2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
keg411

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:57 pm

True story... when I was buying LSAT books last year a girl from Seton Hall law was working at Borders. To be fair, she was a 3L and not a grad.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:57 pm

I wonder where UC-Irvine will be ranked when it finally gets ranked.

When will that happen? Does anybody know?

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:05 pm

pereira6 wrote:I wonder where UC-Irvine will be ranked when it finally gets ranked.

When will that happen? Does anybody know?

people who are going to UCI think it's going to be 20-30. I don't think anyone actually has any idea though. accreditation usually takes 3-5 years. I will say one thing, they do have Chemerinsky.

edit: found this: http://www.law.uci.edu/accreditation.html
Last edited by FuManChusco on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cldplayts

Postby cldplayts » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:13 pm

hope this is not a stupid question, but what do law school grads typically do about the bar? it seems weird to me that 95% davis grads have jobs at graduation and 96% have jobs within 9 months, whereas at hastings less than 50% have jobs at graduation and then 84% after 9 months. i figured most jobs that require a JD also require bar passage, but I guess not. do grads at davis get a job and study for the bar while theyre in that job? i thought the normal thing to do was to take time off after graduation to study for the bar. someone please enlighten me.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:15 pm

cldplayts wrote:hope this is not a stupid question, but what do law school grads typically do about the bar? it seems weird to me that 95% davis grads have jobs at graduation and 96% have jobs within 9 months, whereas at hastings less than 50% have jobs at graduation and then 84% after 9 months. i figured most jobs that require a JD also require bar passage, but I guess not. do grads at davis get a job and study for the bar while theyre in that job? i thought the normal thing to do was to take time off after graduation to study for the bar. someone please enlighten me.

dear everyone,

please stop paying attention to employment data.

sincerely,

FuMan

nylawyer488

Postby nylawyer488 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:22 pm

Honestly so many of these rankings fluctuate each year, especially the tier 2 schools. So what is the difference between a lot of these tier 2 schools? Is there a difference?

Seton Hall is now ranked 61, ahead of Brooklyn Law at 67.

Catholic, which was ranked 98 last year, is now at 79--while St. Johns is now at 95, when just last year is was 72.

These shifts happen each year.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:26 pm

nylawyer488 wrote:Honestly so many of these rankings fluctuate each year, especially the tier 2 schools. So what is the difference between a lot of these tier 2 schools? Is there a difference?

Catholic, which was ranked 98 last year, is now at 79--while St. Johns is now at 95, when just last year is was 72.

The key is to find schools that are progressively moving upwards in the T2--and perhaps crack the T1 eventually--instead of going back and forth.

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:26 pm

The new ranks clearly serve only one purpose: UT trolls can ejaculate faster while masturbating.

cldplayts

Postby cldplayts » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:26 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
cldplayts wrote:hope this is not a stupid question, but what do law school grads typically do about the bar? it seems weird to me that 95% davis grads have jobs at graduation and 96% have jobs within 9 months, whereas at hastings less than 50% have jobs at graduation and then 84% after 9 months. i figured most jobs that require a JD also require bar passage, but I guess not. do grads at davis get a job and study for the bar while theyre in that job? i thought the normal thing to do was to take time off after graduation to study for the bar. someone please enlighten me.

dear everyone,

sincerely,

FuMan

Heh. People can talk all they want about how the rankings don't mean anything - the truth is, they may not be ACCURATE, but that doesn't make them MEANINGLESS. US News rankings are authoritative regardless of their accuracy, and they have real-world implications.

But anyway, my question still stands, whether those employment stats mean something or not.

Postby 1234543523 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:27 pm

pereira6 wrote:
nylawyer488 wrote:Honestly so many of these rankings fluctuate each year, especially the tier 2 schools. So what is the difference between a lot of these tier 2 schools? Is there a difference?

The key is to find schools that are progressively moving upwards in the T2--and perhaps crack the T1 eventually--instead of going back and forth.

The key is to attend a school where people don't really give a shit about the rankings.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:29 pm

f7 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

The key is to attend a school where people don't really give a shit about the rankings.

The key is to attend HYS. Boom, goodbye shifts.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:29 pm

For some reason, I thought Drexel was going to be ranked this year. Was that supposed to happen, or was it not until 2012 all along?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:34 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
f7 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

Y only.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:35 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
f7 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

Y only.

For continuity

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:36 pm

cldplayts wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

dear everyone,

sincerely,

FuMan

Heh. People can talk all they want about how the rankings don't mean anything - the truth is, they may not be ACCURATE, but that doesn't make them MEANINGLESS. US News rankings are authoritative regardless of their accuracy, and they have real-world implications.

