UC Hastings restrictions for medical marijuana patients Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

To grow, or not to grow, that is the question

Make the extra 10k a year by doing a basically legal grow!
29%
Don't even consider it, you're going to be a lawyer!
36%
I have no idea, but I feel like voting
36%

Total votes: 28

bk1

Diamond

Re: UC Hastings restrictions for medical marijuana patients

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:10 pm

HastingsLove wrote:That's what I'm saying! It would never happen. Although, Bib is right about possible delays, I think the obvious answer is eventually you will be allowed to practice 100%. I could be wrong, but have yet to find anything online proving otherwise.
3 years of one's life and 6 figures worth of loan money is a lot to gamble upon the assumption that it won't happen. My point earlier was talk to an actual fucking lawyer considering the fact that most of us on here don't really know. If you are just going to assume you'll be okay, that is mighty dumb.

You will have to disclose the usage to the bar association so it isn't like you can hide it.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:11 pm

TheTopBloke wrote: Please provide a link that is very interesting. In the State it is legal, so this person is acting lawfully, and yet they will not allow her to practice? Sounds like a great lawsuit.
You can sift through it all right there: http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/MoralCharacter.aspx

The Bar wants you to adhere to both state AND Federal laws.

And yes, as I continue to say, this is an issue that the OP might prevail on through litigation. But here comes the refrain: Would you rather:

a) smoke pot, but minimize your risks
b) litigate your way onto the bar

One of those things costs way more than the other.

I understand, HastingsLove, your desire to be an advocate for the reform of drug laws. I completely agree with your position. However, the most effective time and place for this is probably not when you're suing the Bar because you've been rejected by the C&F committee. You will be more effective, having passed the bar and become an attorney, trying to make these changes at a larger level with institutional support behind you.

One of the most dissapointing lessons I learned in law school is that sometimes it makes more sense, tactically, to go along with what you don't agree with for a little while because you'll have a better way to attack it in the future.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Even if you're intent on using it throughout school, which I obviously think may present some complications, it's probably a bad idea to grow it. Your likelihood of getting into any legal situations is a lot less, and you're already going to be spending 6 figures on school so what's another 20-30k in debt?

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:17 pm

just asked a friend who used to smoke a lot, and he was doing 28 grams per week. but he was a completely unproductive member of society at the time...

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:19 pm

bk187 wrote:
HastingsLove wrote:That's what I'm saying! It would never happen. Although, Bib is right about possible delays, I think the obvious answer is eventually you will be allowed to practice 100%. I could be wrong, but have yet to find anything online proving otherwise.
3 years of one's life and 6 figures worth of loan money is a lot to gamble upon the assumption that it won't happen. My point earlier was talk to an actual fucking lawyer considering the fact that most of us on here don't really know. If you are just going to assume you'll be okay, that is mighty dumb.

You will have to disclose the usage to the bar association so it isn't like you can hide it.
it's not a gamble. If he graduates from law school and the Bar refuses to allow him on C&F issues, that law school is in deep shit. I think my pot smoking friend here is going to turn out to be one helluva lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:21 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:
bk187 wrote:

it's not a gamble. If he graduates from law school and the Bar refuses to allow him on C&F issues, that law school is in deep shit. I think my pot smoking friend here is going to turn out to be one helluva lawyer.
You're trolling. You know the law school has nothing to do with bar admission with regard to this issue.

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:22 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote: Please provide a link that is very interesting. In the State it is legal, so this person is acting lawfully, and yet they will not allow her to practice? Sounds like a great lawsuit.
You can sift through it all right there: http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/MoralCharacter.aspx

The Bar wants you to adhere to both state AND Federal laws.

And yes, as I continue to say, this is an issue that the OP might prevail on through litigation. But here comes the refrain: Would you rather:

a) smoke pot, but minimize your risks
b) litigate your way onto the bar

One of those things costs way more than the other.

I understand, HastingsLove, your desire to be an advocate for the reform of drug laws. I completely agree with your position. However, the most effective time and place for this is probably not when you're suing the Bar because you've been rejected by the C&F committee. You will be more effective, having passed the bar and become an attorney, trying to make these changes at a larger level with institutional support behind you.

One of the most dissapointing lessons I learned in law school is that sometimes it makes more sense, tactically, to go along with what you don't agree with for a little while because you'll have a better way to attack it in the future.
You make an excellent point, but, in the end, if the OP is an advocate, then he's probably just going to have to litigate his way onto the bar.

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:24 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:
bk187 wrote:

You're trolling. You know the law school has nothing to do with bar admission with regard to this issue.
LOL They do to some extent. they have to have reasonable expectation that you will be able to pass the bar. If he goes in and the law school has knowledge of it, then they have some liability in regards to the debt incurred. And yes, they might not. But it is possible.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:26 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:You make an excellent point, but, in the end, if the OP is an advocate, then he's probably just going to have to litigate his way onto the bar.
That'll be a fun thing to do while unemployed and making loan repayments.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:28 pm

bk187 wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:You make an excellent point, but, in the end, if the OP is an advocate, then he's probably just going to have to litigate his way onto the bar.
That'll be a fun thing to do while unemployed and making loan repayments.
These things happen. Some people have the motivation.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:29 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:These things happen. Some people have the motivation.
Weed will keep them motivated.

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:29 pm

bk187 wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:These things happen. Some people have the motivation.
Weed will keep them motivated.
How do you know?

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:31 pm

Usually appellate shit takes at least a couple of years. I wouldn't want to wait that long between school and work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:32 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:How do you know?
It's how the drug works.

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:32 pm

Are there other drugs, like prescription medications, that might preclude a member of the bar from performing their duties? If I break my ankle and I'm prescribed Vicoden, do I have to take 6 weeks off? Or do I just go to work and push paper?

