2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rman1201

Silver

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Post by rman1201 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:13 am

No.

No it isn't.
Yes, yes it is. If you hover over it a box pops up explaining those specific data figures are for class of 2009. I'll post a screen shot in a sec

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:15 am

--ImageRemoved--

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:16 am

f7u12 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Happy to join in the fun, if a bit late. I've been at dinner with my mom and grandma.

I, who hate and despise the rankings uniquely, am still pleased to be back attending a T30. Never prouder or happier for Fordham. (We did cut the PT program, but added an afternoon section, and I am happy to note the school stayed pretty damn committed to admitting interesting people even with more modest numbers.)
Does not compute.
The rankings are largely meaningless drivel, and they're actually harmful drivel, because deans can get sacked if their schools drop in the rankings in consecutive years. I happen to strongly dislike USNWR's past methodology, and feel they could do a far better job compelling transparency, but I am still happy my school rose in the rankings because I happen to like our head of admissions and I don't want him under pressure to change admissions standards here. We admit some really amazing nontrads and others who are not good for a magazine formula, perhaps, but are very, very good for the school. I'm glad we rose in the rankings, because it's a vindication of our admissions strategy, and an indication that admissions will likely be left alone to do its thing.

I don't like the stranglehold the magazine has on law school administration, but until that changes, it means admissions will have greater latitude while our rank is rising, at least by my guess.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:18 am

wtf?

I counter you with my own screenshot of their profile page.

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:20 am

Most of these changes in the T14 really are insignificant. Sure Michigan and Penn are ranked #7 and UVA and Boalt are at #9 but in the actual scaled score, it's a difference between 86/100 and 85/100.

I made a quick spreadsheet showing the position of the T14 schools along the 100 pt scale.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?hl= ... utput=html
Last edited by absolutazn87 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:20 am

USNWR: Our career stats are busted.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:21 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:wtf?

Hover over it! Or get a better web browser.

All the other data is c/o 2008, but the data used in the rankings (employment rate at grad and 9 months out) are for class of 2009. They wouldn't be able to put out new rankings if they used old data for the actual rankings.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:23 am

beachbum wrote:
theantiscalia wrote:
Sentry wrote:WTF is going on at Mizzou? T60 two years ago and now is a TTT.
That's what I want to know. They're now behind SLU as the third best law school in the state. And they're barely ahead of UMKC.
+1, very strange. I know the UM system is undergoing some major budget problems, but that's a pretty massive drop in a short period of time. And speaking of Missouri schools, I'm also kinda disappointed that SLU didn't rise at all.
Found this yesterday. Seems Mizzou (and 15 others) hurt themselves by not gaming the rankings last year (at least in this regard). Their percentage employed at graduation for this year is shockingly low (as reported) - something like 33%.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... hools.html

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:24 am

rman1201 wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:wtf?

Hover over it! Or get a better web browser.

All the other data is c/o 2008, but the data used in the rankings (employment rate at grad and 9 months out) are for class of 2009. They wouldn't be able to put out new rankings if they used old data for the actual rankings.
Hovering over it does nothing, and it's not changing based on the web browser.

USNews fail.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:25 am

you guys actually subscribed just to see the rankings?
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:26 am

Borhas wrote:you guys actually subscribed just to see the rankings?
no you get the rankings for free. but subscription might give you some data that is relevant to your interests. i'm not sure - i'm not paying for that.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:27 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote: Hovering over it does nothing, and it's not changing based on the web browser.

USNews fail.
It pops up for me, I'm sure some other users can verify (I acknowledge my screenshot looks doctored, but it really isn't. They just have a crappy looking box that pops up next to your cursor)

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:29 am

rman1201 wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote: Hovering over it does nothing, and it's not changing based on the web browser.

USNews fail.
It pops up for me, I'm sure some other users can verify (I acknowledge my screenshot looks doctored, but it really isn't. They just have a crappy looking box that pops up next to your cursor)
Oh, I believe you. I'm saying it's a fail on their part for not updating the numbers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:29 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote: Oh, I believe you. I'm saying it's a fail on their part for not updating the numbers.
I concur. Most likely because the numbers for the first ITE class are horrendous.

Redsgomarchingon

Bronze

Post by Redsgomarchingon » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:33 am

jesus christ, this thread went from 16 to 48 in a day

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:33 am

Redsgomarchingon wrote:jesus christ, this thread went from 16 to 48 in a day
only because of a change in post counting methodology, do not be alarmed

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:34 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
f7u12 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Happy to join in the fun, if a bit late. I've been at dinner with my mom and grandma.

I, who hate and despise the rankings uniquely, am still pleased to be back attending a T30. Never prouder or happier for Fordham. (We did cut the PT program, but added an afternoon section, and I am happy to note the school stayed pretty damn committed to admitting interesting people even with more modest numbers.)
Does not compute.
The rankings are largely meaningless drivel, and they're actually harmful drivel, because deans can get sacked if their schools drop in the rankings in consecutive years. I happen to strongly dislike USNWR's past methodology, and feel they could do a far better job compelling transparency, but I am still happy my school rose in the rankings because I happen to like our head of admissions and I don't want him under pressure to change admissions standards here. We admit some really amazing nontrads and others who are not good for a magazine formula, perhaps, but are very, very good for the school. I'm glad we rose in the rankings, because it's a vindication of our admissions strategy, and an indication that admissions will likely be left alone to do its thing.

I don't like the stranglehold the magazine has on law school administration, but until that changes, it means admissions will have greater latitude while our rank is rising, at least by my guess.
Now that it's T30 again, I'll stop calling it FartHam

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jasonac21

New

Post by jasonac21 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:34 am

rman1201 wrote:

USNews fail.
Pop up works for me when you hover over it. 2009 numbers.

harrijust86

Bronze

Post by harrijust86 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:34 am

So I hate to be the cheapskate of the bunch, but can someone (who for some god awful reason decided to pay for such a thing) post the full information including lsat percentiles, acceptance rate, etc?

Or, does anyone know how long it will take TLS to update their page?
Last edited by harrijust86 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:35 am

harrijust86 wrote:So I hate to be the cheapskate of the bunch, but can someone (who for some god aweful reason decided to pay for such a thing) post the full information including lsat percentiles, acceptance rate, etc?

Judging by the rate they updated the rankings and stats in the past....2 years. (pretty sure all the stats are from 2 years ago....while the rankings are from last year...WTF)
Last edited by cornellbeez on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:36 am

fatduck wrote:
Redsgomarchingon wrote:jesus christ, this thread went from 16 to 48 in a day
only because of a change in post counting methodology, do not be alarmed
ROFL

P.S. Good for SUNY Buffalo. #84!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:38 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
f7u12 wrote:

Does not compute.

Man, Northwestern's Dean better watch out...oh wait.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:40 am

cornellbeez wrote:
harrijust86 wrote:So I hate to be the cheapskate of the bunch, but can someone (who for some god aweful reason decided to pay for such a thing) post the full information including lsat percentiles, acceptance rate, etc?

Judging by the rate they updated the rankings and stats in the past....2 years. (pretty sure all the stats are from 2 years ago....while the rankings are from last year...WTF)
Last edited by rman1201 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

boushi

Bronze

Post by boushi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:43 am

I made a color chart of some changes to the top 15 if anyone's interested:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3#p4166153

A bit easier to read than the all-data posts.

harrijust86

Bronze

Post by harrijust86 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:44 am

rman1201 wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:

Hey man... I did the Top-B-Schools update a couple weeks ago, that shit takes a while to update.
So if TLS isn't a reliable source for the data, where is? I don't want to have to fork over the money for it, I'm just curious.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”