2 Full Rides. Which to choose? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which full ride?

Case Western Reserve
8%
Indiana U- Bloomington
92%

Total votes: 78

HelltotheNo

New

2 Full Rides. Which to choose?

Post by HelltotheNo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Right now I have applied and been accepted to 14 schools. I have received 2 full rides out of the 14 and I am trying to decide which is the better option.

I have no idea where I want to practice but I do have a TTT market hookup (Dad is a very well known lawyer/I would have my choice of law job hookup) which I can always fall back on. ITE, which would be the better choice/carry more name rec/prestige. The reason I am just talking about the full rides in this post is because I want to Withdrawal from one so that someone else can have access to the money/acceptance. I would like to get BIGLAW if at all possible so out of these 2 which is the better choice?

If you could explain your vote it would be very much appreciated.
Last edited by HelltotheNo on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Gold

Re: 2 Full Rides. Which to choose?

Post by fatduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:15 pm

Have you applied to Washington & Lee? They're really shy about scholarships at first, but if you play hard-to-get and threaten to withdraw I hear they'll sometimes offer you a full ride.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:16 pm

Probably Indiana, but it may depend upon where you intend to practice as I imagine that Case Wstern Reserve is well established in the Cleveland, Ohio area.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:16 pm

All else equal, Indiana.

HelltotheNo

New

Post by HelltotheNo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:17 pm

fatduck wrote:Have you applied to Washington & Lee? They're really shy about scholarships at first, but if you play hard-to-get and threaten to withdraw I hear they'll sometimes offer you a full ride.
The white flag is up. Already withdrew. I am trying to open up some $$$ for someone else so lets try to keep this civil/on track.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:19 pm

If those two are the only choices then Indiana but there has to be something better in the middle.

HelltotheNo

New

Post by HelltotheNo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:20 pm

There is, I am just discussing the 2 full rides that I have so that I can W from one of them.

AboveTheLawSchool

Bronze

Post by AboveTheLawSchool » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:08 pm

fatduck wrote:Have you applied to Washington & Lee? They're really shy about scholarships at first, but if you play hard-to-get and threaten to withdraw I hear they'll sometimes offer you a full ride.
This made me lol

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:10 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:
This made me lol
I feel kind of bad so I'll give a serious response:

Indiana is your best bet, and Bloomington is a great town. Don't count on biglaw, but you should be able to find something in the midwest and it sounds like that's your goal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:12 pm

Wait on the other 12 schools.

HelltotheNo

New

Post by HelltotheNo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:47 pm

Consensus seems to go strongly with IU-B. Anyone care to share opinions on Emory w/ 45K or IU-B with the full?

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:02 pm

HelltotheNo wrote:Consensus seems to go strongly with IU-B. Anyone care to share opinions on Emory w/ 45K or IU-B with the full?
There are TLS horror stories about Emory's OCI. Atlanta got raped by the ITE monster.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:03 pm

rad law wrote:Wait on the other 12 schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:30 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
rad law wrote:Wait on the other 12 schools.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:49 am

Please don't go to Case. I live 10 minutes from there. After reading your other posts, I'm pretty sure I don't want you living that close to me. You'd fit in great at their law school though, it's a great collection of truly average minds and people that act like whiny bratty teenagers, like you. (Check out my dad's connections! You don't think W&L will offer me more money if I play hard to get? No? Then fuck you!) No real chance at Big Law though, lol.

Wait... I guess it's okay. I won't be anywhere near Case WesTTTern by the time you matriculate.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:01 pm

I'm surprised Indiana is doing so well considering it is likely not much better than Case.

They are both in crowded legal markets (in terms of number of law schools vs number of jobs) and neither really places better than the other.

One will make you feel better because it is ranked higher, but that's the only benefit you will receive other the other.

I say wait for the other 12 schools. Also, Emory is a better investment than these two - but I'm not sure how much better in terms of money.

