so many factors so little time

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cj2k14

so many factors so little time

Postby cj2k14 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:06 pm

I'm going to go ahead and post this now to get some dialogue going. I have some pretty interesting options for this upcoming fall. I am engaged so I obviously want to attend a school near my fiancée so we could split living costs on an apartment. Looking toward the future I am interested in keeping debt for both of us down, getting a quality education and having decent job prospects in or near a city in the northeast. I am a science major and plan on going into patents.

Thus far I have been accepted to Cardozo (45k/yr with 2.95GPA), Ohio State (12K/year with 2.50GPA and OOS year 1), Emory (20k/yr if I remain in good standing) and withdrawn to lower ranked T2 schools that I do not wish to attend.

Waitlisted at BU

Pending at Notre Dame, IU-B, BC and Fordham.

I am not expecting much in scholarship money from stingy Fordham (maybe 5k/yr) so it would be near sticker (and near 200k with COL). Not sure what to expect from BC and I am pretty certain I will see 40k/yr from IU-B. I have figured the cost to OSU to be 15k greater than Cardozo (roughly the difference from OOS year 1).

I know years back Cardodo had a T10 IP program but no longer does. Would it make sense to give Cardozo a chance and try to negotiate away the stips to make it more reliable. I'm aware that NYC is a huge market and Cardozo is behind NYU, Columbia, Fordham and pretty much the T14, BU and BC etc.

I know everyone here is going to say go to the highest ranked school and take on irresponsible debt but I just don't see that as a sustainable option given the futile job market. I would rather earn less and have a better quality of life than strike out and be under mountains of debt and equal job prospects from a higher ranked more expensive school. I have tried to research but I get the feeling patents might not be your average argument because of the technical requirements by the USPTO. Any input is welcomed

Whatsawahooanyway

Re: so many factors so little time

Postby Whatsawahooanyway » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:13 pm

"I know everyone here is going to say go to the highest ranked school and take on irresponsible debt"

You really haven't browsed around here much then have you? I suggest you look around a little bit.

cj2k14

Postby cj2k14 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:00 pm

Look at all the threads where Cardozo is mentioned against BU/BC or even Fordham. 80% of responders say to go to BU or BC at or near sticker even with a hefty scholarship to Cardozo.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=148462

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=148519

Whatsawahooanyway

Postby Whatsawahooanyway » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:35 pm

There are many people on this board who are advising against T14 at full costs, so that quote is far from the widespread sentiment. In certain cases, it might make more sense than others.

Are you just asking Cardozo vs BC? I doubt many would advise going to BC at sticker, especially with the information you provide.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:38 pm

BU/BC Sticker > Dozo

Full tuition to Dozo is still 50-60k debt with insane NYC COL. Dozo has zilch in the way of firm placement, the top 20% at BU/BC is still solid biglaw.

cj2k14

Postby cj2k14 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:47 pm

I'll concede the fact that "everyone" is extreme. I just have the vibe from browsing through these forums that ranking is king despite cost/future debt load in the majority of situations.

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:52 pm

Cupidity wrote:Dozo has zilch in the way of firm placement, the top 20% at BU/BC is still solid biglaw.

What happens if they are in the 4/5ths of students outside of the top 20%? It seems silly to base decisions on what the top 20% gets. A bird in hand (scholarships) is truly worth two in the bush (unrealistic expectations of job opportunities based on assumptions of top 20% ranking) sometimes.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:06 pm

1. Where does your fiancee live?

2. Is retake/reapply an option?

3. Cardozo's IP ranking is irrelevant.

4. Out of these options, if you want to work in the northeast (specifically NYC) then Cardozo is your best option.

Cupidity wrote:BU/BC Sticker > Dozo

Full tuition to Dozo is still 50-60k debt with insane NYC COL. Dozo has zilch in the way of firm placement, the top 20% at BU/BC is still solid biglaw.

Completely disagree assuming Cardozo scholly has minimal stips.

cj2k14

Postby cj2k14 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Attorney wrote:What happens if they are in the 4/5ths of students outside of the top 20%? It seems silly to base decisions on what the top 20% gets. A bird in hand (scholarships) is truly worth two in the bush (unrealistic expectations of job opportunities based on assumptions of top 20% ranking) sometimes.

Valid point. Assuming top 20% is assuming quite a bit. Finish top 50% with much more debt would afford equal employment in my opinion would it not? Would it not be better to finish higher in the class at a good school than to be mediocre at a great one.

bk1 wrote:1. Where does your fiancee live?

2. Is retake/reapply an option?

3. Cardozo's IP ranking is irrelevant.

4. Out of these options, if you want to work in the northeast (specifically NYC) then Cardozo is your best option.

We live in central Jersey so we would have to relocate to NYC should we choose there. Living in Jersey or a Borough allows her access to cheaper in-state tuition, something not afforded at OOS or private schools. I would rather not have to retake since I've taken twice. I am aware that specialty rankings are next to useless, just gives someone at USNWR a job I suppose.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:39 pm

cj2k14 wrote:We live in central Jersey so we would have to relocate to NYC should we choose there. Living in Jersey or a Borough allows her access to cheaper in-state tuition, something not afforded at OOS or private schools. I would rather not have to retake since I've taken twice. I am aware that specialty rankings are next to useless, just gives someone at USNWR a job I suppose.

Seems like Cardozo's full ride to me assuming a 2.95 stip isn't too bad.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”