WUSTL ($$) versus Indiana ($$$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

WUSTL ($$) or Indiana ($$$$)?

WUSTL + $$
69%
Indiana + $$$$
31%

Total votes: 45

Attorney

Bronze

WUSTL ($$) versus Indiana ($$$$)

Post by Attorney » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:42 pm

Costs
I figure my total COA over 3 years including rent, beer, heroin, books, Valentine's cards, Xbox Live accounts, etc. at each school is just over $115,000 (nearly $39k per year) at WUSTL and just under $50,000 (around $17k per year) at Indiana. IU is close to tuition-free, whereas WUSTL is meeting me somewhere in the middle.

Placement
I don't care that much about Big Law specifically, but in a good economy WUSTL places 30% in Big Law while Indiana is around 10-15%. ITE, WU is around 20% while Indiana is <10%. Big Law is an unrealistic goal from either school, and I may be the type who would burn out working 80 hours a week anyway. But insofar as those numbers are a proxy for overall placement in general (are they?), WUSTL tends to place better than Indiana by a significant margin. Then again, hiring directors apparently like Maurer for some reason.

Grades
Conventional wisdom on this board is that one can't assume better grades at a lower ranked school. At the same time, I find the potential class at WUSTL fairly intimidating. There are quite a few people on TLS taking large schollies at WUSTL over sticker-priced spots in the T14. I haven't seen that type of movement on the Indiana forums, despite the huge schollies they're giving out this year.

Markets
I have been somewhat enamored with the St. Louis region (caves, Ozarks, etc.) since I was like 10 years old. Indianapolis is just kind of "meh" to me until I see it, which I will soon. My feeling is that if I went to WUSTL, I'd be pretty happy staying in St. Louis forever, but if I went to Indiana I would probably try to come back "home" eventually and work in DC or NYC or SF (areas I have lived in previously... I find them a bit too expensive for the long term, yet they are comfortable to me). If I could place in Chicago from either school, I'd be fairly happy there too. But obviously it's probably harder to get a job in DC or Chicago from Indiana than it is to get a job in St. Louis or Chicago from St. Louis. That's my thinking anyway.

So the choice boils down to: take the money and run in Bloomington, or pay up a bit (but still on splitter scholarship) for "Lawl School in the Lou." Thanks for yo' help.

Hannibal

Gold

Re: WUSTL ($$) versus Indiana ($$$$)

Post by Hannibal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:54 pm

I think your love of St. Louis seals it for WUSTL.

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:57 pm

If you love St. Louis but feel 'meh' about Indy, then WUSTL is a lock.

PSUFB1114

New

Post by PSUFB1114 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:26 pm

[quote="Attorney"]Costs
I figure my total COA over 3 years including rent, beer, heroin, books, Valentine's cards, Xbox Live accounts, etc. at each school is just over $115,000 (nearly $39k per year) at WUSTL and just under $50,000 (around $17k per year) at Indiana. IU is close to tuition-free, whereas WUSTL is meeting me somewhere in the middle.

Placement
I don't care that much about Big Law specifically, but in a good economy WUSTL places 30% in Big Law while Indiana is around 10-15%. ITE, WU is around 20% while Indiana is <10%. Big Law is an unrealistic goal from either school, and I may be the type who would burn out working 80 hours a week anyway. But insofar as those numbers are a proxy for overall placement in general (are they?), WUSTL tends to place better than Indiana by a significant margin. Then again, hiring directors apparently like Maurer for some reason.

Grades
Conventional wisdom on this board is that one can't assume better grades at a lower ranked school. At the same time, I find the potential class at WUSTL fairly intimidating. There are quite a few people on TLS taking large schollies at WUSTL over sticker-priced spots in the T14. I haven't seen that type of movement on the Indiana forums, despite the huge schollies they're giving out this year.

