands-on training, they probably will not help you get a job.

shawty18ga

Bronze

Post by shawty18ga » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Depends on the clinic and what you want to do. The local state attorney said that he hires almost exclusively from my school's prosecution clinic.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:26 pm

FWIW, my clinical experience was awesome. It was definitely towards the top of my favorite lawschool experiences.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:26 pm

get good grades... nothing else matters

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:38 pm

If you want to work in public interest or for the government after law school, then taking a clinic in the same area will look great on your resume. It'll help show your commitment to the field, and it'll help you build connections. If you know what kind of legal work you want to do, then you should absolutely care about your potential school's clinics and how they align with your interests.

On the other hand, if you want to work for a law firm, then clinics do not matter. Though, they can still be fun/enriching/blah blah.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”