Is the university of texas close to a T14 school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Stanford4Me

Re: Is the university of texas close to a T14 school?

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:08 pm

I always wonder if I should have stuck with UT over NYU. I'll just say that when I interviewed with firms back in December for an SA gig, they all mentioned how they were trying to recruit from T14 schools. Texas is a great school, but it seems like firms are trying to diversify their summer classes. The firm I'll be working with this summer has students from CLS, NYU, Harvard, Georgetown, UVA, Stanford, SMU and Texas. The majority of the SAs are coming from non-Texas school. Obviously, this is only anecdotal evidence.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:12 pm

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:15 pm

awilson11 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:There's a lot to like about Texas, even if you don't realize it. Not having to shovel snow is a plus. Not paying state income tax is a plus. Generally reasonable real estate prices, even in prime areas, is a plus.

These are all things I didn't appreciate until I moved north. Also, it's impossible to find real Tex-Mex style food up here anywhere.

Everyone from southern California just laughed at real and Tex-Mex appearing next to each other

Everyone from New Mexico Laughed at both of you. The crap you can buy calling itself "mexican" or "southwestern" style foods in both those states is a crime in my opinion.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Mexican food doesn't exist outside of mexico, homes

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:17 pm

No one in Texas claims they have Mexican food, which is why its called Tex-Mex. If we wanted real Mexican food, we'd go to Mexico.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:18 pm

However inauthentic "tex-mex" cuisine may be, it is fucking delicious. Chuy's Steak Burrito FTW.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:20 pm

fatduck wrote:Mexican food doesn't exist outside of mexico, homes

Go into the South Valley here in the 'burque, and you will find real mexican food served from real mexican people driving real mexican roach coaches. MMMMMM.

And New Mexican food is the best "southwestern style" food available in the United States. Hell, it is different enough from mexican food that you don't even have to compare them to each other. Like the difference between Thai and Vietnamese food... they both rock, they are both asian, they both use a lot of the same ingredients... but personal preference determines which you like.

Now comparing New Mexican food to Cali and TX food... well, that is like comparing a Thai restaurant to Panda Express.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:24 pm

firemed wrote:
fatduck wrote:Mexican food doesn't exist outside of mexico, homes

Go into the South Valley here in the 'burque, and you will find real mexican food served from real mexican people driving real mexican roach coaches. MMMMMM.

And New Mexican food is the best "southwestern style" food available in the United States. Hell, it is different enough from mexican food that you don't even have to compare them to each other. Like the difference between Thai and Vietnamese food... they both rock, they are both asian, they both use a lot of the same ingredients... but personal preference determines which you like.

Now comparing New Mexican food to Cali and TX food... well, that is like comparing a Thai restaurant to Panda Express.

Actually I tricked you. Mexican food doesn't exist in Mexico, either. Homes.

alright i'm running out of excuses to say "homes"
Last edited by fatduck on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Marionberry wrote:However inauthentic "tex-mex" cuisine may be, it is fucking delicious. Chuy's Steak Burrito FTW.

Since they opened up a Chuy's here in College Station about a month ago or so, the wife and I have eaten there more times than I care to admit to.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:31 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:However inauthentic "tex-mex" cuisine may be, it is fucking delicious. Chuy's Steak Burrito FTW.

Since they opened up a Chuy's here in College Station about a month ago or so, the wife and I have eaten there more times than I care to admit to.

The steak burrito and the Chuychanga are my favorites, with the green chile rice and deluxe tomatillo sauce.

My fiancee and I have lived in Austin for about 7 years each, and we still eat there so much it's ridiculous. She doesn't get burned out on it as fast as I do, though, I don't usually like more than a couple times a month.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:34 pm

Marionberry wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

The steak burrito and the Chuychanga are my favorites, with the green chile rice and deluxe tomatillo sauce.

My fiancee and I have lived in Austin for about 7 years each, and we still eat there so much it's ridiculous. She doesn't get burned out on it as fast as I do, though, I don't usually like more than a couple times a month.

I know how you feel about the fiancee, it seems like every day I ask my wife what she wants for dinner and she goes "mmmm, Chuy's"

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:36 pm

jacketman03 wrote:I know how you feel about the fiancee, it seems like every day I ask my wife what she wants for dinner and she goes "mmmm, Chuy's"

lol This is exactly what I deal with every weekend.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:53 pm

There's not one "Mexican" cuisine. Mexico is a big, diverse, beautiful country with more kinds of food than most Americans can imagine. Ummmm. Now I'm thinking of the fresh shrimp cocktails you can get along the Sonoran coast. I have never, ever found fresher, firmer shrimp, not even in New Orleans. Gulf shrimp are inferior.

Oh, and my mistake. Texas' population has reached twenty-FIVE million. There's opportunity in Lone Star State, more and better, maybe, than in the Northeast or D.C.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:56 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:There's not one "Mexican" cuisine. Mexico is a big, diverse, beautiful country with more kinds of food than most Americans can imagine. Ummmm. Now I'm thinking of the fresh shrimp cocktails you can get along the Sonoran coast. I have never, ever found fresher, firmer shrimp, not even in New Orleans. Gulf shrimp are inferior.

Oh, and my mistake. Texas' population has reached twenty-FIVE million. There's opportunity in Lone Star State, more and better, maybe, than in the Northeast or D.C.

egregious pro Mexico trolling

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:07 pm

Yup. Also egregious pro-Texas trolling, which from me is a bit bizarre.

tome

Postby tome » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
tome wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:But who actually wants to live IN Texas? I couldn't wait to leave. I didn't stay one second longer than I had to when the Army told me I was free to go.