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:34 pm

bk187 wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:How do you know?
It's how the drug works.
What does that mean?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:35 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:What does that mean?
You're not making it fun anymore. :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:36 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:Are there other drugs, like prescription medications, that might preclude a member of the bar from performing their duties? If I break my ankle and I'm prescribed Vicoden, do I have to take 6 weeks off? Or do I just go to work and push paper?
Vicodin is either a class 3 or class 4 drug under Federal law. Pot is a class 1.

This is the difference.

I'm not making this shit up, it's the unfortunate state of the law, but it's the state of the law.

HastingsLove

New

Post by HastingsLove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:37 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:
bk187 wrote:

Thanks Bloke!

187: I agree with you about talking to a lawyer, but my friend and I are really broke (cost of prescription drugs is taking all of our lawyer money). Also, I have literally read almost everything (and I do mean everything) that relates to this matter. A lawyer is just another person with an opinion based of off what she/he has read. We are all going to be lawyers, we can reason, read, and put 2 and 2 together. So FWIW, we are actually quite qualified to have an effective conversation about this topic, collectively. If you think most lawyers will guide you perfectly, you are giving your colleagues a little too much credit. To further this point, I will concede that there is some lawyer out there that knows the truth behind all this black and white, and knows what will probably happen to someone in this boat in California, however, this person is charging a shit load.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:37 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:Are there other drugs, like prescription medications, that might preclude a member of the bar from performing their duties? If I break my ankle and I'm prescribed Vicoden, do I have to take 6 weeks off? Or do I just go to work and push paper?
I think the assumption with prescription drugs is that the patient is not abusing them, unless there is something to indicate that. If your pain was such that it was necessary to take inebriating doses of opiate pain medication, leaving you sedate, you probably couldn't be working anyway.

HastingsLove

New

Post by HastingsLove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:52 pm

Marionberry wrote:
I think the assumption with prescription drugs is that the patient is not abusing them, unless there is something to indicate that. If your pain was such that it was necessary to take inebriating doses of opiate pain medication, leaving you sedate, you probably couldn't be working anyway.
The same could be said about medical marijuana. The person doesn't have to smoke to the point of inebriation. Pot doesn't affect you in that way if you smoke it daily and in low doses, just as a prescription doesn't affect the person who takes it daily, but fucks up the guy taking it once in a while for fun. You can just take a hit, feel better, and do some legal work. Your theory is wrong.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:56 pm

HastingsLove wrote:187: I agree with you about talking to a lawyer, but my friend and I are really broke (cost of prescription drugs is taking all of our lawyer money). Also, I have literally read almost everything (and I do mean everything) that relates to this matter. A lawyer is just another person with an opinion based of off what she/he has read. We are all going to be lawyers, we can reason, read, and put 2 and 2 together. So FWIW, we are actually quite qualified to have an effective conversation about this topic, collectively. If you think most lawyers will guide you perfectly, you are giving your colleagues a little too much credit. To further this point, I will concede that there is some lawyer out there that knows the truth behind all this black and white, and knows what will probably happen to someone in this boat in California, however, this person is charging a shit load.
I don't think most lawyers will know the answer, I do however think a lawyer that specializes in C&F would know or would be able to figure it out much better than anything else available.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:58 pm

HastingsLove wrote: 187: I agree with you about talking to a lawyer, but my friend and I are really broke (cost of prescription drugs is taking all of our lawyer money). Also, I have literally read almost everything (and I do mean everything) that relates to this matter. A lawyer is just another person with an opinion based of off what she/he has read. We are all going to be lawyers, we can reason, read, and put 2 and 2 together. So FWIW, we are actually quite qualified to have an effective conversation about this topic, collectively. If you think most lawyers will guide you perfectly, you are giving your colleagues a little too much credit. To further this point, I will concede that there is some lawyer out there that knows the truth behind all this black and white, and knows what will probably happen to someone in this boat in California, however, this person is charging a shit load.
OP, let me say that if you do actually suffer from chronic pain, my heart goes out to you. I have seen how difficult that can be for people, and I truly hope you find an effective means of managing your pain without interfering with your life. However, if cannabis is really the only thing that works to treat your pain without unbearable side effects, please do your homework before committing to law school. None of us on here, to my knowledge, are attorneys and you should really consult one if you choose to go this route. Also, while I know many people are able to function well on cannabis, if it really presents an obstacle in your law school performance, and will prevent you from making good grades (as I'm sure opiates or the pain itself could, too), take that into consideration before spending big bucks on school. Law school debt is a serious issue, and many who don't make the grades necessary end up with no way to pay off that debt.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:00 pm

HastingsLove wrote: Your theory is wrong.
And what theory is that? If you can consume 2-3 grams of cannabis a day and not experience any side effects then terrific, but like with any medication when taking high dosages most people will experience side effects. The likely side effects of this much cannabis include impaired cognitive functioning, for most people.

HastingsLove

New

Post by HastingsLove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:12 pm

Marionberry wrote:
HastingsLove wrote: Your theory is wrong.
And what theory is that? If you can consume 2-3 grams of cannabis a day and not experience any side effects then terrific, but like with any medication when taking high dosages most people will experience side effects. The likely side effects of this much cannabis include impaired cognitive functioning, for most people.
I'm not saying she is going to use 2-3 grams before class. I'm also not saying she would even use 2-3 grams per day. That figure was a break down from the 10,000 a year it will save, and how much 10,000 a year gets you, approximately. Her actual consumption is different because you waste a lot when cooking with it, and most of the time, she would only get high at night, after completing that day’s work. She will not have "impaired cognitive functioning" while doing legal work, but after she has finished. Also, most habitual smokers are not “impaired” the following day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”