2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chup

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby chup » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:48 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I don't like the stranglehold the magazine has on law school administration

The main reason that stranglehold exists is because law students and applicants give them so much credence/attention.

/remembers a certain episode from a few years ago involving a frantic sprint through midtown.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:49 am

SBL wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
f7 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Happy to join in the fun, if a bit late. I've been at dinner with my mom and grandma.

I, who hate and despise the rankings uniquely, am still pleased to be back attending a T30. Never prouder or happier for Fordham. (We did cut the PT program, but added an afternoon section, and I am happy to note the school stayed pretty damn committed to admitting interesting people even with more modest numbers.)

Does not compute.

The rankings are largely meaningless drivel, and they're actually harmful drivel, because deans can get sacked if their schools drop in the rankings in consecutive years. I happen to strongly dislike USNWR's past methodology, and feel they could do a far better job compelling transparency, but I am still happy my school rose in the rankings because I happen to like our head of admissions and I don't want him under pressure to change admissions standards here. We admit some really amazing nontrads and others who are not good for a magazine formula, perhaps, but are very, very good for the school. I'm glad we rose in the rankings, because it's a vindication of our admissions strategy, and an indication that admissions will likely be left alone to do its thing.

I don't like the stranglehold the magazine has on law school administration, but until that changes, it means admissions will have greater latitude while our rank is rising, at least by my guess.

Now that it's T30 again, I'll stop calling it FartHam

Now I could make a joke about cows farting, but see, I'm too grown up and mature for that.

No I'm not.

<3 <3

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:49 am

harrijust86 wrote:
So if TLS isn't a reliable source for the data, where is? I don't want to have to fork over the money for it, I'm just curious.

TLS is reliable, it just isn't going to be instant. The people who run the site have other careers.
lawschoolpredictor.com has some rankings up I think, or just buy a US News subscription, its not that much.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:51 am

Yeah I remember going through this same thing before undergrad. No one cares after 1st year.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:52 am

FiveSermon wrote:Yeah I remember going through this same thing before undergrad. No one cares after 1st year.

It did bother me a little when UM pushed UF out of the top 50 undergrad schools. It was in the school paper with the dean complaining about UM gaming the rankings - saying it was all about money or something like that.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:56 am

the rankings are fun and all, but the fluctuations are virtually meaningless. literally the only difference is now you may or may not get to say you go to a T20, T30, T1, etc.

this day is always so overhyped.

pelmen74

Postby pelmen74 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:57 am

#11 Duke University 95.90% 95.40%...

Can anyone explain this?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:58 am

traehekat wrote:the rankings are fun and all, but the fluctuations are virtually meaningless. literally the only difference is now you may or may not get to say you go to a T20, T30, T1, etc.

this day is always so overhyped.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:03 am

chup wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I don't like the stranglehold the magazine has on law school administration

The main reason that stranglehold exists is because law students and applicants give them so much credence/attention.

/remembers a certain episode from a few years ago involving a frantic sprint through midtown.

Yes, I did that. For a simple prank, it changed my life in more ways than I can possibly recount, and some people think it moved my school to discover who I was on TLS (they admitted to doing so), as I was admitted from the waitlist nine days after I did it. Cardozo let me in four days before Fordham did.

(If you must know, I hadn't thought that far ahead when I got the rankings. I was bored and upset at my then-boyfriend for blowing me off that night, and it seemed like a grand adventure.)

As to students/applicants having that power, I don't know that we do, chup, at least not as individuals. We would have to organize and stand up to USNews in order to have any measurable power, and I don't see that happening. Individual institutions, especially high ranking ones, have a chance at fighting back alone, but we the students get to take it and like it, unless we band together or do what Observationalist and Jenesaislaw did with Law School Transparency.

What I did was a service to TLS. I didn't like the rankings then, and I grew to loathe them, while acknowledging the role that silly prank played in my own life.

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:12 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
chup wrote:

Yes, I did that. For a simple prank, it changed my life in more ways than I can possibly recount, and some people think it moved my school to discover who I was on TLS (they admitted to doing so), as I was admitted from the waitlist nine days after I did it. Cardozo let me in four days before Fordham did.

