(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF, GW, Cornell? COA is stated

UF - 70k
20%
GW - 200k
9%
Cornell - 210k
70%

Total votes: 44

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm

Last edited by Skyhook on Tue May 15, 2012 6:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

Re: GW/UF - Ties, decisions, careers

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:52 pm

Skyhook wrote:My post LS plan is to clerk. Likely to go into government work, PI, IP (Chemistry PhD). Only my time in school will help me narrow it down. That and the amount of debt I have to pay off.

Just an FYI, if you're not top 15% or so at UF you're almost definitely not going to have a chance at most good clerkships.

GW is renowned for its IP programs and I think people who want to go into patent law graduating from there do relatively well. UF has an alright IP curriculum from what I understand but I don't think there is a comparison.

At UF we have a lot of non-traditional students (though my class had a lot more than the entering class of this year, at least, from what I've seen).

If you want to live in Florida, UF is almost definitely the right decision, especially taking debt into account and the fact that you don't have extensive ties to the area. If you want to work anywhere else besides maybe GA I think GW is the right call.

If you have any specific questions about UF I can try to answer them, I don't really know much about GW.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:53 pm

I would be really interested in your stats. I would hold out hope for a t14. Sounds like you're borderline if you got waitlisted at UVA and CLS. If law is really what you want to do with your life, and those are your only options, I think I would take UF over GW. I just can't justify that school at sticker.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:55 pm

I have heard that GW at sticker is not a bad decision for those with IP creds. Not sure how true this is, may want to pm some current GW students.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:56 pm

bk1 wrote:I have heard that GW at sticker is not a bad decision for those with IP creds. Not sure how true this is, may want to pm some current GW students.

dood comes to mind.

Skyhook

GW/UF - Ties, decisions, careers

Postby Skyhook » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:01 pm

Last edited by Skyhook on Tue May 15, 2012 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:08 pm

Skyhook wrote:
mistergoft wrote:GW is renowned for its IP programs and I think people who want to go into patent law graduating from there do relatively well. UF has an alright IP curriculum from what I understand but I don't think there is a comparison.

At UF we have a lot of non-traditional students (though my class had a lot more than the entering class of this year, at least, from what I've seen).

If you want to live in Florida, UF is almost definitely the right decision, especially taking debt into account and the fact that you don't have extensive ties to the area. If you want to work anywhere else besides maybe GA I think GW is the right call.

If you have any specific questions about UF I can try to answer them, I don't really know much about GW.

GW does have a lot more courses (in IP alone roughly 22).
Have you had any feedback from 2&3L's about whether they feel UF's courses are enough to keep them happy?
How about your experiences with the professors?

Are you around campus tomorrow? I'll be up for ASD.

I'm not so worried about being non-trad. I get on fine with my students of all ages, I don't look much older but I guess my accent would identify me as non-trad anyway.

Living here for nearly 4 years is about the longest I've lived anywhere as an adult. Need to take family in to consideration for where we want to settle...

I am a 2L so I can speak directly to class quality, though, of course, not the IP class quality. For me, I have been relatively satisfied with all of my courses as a 2L thus far. There is a solid course selection, definitely enough to keep you interested. I took some courses this semester that I didn't think I would find interesting that have turned out to be some of my favorite classes.

Most of my professors have been really great. Not only have they been good in class and helpful teaching and answering questions, but most of them keep their office doors open and are always willing to help, whether it be to critique a resume or give a reference for a job (maybe even use their connections to pull some strings). I really don't have any complaints as to professors, although I have had some that I was exceptionally pleased with and some that I was not, but I think you're going to get that anywhere.

Tomorrow I will be out of town until later in the day, I am not sure how long ASW lasts, but some of the other TLSers that are going to be there are planning on going out for drinks later on and I might show up for that.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:36 pm

Wait on the other schools, esp. Emory.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:47 pm

Last edited by Skyhook on Tue May 15, 2012 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:42 am

Went to UF ASD yesterday. Much the same impression as when I took a tour last year.
Friendly students and staff, nice setting. Quite a few externship opportunities.
As the Dean said, the cafeteria area needs improving, but the other facilities looked pretty good. A touch too much concrete, but at least the redbrick was prominent. Gainesville is not my ideal place to live, but it'll do if that's what I decide.
The weather is fine, especially this time of year, and getting around town is easy. I'd be happy cycling/walking for the most part.

I'm happy with my decision to go to LS, now I need to visit GW and see what I think.
Still heard nothing from other schools...
----
Any other GW or UF students got any thoughts about opportunities from these schools?
~8% of UF grads go to DC. 75% stay in state.

As far as Emory, it'd have to be some hefty $$$ to overtake UF, as I don't see GA as the place where we would live.
(Loved Savannah though :) )

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:56 am

Skyhook wrote:~82% of UF grads go to DC. 75% stay in state.

