2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CryingMonkey

Bronze

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Post by CryingMonkey » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:42 pm

nylawyer488 wrote:
maglialoro wrote:
2things2 wrote: Of course they matter -- what's the easiest way to tell if the kid you're about to hire at your firm had a good law education or not? Rankings. Sure that's an incredibly inaccurate way of going about it, but its whats happening.
No, not really. If you get all Cs wherever you are it means you were lower amongst your class and/or didn't fully master or understand material. Whereas if you get a kid from a tier 3 or even tier 4 school who got all As, it's a totally different story.
True-ish. Cs are incredibly hard to get just about everywhere these days, so you'd have to be damn near the bottom of your class to have all Cs. That said, top of your class at a tier 4 school is probably not going to get you as far as median at a top school.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:54 pm

The rankings have existed long before USNWR. Even though they are massively flawed, they aren't going away any time soon.

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:14 pm

keg411 wrote:The rankings have existed long before USNWR. Even though they are massively flawed, they aren't going away any time soon.
If there was a nuclear war, there'd be nothing left but cock roaches and USNWR rankings.

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:16 pm

A law school's reputation is much more than 1 year inclusion in the rankings. GULC has had a great reputation for a long time. Most attorneys dont even know the specific rankings of the schools, just general reputation. Georgetown's reputation hasn't changed because they included Texas in the 14th ranking. US News trend is to include many schools in the same ranking. Law schools are either very close to each other in the criteria that that is used or US News etc. has no backbone!

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:19 pm

Emma1 wrote:A law school's reputation is much more than 1 year inclusion in the rankings. GULC has had a great reputation for a long time. Most attorneys dont even know the specific rankings of the schools, just general reputation. Georgetown's reputation hasn't changed because they included Texas in the 14th ranking. US News trend is to include many schools in the same ranking. Law schools are either very close to each other in the criteria that that is used or US News etc. has no backbone!
hmmm, I think I saw this same exact post in another thread. sounds like a butthurt GTown student.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:23 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
Emma1 wrote:A law school's reputation is much more than 1 year inclusion in the rankings. GULC has had a great reputation for a long time. Most attorneys dont even know the specific rankings of the schools, just general reputation. Georgetown's reputation hasn't changed because they included Texas in the 14th ranking. US News trend is to include many schools in the same ranking. Law schools are either very close to each other in the criteria that that is used or US News etc. has no backbone!
hmmm, I think I saw this same exact post in another thread. sounds like a butthurt GTown student.
Sorry, I'm not a GTown student but think it is a great school

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:26 pm

Emma1 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
nice try, Emma Coleman Jordan

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:35 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
Emma1 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
LOL so funny! Not faculty either ( I can google too) or affilated with GULC but I am flattered that you would think so.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:44 pm

ihp12 wrote:
keg411 wrote:The rankings have existed long before USNWR. Even though they are massively flawed, they aren't going away any time soon.
If there was a nuclear war, there'd be nothing left but cock roaches and USNWR rankings.
And then USNews would rank the cockroaches.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:46 pm

aschup wrote:
ihp12 wrote:
brilliant

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:56 pm

Emma1 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
Emma1 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
LOL so funny! Not faculty either ( I can google too) or affilated with GULC but I am flattered that you would think so.
IB name change

Post by 1234543523 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:10 pm

aschup wrote:
ihp12 wrote:
But they already rank law firms.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:21 pm

f7u12 wrote:
aschup wrote:
ihp12 wrote:
But they already rank law firms.
http://www.hiyoooo.com/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:13 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:I can see how they would rank wisconsin that high. It's a premier research university and it has a lot more departments/schools than Duke. It has quality and quantity. These rankings aren't just undergrad or anything like that. But if Wisconsin's up there. I'd be curious to see where Berkeley, Michigan and UVA are sitting.
Follow the link?
Yeah I know I'm being a bum and I was watching basketball. That's crazy though. Berkeley at number 4? UCLA at 12 and Michigan at 13. That's crazy.
How is this surprising? Berkeley is ranked #2 by ARWU (the authority on world rankings); UCLA is #13 and Michigan is #22. If anything, Berkeley got shafted in the Times rankings haha

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:31 pm

This link is pure win.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:57 pm

why are the mods so concerned with LSAT copyright infringement, but disregard all the posting of paid data in this thread? in fact, they have seemed to encourage it.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:00 pm

General Tso wrote:why are the mods so concerned with LSAT copyright infringement, but disregard all the posting of paid data in this thread? in fact, they have seemed to encourage it.
I was wondering the same thing. Particularly the posting of "premium" data.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:07 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
General Tso wrote:why are the mods so concerned with LSAT copyright infringement, but disregard all the posting of paid data in this thread? in fact, they have seemed to encourage it.
because LSAC sends them angry letters, and us news doesn't?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:13 pm

fatduck wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
perhaps my email to Bob Morse will change that.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:15 pm

fatduck wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
I definitely don't care. It's mostly just a curiosity. I'm all about having access to info without paying for it.

Post by 1234543523 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:22 pm

General Tso wrote:
fatduck wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
perhaps my email to Bob Morse will change that.
You mad brother?
General Tso wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
General Tso wrote: Which of the USNWR criteria has changed at Davis over those three years? Answer: none of them, except employment and the "secret" criteria that doesn't get published. That's what makes people suspicious of its rapid ascent.

The only criteria which really matter are student quality and peer and practitioner reputations. And in those areas Davis is no better than most schools ranked down into the 30s and 40s.
you are so bitter.
Not really..I don't give a crap anymore. I chose the wrong school to attend, but it's not Davis that I should have chosen. It'd help the discussion if you focused your attention on the schools we are debating instead of on me.
General Tso wrote:
Borhas wrote:
General Tso wrote:I'm actually with TLS poster "SBL" on this one. Unless you have a strong reason to be in SF, you should probably attend Davis. Hastings is something of a sinking ship.
god you're a wuss
if you have options and nothing to tie you to SF, why would you choose the lower ranked school? the difference in ranking (and probably employment prospects) between Hastings and Pepperdine/Loyola/USD seems to be shrinking as well. why pay all the extra money to attend Hastings? I wish I had attended USD. I don't need a high ranking school or a highly paid job to stroke my ego..I just need to feel like I made a smart financial decision in the school I chose to attend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:25 pm

what are you implying?

Post by 1234543523 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:27 pm

General Tso wrote:what are you implying?
That you mad.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:27 pm

--ImageRemoved--

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:27 pm

f7u12 wrote:
General Tso wrote:what are you implying?
That you mad.
about arbitrary mods and breaking the law? yep!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”