HelltotheNo

New

Post by HelltotheNo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:06 pm

robotclubmember wrote:Please don't go to Case. I live 10 minutes from there. After reading your other posts, I'm pretty sure I don't want you living that close to me. You'd fit in great at their law school though, it's a great collection of truly average minds and people that act like whiny bratty teenagers, like you. (Check out my dad's connections! You don't think W&L will offer me more money if I play hard to get? No? Then fuck you!) No real chance at Big Law though, lol.

Wait... I guess it's okay. I won't be anywhere near Case WesTTTern by the time you matriculate.

This might be the saddest response I have ever seen on this forum. I probably will not attend either school but if you represent the average Cleveland citizen then I will go ahead and strike Case off my list. Is it fun to try to sound like a smartass over the internet? People like you have to love TLS, give you a keyboard and an avatar and you can battle your insecurities on a message board.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:09 pm

HelltotheNo wrote:

This might be the saddest response I have ever seen on this forum. I probably will not attend either school but if you represent the average Cleveland citizen then I will go ahead and strike Case off my list. Is it fun to try to sound like a smartass over the internet? People like you have to love TLS, give you a keyboard and an avatar and you can battle your insecurities on a message board.
Mission accomplished.

HelltotheNo

New

Post by HelltotheNo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:12 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:

Mission accomplished.

Well done. Flame on little guy.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:15 pm

HelltotheNo wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:Please don't go to Case. I live 10 minutes from there. After reading your other posts, I'm pretty sure I don't want you living that close to me. You'd fit in great at their law school though, it's a great collection of truly average minds and people that act like whiny bratty teenagers, like you. (Check out my dad's connections! You don't think W&L will offer me more money if I play hard to get? No? Then fuck you!) No real chance at Big Law though, lol.

I agree with the bold statement, but I gotta know: why do you feel the need to defend yourself against people like that? Do a forum search on "lawfreak" and you'll see why it is not worth trying to argue with people on here, or trying to create a smart rebuttal to their comments. You will simply trade smartass answers back and forth.

HelltotheNo

New

Post by HelltotheNo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:17 pm

Good point. I usually just came on here to read the info as it is a useful site for preparing for the first year. The W&L post he and others are referring to was a simple question (do schools ever offer more $ after you withdrawal). After I get my last acceptance I will go back to just being a spectator of TLS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:18 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I'm surprised Indiana is doing so well considering it is likely not much better than Case.

They are both in crowded legal markets (in terms of number of law schools vs number of jobs) and neither really places better than the other.

One will make you feel better because it is ranked higher, but that's the only benefit you will receive other the other.

I say wait for the other 12 schools. Also, Emory is a better investment than these two - but I'm not sure how much better in terms of money.
FWIW, I've been talking to a partner at one of the better firms in "major" city in Indiana. His thought was that if I wanted to work in IN, IU-B was about as good as it gets. Keep in mind that this is if you want to work in IN, not use it as a back up.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:40 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:

I agree with the bold statement, but I gotta know: why do you feel the need to defend yourself against people like that? Do a forum search on "lawfreak" and you'll see why it is not worth trying to argue with people on here, or trying to create a smart rebuttal to their comments. You will simply trade smartass answers back and forth.
Every time someone calls you out for being a brat, you can't just write it off as them being insecure, and there being no problem with you. I know it seems cool to do the overgeneralized psychoanalysis, but I just finished reading your W&L thread, and I regret to inform you that you're just a big brat, that's all. Sorry. Only you can solve that problem. I'm sure all your colleagues in law school will love being told about your dad and how "fucking dumb" they are though.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:49 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:

Every time someone calls you out for being a brat, you can't just write it off as them being insecure, and there being no problem with you. I know it seems cool to do the overgeneralized psychoanalysis, but I just finished reading your W&L thread, and I regret to inform you that you're just a big brat, that's all. Sorry. Only you can solve that problem. I'm sure all your colleagues in law school will love being told about your dad and how "fucking dumb" they are though.
Ummm, was this supposed to be directed at me?

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:54 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote: Ummm, was this supposed to be directed at me?
You cool. Responding to OP.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”