2011 NLJ BigLaw Placement Rankings

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Pricer

Re: 2011 NLJ BigLaw Placement Rankings

Postby Pricer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:02 pm

I find it odd that Texas is so low and that GA State places more than UGA.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:30 pm

Everyone's puzzlement on Texas' placement is resting on some bizarrely tautological reading of the rankings. Texas is ranked highly (T16!!!!!1), therefore it must place well...otherwise it wouldn't be ranked so high...there can be no other reason for its rank...
Last edited by PomasThynchon on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:31 pm

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:45 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:Everyone's puzzlement on Texas' placement is resting on some bizarrely tautological reading of the rankings. Texas is ranked highly (T16!!!!!1), therefore it must place well...otherwise it wouldn't be ranked so high...there can be no other reason for its rank...

To be fair, i don't think that people assume texas has good placement b/c of its high rank, i think it is more the idea that UT dominates firms in a state known for a large, growing, and relatively robust economy ITE

The problem though i think is the texas market is still so much smaller than NYC, prolly a decent amount of UT grads go into what amount to small or mid law, and other local schools (ie SMU, u of houston) and T14s also have decent representation in the market

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:37 am

fatduck wrote:Why did you make another thread for this?

Aren't you busy looking at resumes, Mr. Biglaw Hiring Director? Or wait I mean 0L? Which was it, again?

This thread just made me laugh my ass off. I bet this dude boinks fat chicks.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:58 am

Pricer wrote:I find it odd that Texas is so low and that GA State places more than UGA.

Someone posted a chart of no offer rates somewhere around here. Dallas and Houston only offered about 55-60% of SA fulltime positions while NYC offered about 87%. I think the whole south in general had a ton of no offers. That explains Duke and Vandy's enormous drops as well.

Texas usually lags behind the T14 in placement anyway. But since people say this chart is largely a measure of who could avoid getting no offered, texas and the south generally got hit pretty hard in that area.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:06 pm

bearsfan1 wrote:

Aren't you busy looking at resumes, Mr. Biglaw Hiring Director? Or wait I mean 0L? Which was it, again?

I don't think you give fat chicks enough credit.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:03 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
bearsfan1 wrote:

I don't think you give fat chicks enough credit.

+1 don't knock it til you've tried it

drylo

Postby drylo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:05 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:Was NYC the only market not destroyed and hence why Cornell did so well (though why/how did they beat NYU by so much?). Hopefully Vandy's Career Services starts focusing on NY.

Yes, and I'd argue that is still true.

Sad thing is it's probably not that easy to change their main target area.

I think a (top) school's "target area" is mostly defined by where its students want to go. I say this specifically in response to the suggestion that Vandy career services focus more on NY. I took just took an unofficial poll of several of my classmates and the consensus was that only 30-45% of Vandy students are interested in working in NYC. This doesn't mean that everybody who wants a NY job will get one, but I think any lack of NY jobs is largely due to the student population, rather than a failure of career services.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:14 pm

drylo wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:Was NYC the only market not destroyed and hence why Cornell did so well (though why/how did they beat NYU by so much?). Hopefully Vandy's Career Services starts focusing on NY.

Yes, and I'd argue that is still true.

I think a (top) school's "target area" is mostly defined by where its students want to go. I say this specifically in response to the suggestion that Vandy career services focus more on NY. I took just took an unofficial poll of several of my classmates and the consensus was that only 30-45% of Vandy students are interested in working in NYC. This doesn't mean that everybody who wants a NY job will get one, but I think any lack of NY jobs is largely due to the student population, rather than a failure of career services.

It's not quite so simple. You get jobs through OCI. Firms come to OCI with some idea of how many students they want from the school, based on past experience. If NYC firms don't come to your OCI or don't hire many people at OCI, it's pretty irrelevant where the students want to go.

Here at NU, our placement was historically in the midwest. Ergo, S&C or DPW or Cleary come here expecting to hire a few people each, but Kirkland or Sidley comes here expecting to hire a dozen each. Even if everyone here decided they wanted NY instead of Chicago, that wouldn't change the fact that S&C has 20 interview slots and Kirkland has 60.

drylo

Postby drylo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:50 pm

rayiner wrote:
drylo wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

It's not quite so simple. You get jobs through OCI. Firms come to OCI with some idea of how many students they want from the school, based on past experience. If NYC firms don't come to your OCI or don't hire many people at OCI, it's pretty irrelevant where the students want to go.

Here at NU, our placement was historically in the midwest. Ergo, S&C or DPW or Cleary come here expecting to hire a few people each, but Kirkland or Sidley comes here expecting to hire a dozen each. Even if everyone here decided they wanted NY instead of Chicago, that wouldn't change the fact that S&C has 20 interview slots and Kirkland has 60.

Well, yeah, that's true, too (although you can definitely get jobs with big firms even if they don't come to campus to interview). But that's not inconsistent with what I was saying. If one class (e.g., Class of 2014) at NU or Vandy or wherever was somehow suddenly full of people who all wanted to go NY, that would not necessarily have much of an impact on who comes to OCI, etc. However, if that became a trend (e.g., three successive classes all full of people wanting to go to NY), then the perception of the school's "main target area" would probably begin to change.

Another point: if you want NY from Vandy (or someplace like it), you may be in the minority. This has implications for how you read placement stats (and how they relate to you specifically).

Lawlcat

Postby Lawlcat » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:22 pm

It'd be nice if someone would prepare Article III + NLJ 250 sums for 2008, 2009, and 2010.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108528
is nice, but I think it still has mixed data. (Maybe other lists are in those 28 pages somewhere.)

I think it's a pretty damn solid measure of placement power. Anyone who got an Article III clerkship or a NLJ 250 job probably counts as having "done alright".

champ33

Postby champ33 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:55 am

Sort of interesting from Brooklyn Law School's website:

"According to the data that the Law School reported to the National Association for Law Placement and to The National Law Journal, 58 members of the 2010 graduating class, or 12.5%, were hired as first-year associates by NLJ top 250 law firms. Had The National Law Journal reported the facts correctly, Brooklyn Law School would have ranked 35th in the nation."

Return to “Choosing a Law School”