2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Barbie

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby Barbie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:09 pm

Just saw this thread-- had NO idea that the new rankings were coming out so soon! I'm verrry excited :) Any Floridians in here curious as to the FSU vs. UF rankings?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:12 pm

Barbie wrote:Just saw this thread-- had NO idea that the new rankings were coming out so soon! I'm verrry excited :) Any Floridians in here curious as to the FSU vs. UF rankings?

Native New Yorker here- but 2 very close cousins went to the rivalry schools. One went to UF the other FSU. They love to argue about which school is better ( and they can get heated) so to add fuel to the fire i want to know!

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Barbie wrote:Just saw this thread-- had NO idea that the new rankings were coming out so soon! I'm verrry excited :) Any Floridians in here curious as to the FSU vs. UF rankings?

I'm betting Miami passes both due to excessive spending on fountain and palm tree maintenance, which counts as a per student expenditure.

Crazy4lawzzz

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:13 pm

For ANYONE looking to these rankings as a guide to selecting a law school, I would recommend not doing so. As a 3L looking for jobs, who also attends one of the schools on the list, albiet at the bottom of the list, I can tell you that getting a job has come to a few simple factors.

1) If you go to a school that is T-14 (if yes, then you have a substantial factor that will get you hired)

2) Do you have excellent grades, journal experience at a non-T14 school (BUT NOT a bottom of the barrel non-T14 school with a particularly bad reputation)... (if yes, then you have a good shot at a state trial judicial clerkship but law firm/government jobs are still reserved for the VERY top few students at the school)

3) Do you have connections? If you go to a non-T14 school and you have connections, you can still get a job though not at a V100 firm.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:14 pm

northwood wrote:

Native New Yorker here- but 2 very close cousins went to the rivalry schools. One went to UF the other FSU. They love to argue about which school is better ( and they can get heated) so to add fuel to the fire i want to know!

As someone who is currently committed to UF at sticker and got a scholarship to FSU, I'm hoping UF stays the clear front-runner. I know these rankings supposivly dont mean anything... but lets be real... if FSU jumps up above UF all HELL will break loose.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:15 pm

im a floridian and eagerly waiting too, but im focusing on Emory. So far its a go unless Columbia, Cornell, Northwestern come thru.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:15 pm

Barbie wrote:
northwood wrote:

As someone who is currently committed to UF at sticker and got a scholarship to FSU, I'm hoping UF stays the clear front-runner. I know these rankings supposivly dont mean anything... but lets be real... if FSU jumps up above UF all HELL will break loose.

Yea big law firms will lay off all the UF students they never hired, in order to still not recruit at FSU.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Barbie wrote:
northwood wrote:

Yea big law firms will lay off all the UF students they never hired, in order to still not recruit at FSU.

Or, as one would logically assume, I was talking in more of a student rivalry sense. Anyway, hows your job?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:20 pm

Wait Barbie, didn't you get a full ride to UIUC?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Wait Barbie, didn't you get a full ride to UIUC?

haha I wish. I was accepted with some $, but not a full ride at all.

achilles

Postby achilles » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:45 pm

Barbie wrote:
northwood wrote:

Supposivly? Nobody else saw this?

Anyway, do the rankings come out at midnight on the 15th?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:48 pm

Barbie wrote:
northwood wrote:

How much is UF at sticker? Isn't UIUIC or w/e better?

super6

Postby super6 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Barbie wrote:

You turned down money at the 21st ranked school to go to the 47th ranked school at sticker? You're crazy. Plus UF is in... Florida. I think that living here my whole life might have given me a tremendous bias against this state but I dislike Florida with a passion.

Also, I doubt FSU will overtake UF any time soon.

mapes

Postby mapes » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:52 pm

achilles wrote:Supposivly? Nobody else saw this?

i still understood the post. didn't you?

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:53 pm

super6 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

You turned down money at the 21st ranked school to go to the 47th ranked school at sticker? You're crazy. Plus UF is in... Florida. I think that living here my whole life might have given me a tremendous bias against this state but I dislike Florida with a passion.

What part did you live in and why do you hate it (I'm asking purely out of curiosity)?

mst

Postby mst » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Barbie wrote:
northwood wrote:

I laughed pretty hard.

achilles

Postby achilles » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:05 pm

mapes wrote:
achilles wrote:Supposivly? Nobody else saw this?

i still understood the post. didn't you?

Indeed; I've just never seen that word before haha. I googled it, and apparently it's pretty common. Maybe I'm not spending enough time on the internet?

Sorry for the off-topicness. Back to ranking predictions! Or better yet, a leak

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:09 pm

Tagging. I will keep a look out for the list in the subways. Hopefully someone will be selling it early.

mst

Postby mst » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:12 pm

Predic's:

1.Yale
2.Harvud
3.Stanfud
4.Columbia
5.Chicago
5.NYU
7.Penn
8.Mich
8.UVA
10.Berk
11.Northwestern
12.Duke
13.Cornell
14.Georgetttown

15.Texas
16.UCLA
16.Vandy
18.USC
19.GW
20.WUSTL

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:42 pm

super6 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

I dont think its that crazy
If you dont want to live in Illionois- then dont got UIUC. If you want to stay in FLA- go to UF or FSU

Tsispilos

Postby Tsispilos » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:46 pm

prediction, based solely on the fact that this is how they're grouped in my mind.

1. yale
2. harvard
2. stanford
4. nyu
4. columbia
4. chicago
7. penn
7. berkeley
7. michigan
7. uva
11. northwestern
11. duke
11. cornell
14. georgetown
15. ucla
15. texas
15. vanderbilt
15. usc
15. wustl
20. bu
20. gw
20. emory
22. everything else in tier 1

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Fordham
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Penn
Michigan
UVA
NorthWestern
Chicago
Berkeley ( negative points for hippie stench)
UCLA
Gtown
BU
WUSTL
Duke
GW
Everywhting else

ps. GO NYC!!!!!!!

Tsispilos

Postby Tsispilos » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:51 pm

northwood wrote:Fordham
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Penn
Michigan
UVA
NorthWestern
Chicago
Berkeley ( negative points for hippie stench)
UCLA
Gtown
BU
WUSTL
Duke
GW
Everywhting else

ps. GO NYC!!!!!!!

ok obviously you have a nyc fixation, but why fordham on top

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:52 pm

just to be different

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:57 pm

northwood wrote:just to be different

duke sucks. *highfive*

Return to “Choosing a Law School”