Loyola Chicago/ Depaul

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AlphaIncipiens

Loyola Chicago/ Depaul

Postby AlphaIncipiens » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Capped scholarship offers at both, but I will still have a significant amount of debt after graduating. I know these schools are no Northwestern/U.Chicago, but I would like to end up in the Chicago market. I've heard a lot of negatives. Just curious as to whether or not anybody has any sort of opinion on which of these two schools offers better placement. I'm thinking alumni network might be valuable. Any current students out there, or anyone who has any thoughts?

Thanks.

BarbellDreams

Re: Loyola Chicago/ Depaul

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:34 pm

Neither of these schools are a good investment in the oversaturated market that is Chicago. With that said if retaking is not an option Loyola is viewed better and places better than DePaul.

aknecht

Re: Loyola Chicago/ Depaul

Postby aknecht » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:09 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Neither of these schools are a good investment in the oversaturated market that is Chicago. With that said if retaking is not an option Loyola is viewed better and places better than DePaul.

this is the canned response you will get from people at TLS. aside from the advice of retaking in hope of getting in to NW or Chicago, I would say visit both schools. The Loyola facilities are significantly nicer but, from what I've heard, the DePaul alumni network is extremely strong in Chicago.

I think money plays a big issue too. I assume DePaul offered you more money than Loyola did (as in my case) and that might be the defining factor for me. I have heard rumblings about mismanagement of DePaul but have no details on that.

But the best thing to do is to visit both and see which strikes your fancy.

oh and if you don't plan on practicing in Chicago, skip both of these schools entirely.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”