Markets
I have been somewhat enamored with the St. Louis region (caves, Ozarks, etc.) since I was like 10 years old. Indianapolis is just kind of "meh" to me until I see it, which I will soon. My feeling is that if I went to WUSTL, I'd be pretty happy staying in St. Louis forever, but if I went to Indiana I would probably try to come back "home" eventually and work in DC or NYC or SF (areas I have lived in previously... I find them a bit too expensive for the long term, yet they are comfortable to me). If I could place in Chicago from either school, I'd be fairly happy there too. But obviously it's probably harder to get a job in DC or Chicago from Indiana than it is to get a job in St. Louis or Chicago from St. Louis. That's my thinking anyway.

So the choice boils down to: take the money and run in Bloomington, or pay up a bit (but still on splitter scholarship) for "Lawl School in the Lou." Thanks for yo' help.[/qu

Both IUB and WUSTL are excellent law schools that give you the same great opportunities to reach your goals, whatever those may be. The main difference I've noticed is that IUB has more money to throw at its students, both prospective and current, as where WUSTL seems to hold a little more weight on the national playing field. I would make your decision based around your own personal financial situation. You've received scholarships from both schools, indicating you have a chance to be successful at either place, so choose the one that's right for you.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:40 pm

I don't know about you, but I'd rather be happy at a better but more costly school than regretful at a better price. Go to WUSTL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks, folks. Helpful comments here!

I was definitely leaning in the way of how the voting has gone, but being quite debt-averse myself I thought ITE conditions would sway many at TLS into saying "minimize debt at all costs".

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:27 pm

Attorney wrote:Thanks, folks. Helpful comments here!

I was definitely leaning in the way of how the voting has gone, but being quite debt-averse myself I thought ITE conditions would sway many at TLS into saying "minimize debt at all costs".
Then that raises the question: can you like Indiana enough to stay there and save yourself the extra $60K+? After you visit (Im assuming for SLD) see how much you like Indiana and if you can sacrifice location for the $$.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:24 am

WUSTL. I'm normally an IU supporter but that isn't that much money for much improved placement.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:06 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:WUSTL. I'm normally an IU supporter but that isn't that much money for much improved placement.
I don't know if I agree with that, but I definitely agree you should head to Wash U if you prefer St. Louis. You have to come to grips with potentially working where you went, and if you love St. Louis... this is a no brainer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:06 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:can you like Indiana enough to stay there and save yourself the extra $60K+? After you visit (Im assuming for SLD) see how much you like Indiana and if you can sacrifice location for the $$.
danquayle wrote:I definitely agree you should head to Wash U if you prefer St. Louis. You have to come to grips with potentially working where you went, and if you love St. Louis... this is a no brainer.
Thanks guys... I guess even though the vote seems lopsided, most people are voting WUSTL because I like St. Louis. I'm still going to visit Indiana and if I don't hate it there... maybe I'll run a poll again in a month without giving such a strong location preference.

I feel like if I had said that I really liked the state of Indiana (and maybe I'll like it, I've never been there) the vote would be closer.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:28 pm

Attorney wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:can you like Indiana enough to stay there and save yourself the extra $60K+? After you visit (Im assuming for SLD) see how much you like Indiana and if you can sacrifice location for the $$.
danquayle wrote:I definitely agree you should head to Wash U if you prefer St. Louis. You have to come to grips with potentially working where you went, and if you love St. Louis... this is a no brainer.
Thanks guys... I guess even though the vote seems lopsided, most people are voting WUSTL because I like St. Louis. I'm still going to visit Indiana and if I don't hate it there... maybe I'll run a poll again in a month without giving such a strong location preference.

I feel like if I had said that I really liked the state of Indiana (and maybe I'll like it, I've never been there) the vote would be closer.
Well yes, because, while Wash U has considerably more reach, both are regional schools. I don't think your options vary too dramatically if you're bottom 25 at either or top 10 at either, but in the middle there'll be a difference.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:28 pm

So what's a WUSTL median grad doing vs an IUb median grad? Granted IUb doesn't place <10pct in nlj250 and wustl is only like 20 something.

beaubois

New

Post by beaubois » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:37 pm

This is the exact same question that I am facing. I am visiting both at the end of March. Right now its a total coin flip.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”