Very, very few UF grads go to DC. Most that do are going to work at some federal job through one of the government honors programs or work with the IRS. Very few UF grads actually get firm jobs in DC, although there are definitely some that do.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:10 pm

The answer is simple: UF. You have ties to Florida and you live there now, correct? GW is not a destination school no matter how much it pretends to be. In other words, it is not a school that you pick up and move your life to attend. To become such a school, it would need to be the best school in its city for starters. It isn't. GW has special access to the DC employment market--- the second tier DC market. Not the first tier. Georgetown and other T14s get first crack at the federal market. Don't get confused over these issues by GW's marketing prowess and the wisdom of this website that GW is a special place. Remember--there is nothing special about the second best school in town. Its a local school with a night program that historically serviced a local populace until it announced in its brochure that it was a national school. If you have access to a solid school near you like UF then only T14 schools are worth uprooting your life for.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Last edited by Skyhook on Tue May 15, 2012 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:31 pm

There are way more opportunities. They get snapped up by a huge influx of law grads that Florida doesn't get.

Skyhook

Re: GW vs UF... and now Cornell

Postby Skyhook » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:25 am

Last edited by Skyhook on Tue May 15, 2012 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:19 pm

Skyhook wrote:Accepted to Cornell - out of the blue really, given my T14 cycle.
Exciting and confusing news...!!
Haven't had time to look at COA for Cornell, but most likely a bit cheaper than GW.

Crazy to turn down Cornell for either GW or UF right (not set on FL as place to live)?

you are 30, only go to Cornell if you are rich or you know you can make that money back up. If not, it will ruin your life.

Cornell places well in Biglaw NYC but those firms don't like to hire 33/34 yr olds because the hours are insane and its hard to get an older person to stick to it (they may want to leave and have a family or worse already have a family). Also COL in NYC is crazy-- please look into how much you would actually pay back on your loans when living in NYC. #1 tax rate #1 COL, you get the picture.

Good Luck.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:49 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Cornell places well in Biglaw NYC but those firms don't like to hire 33/34 yr olds because the hours are insane and its hard to get an older person to stick to it (they may want to leave and have a family or worse already have a family). Also COL in NYC is crazy-- please look into how much you would actually pay back on your loans when living in NYC. #1 tax rate #1 COL, you get the picture.

Good Luck.

None of the numerous 30+-year-olds I know at Cornell have had any trouble getting Biglaw jobs if they were trying for them.

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:54 pm

mistergoft wrote:Very, very few UF grads go to DC. Most that do are going to work at some federal job through one of the government honors programs or work with the IRS. Very few UF grads actually get firm jobs in DC, although there are definitely some that do.

Cornell.

?????

Postby ????? » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:20 am

Skyhook:

I'm currently a 2L at UF, and I have a summer IP position at a large firm in DC. I just wanted to let you know that it is possible. The IP classes at UF are decent, but most of them are taught by the same professor (which is great if you like her, bad if you don't). The firm that I will be working for has several other UF Law students in their DC office. I think that your technical degree will be more important than your law degree if you are looking to do IP work.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:32 am

Skyhook wrote:Accepted to Cornell - out of the blue really, given my T14 cycle.
Exciting and confusing news...!!
Haven't had time to look at COA for Cornell, but most likely a bit cheaper than GW.

Crazy to turn down Cornell for either GW or UF right (not set on FL as place to live)?

Have fun at Cornell.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:44 am

Last edited by Skyhook on Tue May 15, 2012 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:49 am

To throw this into the mix, out of my 3 choices, Cornell has the best public interest assistance $.
As I said in my OP, my focus is not fixed on IP.
With that in mind, Cornell would seem to offer the best overall package due to prestige, clerkships, etc.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:07 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:Cornell places well in Biglaw NYC but those firms don't like to hire 33/34 yr olds because the hours are insane and its hard to get an older person to stick to it (they may want to leave and have a family or worse already have a family). Also COL in NYC is crazy-- please look into how much you would actually pay back on your loans when living in NYC. #1 tax rate #1 COL, you get the picture.

Good Luck.

None of the numerous 30+-year-olds I know at Cornell have had any trouble getting Biglaw jobs if they were trying for them.

If your qualifications are good, you should get a Biglaw job regardless of age. Some firms are more hesitant to hire older candidates than others, but mrw's comments are not accurate at all. Also, you will not be tied to NYC. Cornell is the most flexible of your options in terms of where you can practice. Some of the 30+ people I know (including myself) will be working in areas where the COL is lower, the hours are (slightly) more bearable, and you will likely be better able to pay back your loans more quickly. Also, even if you take 10 years to pay the loans back, that will make you 45. You will have a minimum of 20 working years ahead of you.

mst

Postby mst » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:14 am

If you go to UF be prepared to throw your dreams out the window because jobs certainly aren't flying left and right... you'll take what you get.

GW is a lot of money. Makes little sense to me at age 30 at sticker. You'll be 43 before you're done with loans at the least... And that's best case scenario where you work your ass off after also managing to land a job out of there. Cornell is a great option, and for a 20 year old it might actually make sense at sticker given their desire to attend. But you're not 20 and you're non-trad.

Honestly, I'd just do UF in your situation. But if achieving your dreams is your MO regardless of the cost, then Cornell.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:37 am

Not sure why people are making such a big deal about age here. The debt should be a big consideration for you, but not because of your age. You should try to get some $ out of Cornell, and if you decide to go the FL route, try to negotiate based on your Cornell acceptance.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”