WUSTL vs. Illinois vs. Indiana vs. Other Options

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which option?

$120,000 Indiana
13%
$84,000 WUSTL
44%
$90,000 Illinois
25%
Try for a top 18 school with little to no scholarship money
6%
BU/BC with whatever they offer
13%
Pitt with presumably a full ride
No votes

Total votes: 16

TheSteelKid

WUSTL vs. Illinois vs. Indiana vs. Other Options

Postby TheSteelKid » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:02 pm

Soo I'm from Pittsburgh and have applied to MANY law schools. So far the best schools I've gotten into have also given me some of the most scholarship money.

I have a 3.3 and a 170 on the December LSAT and am still holding my breath for schools such as Cornell, Michigan, Georgetown, Duke, USC, UCLA....and then Vanderbilt/UVA/Northwestern off of the waitlist. Also I'm waiting to hear from BU and BC so I will make those options as well. Also am still waiting for scholarship info from Pitt.

Ive gotten a full ride to Indiana, $84,000 to WUSTL, and $90,000 to Illinois.

What do you guys think is the best option thus far and why? Thanks!

Bumi

Re: WUSTL vs. Illinois vs. Indiana vs. Other Options

Postby Bumi » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:06 pm

Three of the options on your enormous list are available to me at similar costs, so I am very interested in this.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:07 pm

1.) where do you want to work

2.) what do you want to do after law school

3.) how debt-averse are you

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:12 pm

I don't have too much of a preference on where I work as long as it is a big city. After law school I'd like to get a high paying job with a law firm or corporation, and am thinking about going into securities regulation or something of that sort. I graduated with a degree in Finance.

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:13 pm

As far as being debt averse I would potentially take out a lot of debt for a t-14 school. I would def consider it.

EgyptianPresident

Postby EgyptianPresident » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:13 pm

scratch pitt, its a shithole, ixnay IUB, then pick from the others based upon where you wanna live vs. cost

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:15 pm

It seems like WUSTL vs Illinois is a real toss up...people seem to believe that Illinois is slightly better in Chicago and really not by much. Then everyone says Wash U is better everywhere outside of Chicago...Makes WUSTL seem more appealing I would say

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:20 pm

TheSteelKid wrote:It seems like WUSTL vs Illinois is a real toss up...people seem to believe that Illinois is slightly better in Chicago and really not by much. Then everyone says Wash U is better everywhere outside of Chicago...Makes WUSTL seem more appealing I would say

Did you apply to Fordham/GWU? Both of those would be good options if they gave you significant $, since it seems like you want to work biglaw in a major market. I don't know if you'll get money from BU/BC but maybe.

Otherwise, assuming you don't sneak into Cornell or Georgetown (which you might), I'd probably take WUSTL, but Illinois isn't a bad choice either. They're so close for Chicago that I'd just go with whichever campus you like better.

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:24 pm

fatduck wrote:
TheSteelKid wrote:It seems like WUSTL vs Illinois is a real toss up...people seem to believe that Illinois is slightly better in Chicago and really not by much. Then everyone says Wash U is better everywhere outside of Chicago...Makes WUSTL seem more appealing I would say

Did you apply to Fordham/GWU? Both of those would be good options if they gave you significant $, since it seems like you want to work biglaw in a major market. I don't know if you'll get money from BU/BC but maybe.

Otherwise, assuming you don't sneak into Cornell or Georgetown (which you might), I'd probably take WUSTL, but Illinois isn't a bad choice either. They're so close for Chicago that I'd just go with whichever campus you like better.

I havent heard back from Fordham, and unfortunately GWU have me zero dollars. WAHHHH bc I was seriously considering going there. Shucks. Lets say my a miracle I got in to both Cornell and Georgetown with 0 scholly money. What would you say then versus Illinois and WUSTL?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:34 pm

TheSteelKid wrote:
fatduck wrote:

I havent heard back from Fordham, and unfortunately GWU have me zero dollars. WAHHHH bc I was seriously considering going there. Shucks. Lets say my a miracle I got in to both Cornell and Georgetown with 0 scholly money. What would you say then versus Illinois and WUSTL?

Personally, I would take Georgetown but not Cornell, but I also hate Ithaca and don't really want to work in NYC. It wouldn't be an objectively bad decision.

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Ya...is it tough finding jobs in other big cities if you go to Cornell?

Like what about Boston, Philly, DC, Chicago, Cali, etc.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:20 am

TheSteelKid wrote:Ya...is it tough finding jobs in other big cities if you go to Cornell?

Like what about Boston, Philly, DC, Chicago, Cali, etc.

Cornell grads certainly go to other big cities, but the bulk of them go to NYC, and I'd imagine you have a little more leeway as far as class rank if you're targeting NYC vs. other big cities.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”