But anyway, my question still stands, whether those employment stats mean something or not.

Except they aren't. Only 0L's, and admissions deans care. And Admissions deans only care because 0L's care.

Firm hiring committees don't rewrite their cut offs because Boalt dropped another 2 spots.

USNews doesn't create the perception about law schools, it just does a fairly crappy job of measuring it.

cldplayts

Postby cldplayts » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
cldplayts wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

dear everyone,

sincerely,

FuMan

Except they aren't. Only 0L's, and admissions deans care. And Admissions deans only care because 0L's care.

Firm hiring committees don't rewrite their cut offs because Boalt dropped another 2 spots.

USNews doesn't create the perception about law schools, it just does a fairly crappy job of measuring it.

I dunno... I think it's wishful thinking to say that US News doesn't create the perception to some extent, even among firms. The Boalt example is pretty weak - Boalt is Boalt (and still top 10).

nylawyer488

Postby nylawyer488 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:43 pm

Okay, so is there any difference between attending any of these schools: Hostra, Seton Hall, Brooklyn, or St. John's?

As they have all fluctuated in ranking the past several years.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:50 pm

The only differences are that Hofstra is more of a Long Island school, Seton Hall is more of a Jersey school (obviously), and Brooklyn has a slightly better reputation.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:50 pm

cldplayts wrote:I dunno... I think it's wishful thinking to say that US News doesn't create the perception to some extent, even among firms. The Boalt example is pretty weak - Boalt is Boalt (and still top 10).

DNC routinely place as many or more students into big law than MBVP. Schools like BC, GWU and Fordham make Minnesota look like a TTT. IUB is a T30 school but places like a T2.

It's silly think that hiring partners are reading a two bit magazine to make hiring decisions. USNews exists to help mothers be proud of their son going to the T19th best regional undergrad that doesn't have a doctoral program.

Boggs

Postby Boggs » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:51 pm

fatduck wrote:
Redsgomarchingon wrote:jesus christ, this thread went from 16 to 48 in a day

only because of a change in post counting methodology, do not be alarmed

I know this is from last night (so super old news), but TITCR!

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:57 pm

one school lies and the other does not. what has changed for Davis in the last three years? LSAT scores gone up? No. Peer and Lawyer Judge reputations? No. More selective? No. The only things that have gone up are their employment rates (which went from the mid-70%s in 2003-2007 to 95%+ in 2010-2011 USNWR), and they built a new building.

cldplayts

Postby cldplayts » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:17 pm

DNC routinely place as many or more students into big law than MBVP. Schools like BC, GWU and Fordham make Minnesota look like a TTT. IUB is a T30 school but places like a T2.

It's silly think that hiring partners are reading a two bit magazine to make hiring decisions. USNews exists to help mothers be proud of their son going to the T19th best regional undergrad that doesn't have a doctoral program.

Hah ok. Well I'm pretty convinced hiring partners don't do that. The BC GW Fordham vs. Minn is more of the exception than the rule though. I've followed firm hiring statistics over the years and they largely reflect US News rankings. Not saying there's causation, just saying that firm hiring stats and us news aren't telling much different stories.

I guess, most of all, I tend to automatically question people who totally deny us news ranking relevance, simply because US news rankings are so highly anticipated and widely referenced. The large amount of denial seems like a counter-attack more than an accurate assessment. The fact itself that there's such much denial seems to indicate US news aren't that meaningless. Maybe I'm wrong.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
cldplayts wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

dear everyone,

sincerely,

FuMan

+1,000

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:19 pm

cldplayts wrote:

Hah ok. Well I'm pretty convinced hiring partners don't do that. The BC GW Fordham vs. Minn is more of the exception than the rule though. I've followed firm hiring statistics over the years and they largely reflect US News rankings. Not saying there's causation, just saying that firm hiring stats and us news aren't telling much different stories.

I guess, most of all, I tend to automatically question people who totally deny us news ranking relevance, simply because US news rankings are so highly anticipated and widely referenced. The large amount of denial seems like a counter-attack more than an accurate assessment. The fact itself that there's such much denial seems to indicate US news aren't that meaningless. Maybe
I'm wrong.

cldplayts

Postby cldplayts » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:21 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
cldplayts wrote:

I guess, most of all, I tend to automatically question people who totally deny us news ranking relevance, simply because US news rankings are so highly anticipated and widely referenced. The large amount of denial seems like a counter-attack more than an accurate assessment. The fact itself that there's such much denial seems to indicate US news aren't that meaningless. Maybe
I'm wrong.

Heh. You must have committed already to Emory.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”