Grass is always greener elsewhere, my friend. I moved here from South Carolina. I may leave, but I wouldn't mind staying here. There's a lot to like about Texas, even if you don't realize it. Not having to shovel snow is a plus. Not paying state income tax is a plus. Generally reasonable real estate prices, even in prime areas, is a plus. I could go on, but you get the idea.

I don't think anyone here is saying that Texas is worse than North Carolina. But, fortunately, that is not the extent of the choice in the 'merica.

Your post missed the mark on about 5 different levels.

FWIW, North Carolina is a place where people should want to live.

Nar. I am pretty sure I nailed it right on the head. But you come from North Carolina and think Texas is neat, so I am not surprised that you failed to see this.

awahoya

Postby awahoya » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:39 pm

Marionberry wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:I know how you feel about the fiancee, it seems like every day I ask my wife what she wants for dinner and she goes "mmmm, Chuy's"

lol This is exactly what I deal with every weekend.

Oh, to have those cheese enchiladas and a Shiner Bock as a possibility for dinner again...am I letting my stomach lead me back to Austin?

charliebrownwn

Postby charliebrownwn » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:40 am

tome wrote:Nar. I am pretty sure I nailed it right on the head. But you come from North Carolina and think Texas is neat, so I am not surprised that you failed to see this.

Dude, he originally said SOUTH Carolina. Why do you keep saying North Carolina? Do you not understand that there is a difference? Let me create a venn diagram for you:

NC: biotech jobs (raleigh area)
banking jobs (charlotte)
pro sports
good college sports teams, most of which have good academic reputations
lighthouses and shit
the Andy Griffith Show
Great Smoky Mtn NP - most visited park in the country (we share it with tennessee though)

BOTH: barbeque

SC: Charleston - OK so this place is pretty cool, but keep reading
Darlington - a nascar track that is so f'ed up it's shaped like an egg
Myrtle Beach - the trashiest raunchiest STD-infested place this side of New Jersey
ignorance
Strom Thurmond

If you think NC and SC are both shitty places, then fine. But do not use them interchangeably.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:45 am

charliebrownwn wrote:
tome wrote:Nar. I am pretty sure I nailed it right on the head. But you come from North Carolina and think Texas is neat, so I am not surprised that you failed to see this.

Dude, he originally said SOUTH Carolina. Why do you keep saying North Carolina? Do you not understand that there is a difference? Let me create a venn diagram for you:

NC: biotech jobs (raleigh area)
banking jobs (charlotte)
pro sports
good college sports teams, most of which have good academic reputations
lighthouses and shit
the Andy Griffith Show
Great Smoky Mtn NP - most visited park in the country (we share it with tennessee though)

BOTH: barbeque

SC: Charleston - OK so this place is pretty cool, but keep reading
Darlington - a nascar track that is so f'ed up it's shaped like an egg
Myrtle Beach - the trashiest raunchiest STD-infested place this side of New Jersey
ignorance
Strom Thurmond

If you think NC and SC are both shitty places, then fine. But do not use them interchangeably.

Nice. I was waiting to see if he noticed his fail or not.

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:19 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Oh, and we New Mexicans laugh at "real Tex-Mex" too but we also laugh at the efforts of SoCal to produce anything resembling good green chile sauce. It's really CHIHUAHUAN cuisine, you know, and no one outside of Chihuahua or N.Mex. ever seems to get it right. Well, El Paso, of course, but we think of them as being honorary New Mexicans. :)

:evil: Don't be thinking you're gonna steal el-paso from us! :evil: :D :D

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:14 pm

Well, it's not like YOU guys are doing anything with it... :wink:

tome

Postby tome » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:17 pm

jacketman03 wrote:Nice. I was waiting to see if he noticed his fail or not.

That's like making a making a big deal about the side of the shit that doesn't have corn in it.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:19 pm

tome wrote:

That's like making a making a big deal about the side of the shit that doesn't have corn in it.

You're a real charmer, eh?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Marionberry wrote:
tome wrote:

You're a real charmer, eh?

Yeah, damn. I'm from Illinois, have never been to either place, and even I know that North Carolina could be alright, whereas South Carolina... I'll somehow live if I never visit.

Bluben

Postby Bluben » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:27 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:I've lived within a few miles of West Texas or the High Plains for the last twenty-odd years, within thirty miles of El Paso since 1994. UT Austin places very well everywhere in Texas and there's a lot of law going on in Texas. Nevertheless...I've been eligible to waive into the Texas Bar for a gazillion years now. I have a barely-started application rotting in my desk drawer. I just cannot bring myself to do it. Texas is a polarizing place. Either you are in love with the whole idea or you tend to hate Texans, Texas, and anything with a single white star on it. Don't know why.

Speaking as objectively as a New Mexican can on this subject, Texas is a genuine Land of Opportunity. It is also, in many places, stunningly beautiful and endlessly interesting from a cultural or historic standpoint. The state has a population nearing 20 million so you can run into just about any sort of person there (I once attended a Hindu wedding reception in Seminole Texas) and is so huge that you can find any kind of landscape except the Alpine. (They think they have mountains but they don't, not really.)

Truth? If I were just starting out and my spouse didn't hate Texas, I'd put the state, and UT Austin, very high on the list.

Oh, and we New Mexicans laugh at "real Tex-Mex" too but we also laugh at the efforts of SoCal to produce anything resembling good green chile sauce. It's really CHIHUAHUAN cuisine, you know, and no one outside of Chihuahua or N.Mex. ever seems to get it right. Well, El Paso, of course, but we think of them as being honorary New Mexicans. :)

Outed as living in Las Cruces. Nobody from El Paso, let alone Texas, wants to be part of the same state that Las Cruces is in.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”