Advice Please!! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
boomersooner

New

Advice Please!!

Post by boomersooner » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:21 pm

I am having a tough time deciding where to go to law school. The schools I am considering right now that I have been accepted to are:

University of Oklahoma (Don't know about money yet)
Texas Tech University (In state & 3,000 a year)
Loyola-LA
University of San Diego
Depaul University (33,000)
Louisiana State University
Penn State

I am still waiting to hear back from a couple other schools like Pepperdine, Santa Clara, Houston, and Tulane. I am interested in Corporate Law or Tax Law. I am open to where I want to work in the future and I don't want to limit my future job possibilities. Is it better to pay cheaper tuition than go to a high ranked school? Any advice is appreciated! I am from Texas originally but attended the University of Oklahoma for undergrad. Thanks!

bk1

Diamond

Re: Advice Please!!

Post by bk1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:24 pm

All these schools are very regional with limited job prospects. Rankings are basically irrelevant in this discussion because the differences between the schools are marginal.

Pick the school that gives you the biggest scholly with the easiest stipulations, preferably in the area you want to work.

I know you say you are location agnostic, but I find that truly hard to believe.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:31 pm

LSU ----> New Orleans

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:24 pm

I'd be careful with really any school in California as you will be competing with grads from higher ranked schools when you get out. Unless you plan on building a solid network while you are a student I would avoid Cali.

Loyola-LA is a tough call too since they got caught messing around with their student rankings to give their grads better job opportunities. This may affect their rankings in future years to come so I would be cautious

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:27 pm

gaud wrote:I'd be careful with really any school in California as you will be competing with grads from higher ranked schools when you get out. Unless you plan on building a solid network while you are a student I would avoid Cali.
This statement can easily be said for pretty much every school on his list except Oklahoma.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:28 pm

touché

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:40 am

bk187 wrote:All these schools are very regional with limited job prospects. Rankings are basically irrelevant in this discussion because the differences between the schools are marginal.

Pick the school that gives you the biggest scholly with the easiest stipulations, preferably in the area you want to work.

I know you say you are location agnostic, but I find that truly hard to believe.
I agree with this; the USNWR rankings really don't apply here.

To add to it, first, decide where you want to work, and then look at the schools applicable to that region. Next, look at the total cost of education for three years at each of the schools—take your debt at graduation very seriously. Finally, and very importantly, visit the schools (don't just drive by)—talk with faculty/students if possible & get a tour of the facilities; it is startling how visiting a school in person can change your perception.

Also, look at statistics such as bar passage rate & employment rate for grads after nine months.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”