2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
beachbum

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby beachbum » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:50 pm

Ok, I'll do mine:

1. Yale
2. Harvard
2. Stanford
4. Columbia
5. NYU
6. Chicago
7. Penn
8. Michigan
9. Berkeley
10. UVA
10. Duke
12. Northwestern
13. Cornell
14. GULC
15. Vandy
16. Texas
16. UCLA
18. USC

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:53 pm

rman1201 wrote:1. Yale
2. Havard
3. Stanford
4. Columbia
5. NYU
6. Chicago
7. Penn
8. Berkeley
9. Michigan
10. Northwestern
11. Duke
12. Virginia
13. Cornell
14. Texas/UCLA
16. USC
17. Georgetown
18. Vanderbilt
19. WUSTL
20. BU
21. Emory/ND
23. GWU
24. Minnesota
25. BC
26. Fordham

You saw em here first.

This seems rather anti UVA...........

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:00 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:

IB

Rman1201

UVA: Rejected

suzige

Postby suzige » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:35 pm

Anyone else catch this? US News says they sent letters to deans telling them not to fudge the numbers :roll:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... r_numbers/

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:36 pm

which TLSer will post the link first is the question that should be answered

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:39 pm

rman1201 wrote:
socraticmethodman wrote:

IB

Rman1201

UVA: Rejected

ahhh, it makes sense now. haha

super6

Postby super6 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:06 am

ns77770 wrote:
super6 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Wait Barbie, didn't you get a full ride to UIUC?

haha I wish. I was accepted with some $, but not a full ride at all.

You turned down money at the 21st ranked school to go to the 47th ranked school at sticker? You're crazy. Plus UF is in... Florida. I think that living here my whole life might have given me a tremendous bias against this state but I dislike Florida with a passion.

Also, I doubt FSU will overtake UF any time soon.

What part did you live in and why do you hate it (I'm asking purely out of curiosity)?

Orlando. I hate it for the following reasons:
1. Urban sprawl
2. Heat
3. Humidity
4. Distance from the rest of the country (it's a 5 hour drive from Orlando just to exit the state, although I think gville and tallehassee would only be like 1-2 hours)

There are 2 redeeming things:
1. I have a 20 minute commute to UCF but it is easily the most enjoyable 20 minutes commute anyone has ever had in the history of commuting
2. I have an annual pass to Islands of Adventure which means unlimited visits to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter *high five*

But these would not be the case at UF/FSU/Miami and thus my motivation to leave this godforsaken state.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:54 am

oooh me me me me! I want to rank too

First Tier: Yale
Second Tier: Stanford

rest TTT

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:57 am

How did Cooley do? Did Cooley move up?

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:00 pm

wondering if the Cooley jokes will ever get old on tls..

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:02 pm

DeSimone wrote:wondering if the Cooley jokes will ever get old on tls..

cooley jokes : TLS

lasagna : Garfield

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:03 pm

Where are the Harvard jokes? I've met some Harvard law school grads and was not impressed at all. In fact I was pretty disappointed. The hype just doesn't make sense. The grads I've met couldn't find their way out of a paper bag without their hands being held.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:15 pm

super6 wrote:Orlando. I hate it for the following reasons:
1. Urban sprawl
2. Heat
3. Humidity
4. Distance from the rest of the country (it's a 5 hour drive from Orlando just to exit the state, although I think gville and tallehassee would only be like 1-2 hours)

1. I have a 20 minute commute to UCF but it is easily the most enjoyable 20 minutes commute anyone has ever had in the history of commuting
2. I have an annual pass to Islands of Adventure which means unlimited visits to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter *high five*

But these would not be the case at UF/FSU/Miami and thus my motivation to leave this godforsaken state.

I don't get complaint #4. What need do you have of driving out of state so often that it makes the complaint legitimate?

Also, your redeeming quality #1 is pretty pathetic, unless you are getting blown every day on your way to school.

All that said, outside of South Florida and maybe a few other places by a beach, I wouldn't want to live in Florida, so I do see why you hate Florida.

Mattfl88

Postby Mattfl88 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:50 pm

I have lived in Orlando my entire life and I love it. It is a city on the rise once we get some better public transit. The music/art scene here is fantastic and the people are generally nice. I do complain about the sprawl all the time though. I think the biggest issue is the we are not barricaded on any side by a body of water or some other natural boundary thus everything keeps spreading out in every direction. If only there was a river, giant lake or ocean on one side of downtown Orlando then things would be more centralized and better.

mst

Postby mst » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:53 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:I have lived in Orlando my entire life and I love it. It is a city on the rise once we get some better public transit. The music/art scene here is fantastic and the people are generally nice. I do complain about the sprawl all the time though. I think the biggest issue is the we are not barricaded on any side by a body of water or some other natural boundary thus everything keeps spreading out in every direction. If only there was a river, giant lake or ocean on one side of downtown Orlando then things would be more centralized and better.

I hate to say this but Orlando will never have a decent public transit system. It is a car city. Always has been and will be until the advent of some new technology.