(If you must know, I hadn't thought that far ahead when I got the rankings. I was bored and upset at my then-boyfriend for blowing me off that night, and it seemed like a grand adventure.)

As to students/applicants having that power, I don't know that we do, chup, at least not as individuals. We would have to organize and stand up to USNews in order to have any measurable power, and I don't see that happening. Individual institutions, especially high ranking ones, have a chance at fighting back alone, but we the students get to take it and like it, unless we band together or do what Observationalist and Jenesaislaw did with Law School Transparency.

What I did was a service to TLS. I didn't like the rankings then, and I grew to loathe them, while acknowledging the role that silly prank played in my own life.

Interesting...Is there a thread where us newer TLS users can read about this story? Is there a TL:DR version?

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:25 am

powerlawyer06 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
chup wrote:

Interesting...Is there a thread where us newer TLS users can read about this story? Is there a TL:DR version?

I found it... in the archives now.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =1&t=69258
Geoanthem, who narrated, is one of my classmates.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:30 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I found it... in the archives now.

that is so awesome. i wish this year would have been as exciting as that was!

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:35 am

Last edited by rman1201 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:39 am

rman1201 wrote:I just went through all the predictions ITT and not a single person even correctly guessed the T8

lol @ your life.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:40 am

danquayle wrote:
SirWilliam1022 wrote:Can somebody post a before picture of Japan and title it UC Davis
Then do an after picture of Japan and title it Emory

Thanks!

P.S. - I was hoping Northwestern would jump past Duke, but much the opposite occurred. Thoughts on this? I noticed Duke's admit numbers were actually considerably better which is weird to me because nobody seems to talk up Duke much. They have a good rep, but also a rep as a frat school. Also, what the f--- happened to Berkeley?

Also... how the f--- did Texas jump into a tie with Georgetown when their admit numbers are fairly lower, employment numbers are relatively the same. Am I missing something there?

Dude... too soon.

+1 not funny at all. My prayers go out Japan. Not all Americans are jerks with no feelings..

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:42 am

The Stig wrote:

That was a fun night. We were all living vicariously through Opera :-)

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:43 am

Last edited by rman1201 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:45 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
chup wrote:

Fuck USNWR, but don't blame them for making money

The ABA needs to step and demand honesty and transparency in employment outcomes.... everything else is just pissing in the wind. Give the prospective students ALL the available employment info, and tell them what info is not available. Currently law schools are jumping all over themselves trying to game these rankings. One move by the ABA and we can finally have some sanity... and shit, maybe we won't have people paying 150k because they think they'll have a 90%+ chance at Big Law salaries...

If we stand up to anyone it should be them, and the law school admins themselves.
Last edited by Borhas on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:46 am

So University of California--Davis is a better school than Illinois, huh?

Postby 20160810 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:50 am

kk19131 wrote:So University of California--Davis is a better school than Illinois, huh?

I'd say so.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:51 am

Danteshek wrote:
The Stig wrote:

That was a fun night. We were all living vicariously through Opera :-)

You guys are too sweet. I was bored and not tired and living in downtown Manhattan (where I no longer live, unfortunately). TLS gave me a lot. If I was able to give back, it makes me glad to know... it was a good memory, that being the ultimate paradox. :lol:

chup

Postby chup » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:53 am

Borhas wrote:The ABA needs to step and demand honesty and transparency in employment outcomes.... everything else is just pissing in the wind. Give the prospective students ALL the available employment info, and tell them what info is not available. Currently law schools are jumping all over themselves trying to game these rankings. One move by the ABA and we can finally have some sanity... and shit, maybe we won't have people paying 150k because they think they'll have a 90%+ chance at Big Law salaries...

CR, although the fact that these people still exist despite all the information to the contrary makes me think law schools/ABA aren't the only ones to blame.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:06 am

Anyone care to post stats for USF and UOP?

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:08 am

Reiterating the sentiments of my fellow Wolverines, GO BLUE! :D

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:13 am

feel pretty good with my decision to take the year off to improve LSAT after seeing where my only acceptance dropped to.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”