UC Davis w/ a little $ or Mizzou with a lot?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Mizzou or Davis

Mizzou
25%
Davis
75%

Total votes: 8

bjc314

UC Davis w/ a little $ or Mizzou with a lot?

Postby bjc314 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:45 am

Neither school seems particularly great, but Davis seems to have a much better program and much higher starting salaries. On the other hand, Mizzou has offered me what would essentially amount to a full ride. What to do?

amers73

Re: UC Davis w/ a little $ or Mizzou with a lot?

Postby amers73 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:49 am

Where do you want to practice law?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:31 pm

You have no chance to get to CA with a degree from Mizzou. You have very little to no chance of getting to MO with a Davis degree. Make a pick in terms of where you want to work and go there.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:34 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:You have no chance to get to CA with a degree from Mizzou. You have very little to no chance of getting to MO with a Davis degree. Make a pick in terms of where you want to work and go there.

You're supposed to be in class young man.

I agree though. Neither degree is going to have much portability outside of their respective regions.

bjc314

Postby bjc314 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:51 pm

I have some pretty good connections in St. Louis, so coming back probably wouldn't be a problem. I also had an LSAT catastrophe, so I'm hoping to transfer up if things go well my first year. All things equal, is Davis' program really worth the money?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:56 pm

bjc314 wrote:I have some pretty good connections in St. Louis, so coming back probably wouldn't be a problem. I also had an LSAT catastrophe, so I'm hoping to transfer up if things go well my first year. All things equal, is Davis' program really worth the money?

It seems like the most appropriate answer for you is to retake.

Going in expecting to transfer is a recipe for disaster.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:02 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:You have no chance to get to CA with a degree from Mizzou. You have very little to no chance of getting to MO with a Davis degree. Make a pick in terms of where you want to work and go there.

I go to Davis and had a callback from a firm in Des Moines, IA of all places. The vast majority of people who go to Davis end up working in SF or LA, but it is a top-30 school. If your grades are good enough and you can articulate a decent enough reason for wanting to work in a particular place, there aren't a lot of doors that are outright closed. Getting something in Missouri is 100% for sure going to take direct apps and not OCI, but it's plausible. Doing the reverse (Mizzou to a CA firm) seems exponentially less likely.

This one is kind of a no-brainer, to me, but don't go in expecting to transfer, because you won't end up doing that and you'll be that asshole who told everyone 1L that you were going to transfer and at whom we all point and laugh 2L year when he comes back.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”