As far as having a body of water goes, that doesn't help too much. TB is extremely similar to Orlando metro, and is on a body of water... but that doesn't solve much. Still impossible to get the trains/bus routes to local neighborhoods in a cost-efficient way.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:23 pm

I'm worried about Emory taking a drop just because we got nuked so hard during OCI. We actually have a good number of people going on to clerk, but when Morris Manning cuts its ENTIRE FUCKING program, A&B goes from 50 to 6 and K&S goes from 64 to 8 that's gonna hurt our placement. I would love to see Emory crack the top 20, but it shouldn't after the past year. On the bright side, most of the big firms here said they're going to significantly increase their summer program size or reinstate their program. Maybe in the future as well continue to see the southern east coast grow.

IMO, the three best schools to make gains in the next few years are Vandy, UT, and Emory. California's market is awful and there's just too much quality in the Northeast to have more than jostling and bragging rights. The South will rise again.

super6

Postby super6 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:24 pm

mst wrote:
Mattfl88 wrote:I have lived in Orlando my entire life and I love it. It is a city on the rise once we get some better public transit. The music/art scene here is fantastic and the people are generally nice. I do complain about the sprawl all the time though. I think the biggest issue is the we are not barricaded on any side by a body of water or some other natural boundary thus everything keeps spreading out in every direction. If only there was a river, giant lake or ocean on one side of downtown Orlando then things would be more centralized and better.

I hate to say this but Orlando will never have a decent public transit system. It is a car city. Always has been and will be until the advent of some new technology.

As far as having a body of water goes, that doesn't help too much. TB is extremely similar to Orlando metro, and is on a body of water... but that doesn't solve much. Still impossible to get the trains/bus routes to local neighborhoods in a cost-efficient way.

All of this. The urban sprawl is what makes it impossible for Orlando to have good public transit.

2011Law wrote:
super6 wrote:Orlando. I hate it for the following reasons:
1. Urban sprawl
2. Heat
3. Humidity

I don't get complaint #4. What need do you have of driving out of state so often that it makes the complaint legitimate?

Also, your redeeming quality #1 is pretty pathetic, unless you are getting blown every day on your way to school.

All that said, outside of South Florida and maybe a few other places by a beach, I wouldn't want to live in Florida, so I do see why you hate Florida.

It's not that I drive out of state super often but it makes roadtrips difficult. If you want to go anywhere you pretty much have to fly. And redeeming point number one you just could understand until you had my drive. It includes the 417-408 transfer which is a big ass curve you can take at twice the speed limit and I have to drive through research park which never has any cops and has so straight pieces of road at all, just a whole bunch of fun yet unnecessary curves.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:39 pm

northwood wrote:
super6 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Wait Barbie, didn't you get a full ride to UIUC?

haha I wish. I was accepted with some $, but not a full ride at all.

You turned down money at the 21st ranked school to go to the 47th ranked school at sticker? You're crazy. Plus UF is in... Florida. I think that living here my whole life might have given me a tremendous bias against this state but I dislike Florida with a passion.

Also, I doubt FSU will overtake UF any time soon.

I dont think its that crazy
If you dont want to live in Illionois- then dont got UIUC. If you want to stay in FLA- go to UF or FSU

Yeah I posted like 100 threads on here with my big debate. It took me forever to decide. I've lived in FL since 8th grade (my family is from GA) and have established all my connections here. I know a lot of people and have networked in the legal field for a few years now. Plus, I'm getting married in May and my husband has all of his connections here. So, I'd be packing up and moving away fromwhere I'm comfortable to a place thats REALLY cold (for me), leaving all my connections behind for both myself and my husband, and throwing myself into a completely new place as a newlywed. I LOVED Illinois when I visited, though :(

and for that sake, I hope Illinois somehow breaks into the top 20 :D

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:43 pm

mst wrote:

I must say that driving around in Tampa sucks (I live here now) but I lived in Orlando for a few years and it sucked there more. At least if you're near downtown Tampa can be quite scenic :). I actually hated Florida until I realized what it was like other places. I know I went at the wrong time, but when I visied Illinois I also went to Kansas City, Indianapolis, and DC because of airplane craziness. All of these places were so cold and so gray! Sky was gray, ground was gray, etc. On the flight back home, I passed over gorgeous green grass and sparkling waters and was welcomed by perfect 70 degree weather and swaying palm trees. I was just like... ahhh :) home!

The summers here are AWFUL!!!! but I'm hoping to land a summer job with my aunt in Atlanta... not that their summers are much better.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Florida fucking rocks, Miami has some of the most beautiful women on the planet, and there has been 10 days the last 6 months where the weather could have kept me from the beach. Carry on.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:56 pm

I really hate you guys. I checked on this thread to get away from the idea of Miami at sticker. Damn it!

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:59 pm

Justathought wrote:I really hate you guys. I checked on this thread to get away from the idea of Miami at sticker. Damn it!

Go through the Florida school rankings thread that's got like 9 pages...we do a sufficient job trashing it for you :)

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:59 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:Where are the Harvard jokes? I've met some Harvard law school grads and was not impressed at all. In fact I was pretty disappointed. The hype just doesn't make sense. The grads I've met couldn't find their way out of a paper bag without their hands being held.

Hey, paper bags are no joke. Those things are ruthless.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:03 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Justathought wrote:I really hate you guys. I checked on this thread to get away from the idea of Miami at sticker. Damn it!

Go through the Florida school rankings thread that's got like 9 pages...we do a sufficient job trashing it for you :)

link?

gdh

Postby gdh » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:04 pm

1. Yale
2. Harvard
----------------
3. Columbia
4. Chicago
5. NYU
6. Penn
7. Stanford
---------------
8. Virginia
9. Berkeley