Washburn, Kansas, Denver, Creighton?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gobuffs10

Washburn, Kansas, Denver, Creighton?

Postby gobuffs10 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:24 pm

The attorney I work with and a former judge in Denver met wit me a few weeks ago to discuss my options for next year. I told them that I was hoping to hold out a year, improve my LSAT, get some work experience and try for UW-Madison next year.

They have encouraged me to apply to Washburn, Kansas, Creighton, and Denver, and said that if I get in to any of them I ought to go rather than wait a year for something that may not happen anyway.

Denver and KU are both longshots right now, and Washburn and Creighton are maybes. I don't know a lot about Washburn or Creighton, and the only KU grad I know has a pretty good job here in Denver, but he also graduated before the market went to hell.

Does anyone have any opinions on these four schools? If I get in, should I just go, or would it be wise to wait to potentially go where I want and also go to a better school? My concerns are that I'd rather not live in Kansas or Nebraska, and I also wonder if attorneys who got work 15 years ago are really in the best spot to advise me on prospects in this market.

EDIT: probably should have mentioned that I applied to DU and KU, Washburn and Creighton have deadlines a long ways off.

I'm waiting to hear back on a job with the courts, so that would factor in as well. Thoughts on these schools, especially from people who go to them or are familiar with them? I know the TTT label is going to come up, but have at it.

CanadianWolf

Re: Washburn, Kansas, Denver, Creighton?

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Wait, retake the LSAT & go to Wisconsin. Washburn & Creighton should not be options unless you have a post law school position assured with a family firm or current employer. Denver & Kansas are more attracxtive options, but Wisconsin is the best choice.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:14 pm

Thanks. That was my thought process as well. The Creighton app is free and my mom has been begging me to apply there, so I'll do it anyway to make her happy.

I'm far from guaranteed a position, otherwise I wouldn't care so much. My uncle is the only attorney at his practice and refuses to take anyone on (he has told me for years to avoid law school), and the firm I work at now is with a family friend in a pretty full private firm, so no lock there either.

KU is likely a reject, as is DU. The judge offered to call DU personally but I told him no; that doesn't really sit well with me. I don't want to take a spot from someone who deserves it and I also don't want to get into a mid-tier school because of a favor. That just makes me feel shitty about myself, really.

I probably need the year to think anyway.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:38 pm

gobuffs10 wrote:My uncle is the only attorney at his practice and refuses to take anyone on (he has told me for years to avoid law school)

Why haven't you listened to him?

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:41 pm

KU and DU are really good schools, go to the one where you would feel comfortable working around there. Also, no way you are getting in now. You have a 2.5 gpa? My gpa sucks so I am not judging, just curious as to how you actually did that and how you plan on explaining this.

Good rule of thumb is that you have to be above at least one of the schools medians (LSAT or GPA) in order to be accepted, and LSAT > GPA because USNWR values LSAT at .125 and GPA at .100.

You are under both medians at DU and KU so you have no shot. That judge went to law schools when phone calls mattered more and basically anyone could go to law school if they had the money to pay for it. Sucks but you actually HAVE to retake if you want law school. Get a 160 at minimum.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:56 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:KU and DU are really good schools, go to the one where you would feel comfortable working around there. Also, no way you are getting in now. You have a 2.5 gpa? My gpa sucks so I am not judging, just curious as to how you actually did that and how you plan on explaining this.

Good rule of thumb is that you have to be above at least one of the schools medians (LSAT or GPA) in order to be accepted, and LSAT > GPA because USNWR values LSAT at .125 and GPA at .100.

You are under both medians at DU and KU so you have no shot. That judge went to law schools when phone calls mattered more and basically anyone could go to law school if they had the money to pay for it. Sucks but you actually HAVE to retake if you want law school. Get a 160 at minimum.

Yeah for sure, I know I have no shot. My grades were great last semester but my transcripts haven't been readjusted by LSAC yet, so I'm not sure what my LSAC GPA is. Probably no more than a 2.7. Hopefully at graduation I'll be close to 3. My parents told me to just apply to as many schools as possible anyway, so I'm going to so they can't give me the, "You'll never know if you don't try" speech, even though I do know.

I did it by going to college and doing absolutely nothing. I am the embodiment of the go to a big school, slack off and party stories. I took a year off and transferred and have gotten straight As and Bs since. I'm going to explain it as immaturity turned into an upward grade trend. That's all I can really do anyway.

I like DU, as it pulls really well in state, but someone on TLS mentioned DU grads moving to New Mexico for 50k a year jobs. Given the expensive sticker price because it's private, I'm hesitant to go there next year.

That 156 was pretty much cold, for what it's worth (not much). I took 2 PTs and thought that since I've always been a great standardized test taker I'd be fine. It's embarrassing, but what I took from it is that with studying I can do better. I took a PowerScore class and am doing the study guide stickied on the LSAT Prep forum here. I start next week for the June test.

Thanks for the input on the schools. I don't know much about KU. My friend's brother is an undergrad there and loves it, but he is a big partier. My cousin says it sucks, but he went to KSU. As far as academics, I know next to nothing.

RVP11 wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:My uncle is the only attorney at his practice and refuses to take anyone on (he has told me for years to avoid law school)

Why haven't you listened to him?

I have considered what he has to say. His points are that he hates seeing families get broken up and that nobody ever told him he wasn't guaranteed to be rich. I don't plan on doing any form of family law, so the income thing is really the only point of his I have considered.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”