Wake Forest or Maryland?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What is the best option?

Wake Forest
64%
Maryland
36%

Total votes: 14

WilRO

Wake Forest or Maryland?

Postby WilRO » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:57 pm

So I'm undecided between the following schools -- Wake and Maryland -- and would like to know what TLSers think.

Please consider the following:
1. I would like to practice in Northern VA/DC after graduation
2. I'm interested in immigration law and personal injury
3. Costs are about the same
4. I'm a VA resident

Thank you all for your feedback.

BlueDiamond

Re: Wake Forest or Maryland?

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:59 pm

didnt you already make this thread?

WilRO

Postby WilRO » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:08 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:didnt you already make this thread?

Yes, but I included American in the other thread. According to most people, Wake and Maryland are the best options. Now, I just have to narrow it down to one option, but I'm having a hard time doing that. :?

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:11 pm

This is a perfect example of go where ever you like best. The areas surronding the schools are polar opposites, so you need to go and visit. For your intended practice area prestige does not really matter that much. Go where you feel comfortable living for three years and if you strike out in NOVA, where you would feel comfortable practicing (NC for Wake, Baltimore/Maryland for U Maryland).

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:12 pm

I was waitlisted at Wake but was accepted at Maryland -- I was about to write a LOCI to Wake to try and pull myself off the waitlist, but I realized that I simply don't want to end up in North Carolina (Philly native). Now I'm working between Maryland and Temple, slowly leaning toward Maryland though. I just like the location, environment, and everyone I've spoken to has good things to say about the school. I've heard weird things about Wake, though their expertise in litigation is unquestioned. It's apples and oranges.

WilRO

Postby WilRO » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:16 pm

YankeesFan wrote:This is a perfect example of go where ever you like best. The areas surronding the schools are polar opposites, so you need to go and visit. For your intended practice area prestige does not really matter that much. Go where you feel comfortable living for three years and if you strike out in NOVA, where you would feel comfortable practicing (NC for Wake, Baltimore/Maryland for U Maryland).

Thanks YankeesFan, your comment is really helpful. Based on this reasoning, I would probably choose UMD over Wake. But I certainly have to visit these schools before I make that decision.

Any other comments people?

WilRO

Postby WilRO » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:23 pm

2things2 wrote:I was waitlisted at Wake but was accepted at Maryland -- I was about to write a LOCI to Wake to try and pull myself off the waitlist, but I realized that I simply don't want to end up in North Carolina (Philly native). Now I'm working between Maryland and Temple, slowly leaning toward Maryland though. I just like the location, environment, and everyone I've spoken to has good things to say about the school. I've heard weird things about Wake, though their expertise in litigation is unquestioned. It's apples and oranges.

Yes, I've also heard weird things about Wake. Also leaning toward Maryland for several reasons including the location which I'm hoping to check out this weekend for the open house.

Congrats on Temple and UMD -- definitely two great schools.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:28 pm

What type of "weird things" have you heard about WFU ?

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:07 pm

I still think you should go to American.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”