2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Pricer

Silver

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Post by Pricer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:52 am

mac87 wrote:A preview of the Top 10 is up.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... aw-schools
Good find. No surprises, though.

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:57 am

Pricer wrote:

Nope. None at all.

pinkzeppelin

Bronze

Post by pinkzeppelin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:57 am

Pricer wrote:

Yup. HYS-CCN-MVPB

TyrodTaylor

Bronze

Post by TyrodTaylor » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:58 am

anyone have class of 2010 employment stats for T30 schools? they seem grim form what ive sene

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:12 am

That preview is just another "ouch" moment for DNCG.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:28 am

pinkzeppelin wrote:
Pricer wrote:

Yup. HYS-CCN-MVPB
This is kind of random, but can anyone explain to me why these are grouped this way? Why is it always "HYS" and not "YHS"? I can understand that the others have changed ranks over the years and that could explain the "MVPB" order. Also, it isn't always written as "MVPB". I'm just curious as to why TLS adopted this order for listing the schools, especially "HYS".

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:30 am

mst wrote:That preview is just another "ouch" moment for DNCG.
Because there have been so many "ouch" moments for Cornell lately.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:37 am

Pricer wrote:
pinkzeppelin wrote:
Pricer wrote:

Yup. HYS-CCN-MVPB
This is kind of random, but can anyone explain to me why these are grouped this way? Why is it always "HYS" and not "YHS"? I can understand that the others have changed ranks over the years and that could explain the "MVPB" order. Also, it isn't always written as "MVPB". I'm just curious as to why TLS adopted this order for listing the schools, especially "HYS".
This is purely speculative, but my guess is that it has to do more with ease than anything else. HYS is much easier to say than any other combination. Also, MVP (B) is familiar and easy, as well. Same goes with CCN... much easier to say CCN than NCC or CNC. Just my two cents.

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:40 am

mst wrote:That preview is just another "ouch" moment for DNCG.
Perhaps, but was there ever any real expectation/hope that any from that group were t10 bound?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:43 am

Pricer wrote:This is kind of random, but can anyone explain to me why these are grouped this way? Why is it always "HYS" and not "YHS"? I can understand that the others have changed ranks over the years and that could explain the "MVPB" order. Also, it isn't always written as "MVPB". I'm just curious as to why TLS adopted this order for listing the schools, especially "HYS".
Easy. Chalk it up to egregious anti-Yale trolling.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am

Pricer wrote:
pinkzeppelin wrote:
Pricer wrote:

Yup. HYS-CCN-MVPB
It's actually YSH

there's just more H trolls than S or Y trolls is all

or another possibility: it comes from the other prestige whore abbreviation, HYP, which makes even less sense, because they aren't even the three best UG's to attend.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:59 am

Borhas wrote: It's actually YSH

there's just more H trolls than S or Y trolls is all

or another possibility: it comes from the other prestige whore abbreviation, HYP, which makes even less sense, because they aren't even the three best UG's to attend.
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... iversities

Why not?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:12 am

because a UG=/= national university

why the fuck would a freshman care about Harvard's master's program in Medical Anthropology... and why the fuck would a geneticist care about the post-modern lit... It's all a very stupid system, grounded in a imaginary world only seen by prestige whores.

also, the fact that MIT and Cal Tech aren't in top 3 kind of discredits the whole list
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:26 am

Borhas wrote:because a UG=/= national university

why the fuck would a freshman care about Harvard's master's program in Medical Anthropology... and why the fuck would a geneticist care about the post-modern lit... It's all a very stupid system, grounded in a imaginary world only seen by prestige whores.

also, the fact that MIT and Cal Tech aren't in top 3 kind of discredits the whole list
+1000

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:35 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:

+1000
It matters because we live in a world where universities are used more as a filter than as a value added system.

pinkzeppelin

Bronze

Post by pinkzeppelin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:39 am

Pricer wrote:
pinkzeppelin wrote:
Pricer wrote:

Yup. HYS-CCN-MVPB
I think the whole point when using these groupings is to say that within each group the schools are approximately equal. Therefore the order really doesn't matter. If it did, then why bother having the groups at all?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:41 am

danquayle wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

+1000
It matters because we live in a world where universities are used more as a filter than as a value added system.
no one's going to filter out an MIT econ major over a Harvard econ major because USNWR think Harvard has the more prestigious "national university"

if you want to talk about general name brands... sure. My JMU degree will get filtered out if I were applying to the same jobs that MIT and Harvard UG grads would be applying to.

But still, I admit, I look at the educational system as a value added system... it's the only way I can really justify this huge expenditure of resources... though you may be right, and we all might be stupid enough to live in such a world.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:46 am

pinkzeppelin wrote:
I think the whole point when using these groupings is to say that within each group the schools are approximately equal. Therefore the order really doesn't matter. If it did, then why bother having the groups at all?
because it's one more level of hierarchy, and prestige whores love hierarchy

which system could best express hierarchy, one that just lists #1 #2 #3 #4 etc...

or one that lists #1#2#3----#4#5#6#7-----#8#9#10

the second one contains two levels of hierarchy... that TWICE the prestige whoring!

dorriedoodle

New

Post by dorriedoodle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:55 am

If the rankings change at all this year, for those of you deciding where to go, will it have any effect?

RockyIII

Bronze

Post by RockyIII » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:00 am

dorriedoodle wrote:If the rankings change at all this year, for those of you deciding where to go, will it have any effect?
Yes, I have decided that I will go to the 2012 USNWR # 34 school, whatever that school is. 34 is my lucky number (Walter Payton) so I am basing my decision entirely on this number.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:02 am

RockyIII wrote:
dorriedoodle wrote:If the rankings change at all this year, for those of you deciding where to go, will it have any effect?
Yes, I have decided that I will go to the 2012 USNWR # 34 school, whatever that school is. 34 is my lucky number (Walter Payton) so I am basing my decision entirely on this number.
Isn't that how everyone does it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:02 am

If it does, then the people who make their decision based on the changed rankings should be relentlessly made fun of for such a stupid decision.

USNWR is a helpful rough sketch when you first decide to start applying to law schools. It should mean NOTHING at this point in the game.

I cannot stress this enough: Do not pick a school based on the USNWR rankings!

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:02 am

RockyIII wrote:
YAY FORDHAM!

hopefully they'll be higher than that tomorrow though...

dorriedoodle

New

Post by dorriedoodle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:02 am

RockyIII wrote:
If it's so arbitrary, then why care???

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:03 am

Better question: If you are considering Davis, for example, which is currently 28, and they go back to 44, or wherever they were a few years ago, would you forego Davis for another school, say Hastings, if Hastings ends up higher than 44?

Obviously, choosing a 40 over an 80 seems to be a no brainer, but, I want to know if a major drop in a school will cause someone to rethink. I think it is easy to justify going to a higher ranked school, but what about lower ranked schools, or lower than last year, that is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”