BU or BC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dakatz

Gold

Re: BU or BC

Post by dakatz » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:35 am

The schools are essentially the same in most major respects. The only real big difference is location and campus "feel". Visit both and decide on that. Cost for both are pretty much the exact same, job placement is just about equal (with BC perhaps having a slight edge in Boston, and BU placing a larger number of people in NYC, probably due to self-selection). Both have great names in Boston, as well as the Northeast US.

I would decide based on $$, but if all things equal, just visit both and see which one you get the better feel from. My choice was easy since BU gave me a very good scholarship while BC kept me waiting and waiting until the decision deadline, telling me that a scholarship may or may not be coming at any time. I also visited both and just felt more comfortable at BU. Its really just a matter of preference.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:46 am

dakatz wrote:The schools are essentially the same in most major respects. The only real big difference is location and campus "feel". Visit both and decide on that. Cost for both are pretty much the exact same, job placement is just about equal (with BC perhaps having a slight edge in Boston, and BU placing a larger number of people in NYC, probably due to self-selection). Both have great names in Boston, as well as the Northeast US.

I would decide based on $$, but if all things equal, just visit both and see which one you get the better feel from. My choice was easy since BU gave me a very good scholarship while BC kept me waiting and waiting until the decision deadline, telling me that a scholarship may or may not be coming at any time. I also visited both and just felt more comfortable at BU. Its really just a matter of preference.
Yeah BC is lame when in comes to scholarships. It really does come down to $$.

mohuohu

New

Post by mohuohu » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Does BU tend to match BC's merit scholarship offers?

I'd rather go to BU, but BC gave me 22k/year and BU has given me nothing.

Has anyone negotiated in similar circumstances?

NotImportant

New

Post by NotImportant » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:52 pm

BCLS wrote:
gobosox wrote:Let me start by saying that I'm biased. I went BU undergrad, and loved it.

That being said, its ranking is higher than BC, and I think the school environment is just better than BC. I like the urban area where you can walk to everything. BC is on the green line, but it's a good 25 mins or half hour to get to BU, and only then are you in the city area.

So if it's ranked higher and the environment is better, I say, why not?

Oh yeah, and BU has its own pub, with 50 different beers. If you drink all 50, they have a big party for you and give you a mug behind the bar that you get to drink out of whenever you go. That alone should sway it in your favor.
Which ranking? I prefer job placement statistics. http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

PS- you went to BU undergrad because you didn't get into BC. It's ok, the same is true for most BU undergrads as well.

And BU it is!

bananaboat29

New

Post by bananaboat29 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:42 pm

Anyone see this today?

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/03/more-law ... ting-rich/

BU apparently ranked 5th best law school for getting rich. Not that getting rich is all that matters, but getting out of debt might...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:16 pm

bananaboat29 wrote:Anyone see this today?

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/03/more-law ... ting-rich/

BU apparently ranked 5th best law school for getting rich. Not that getting rich is all that matters, but getting out of debt might...
See discussion here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=149687

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”