Mercer Law vs. Alabama, UF, UNC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Mecer Law with no debt vs. OOS tuitions

Mercer (no debt)
56%
Alabama (waiting to hear)
14%
UF (in)
11%
UNC (waiting to hear)
19%

Total votes: 36

ga345

Mercer Law vs. Alabama, UF, UNC

Postby ga345 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:27 pm

Background/ambitions:

I was born and raised in Macon, where Mercer is located and want to practice in the state of Georgia. I would ideally like to work for a bigger firm in Atlanta, but that is not a must.

I left out UGA in this poll because I am still waiting to hear from them and that is were I will be next fall if I get in. I have also applied to Emory, but I don't really have a strong desire to attend. I was also accepted to Georgia State, but do no think I can handle the campus and I have already spent my undergrad years in Atlanta.

For the OOS schools money is not a major issue, but I would still like to get the best bang for my buck.

Thank you for your help.

011bell

Re: Mercer Law vs. Alabama, UF, UNC

Postby 011bell » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:02 pm

I am wondering about this as well.

Are you totally opposed to Georgia State?

ga345

Postby ga345 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:42 pm

I am pretty sure that GA State is out of the picture. The environment is not something I can see myself enjoying for the next 3 years and I feel like enjoying my surroundings will play a major role in me doing well in school. My only major concern for choosing Mercer is that it is not ranked. On the flip side I have heard very good things about Mercer's program (particularly with legal writing) and I know a number of recent graduates that will be starting jobs with some of the bigger firms here in Atlanta. It is really about me having decide if I should spend the extra cash to go to Alabama, UF, or UNC when I know that I want to practice in GA.

Any advice or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:46 pm

Why don't you just wait until you hear from the other schools, then evaluate?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:47 pm

OP I agree with your assessments. I don't understand how anyone would desire to attend GSU beyond low tuition. Georgia is by far your best option if you are admitted. UNC has a very low admit rate and is a well respected law school. Alabama is an excellent law school, but overshadowed by Georgia, Vanderbilt, Duke & Virginia in Atlanta. Florida places well in Florida and is a great option if you are willing to relocate.

ga345

Postby ga345 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:22 am

rad law wrote:Why don't you just wait until you hear from the other schools, then evaluate?

Honestly, because I am getting impatient with waiting and I want to go ahead and get opinions. Regardless of where I am accepted (out of those three OOS schools) I am curious if it would be worth it to spend full OOS tuition on a ranked school vs. spending no money at Mercer when my ultimate goal is to practice in Georgia.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:42 pm

ga345 wrote:
rad law wrote:Why don't you just wait until you hear from the other schools, then evaluate?

Honestly, because I am getting impatient with waiting and I want to go ahead and get opinions. Regardless of where I am accepted (out of those three OOS schools) I am curious if it would be worth it to spend full OOS tuition on a ranked school vs. spending no money at Mercer when my ultimate goal is to practice in Georgia.

There are so many possible permutations of this that it's better to wait, see where you get money, see where you get in, then solicit opinions.

Rooney

Postby Rooney » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:19 am

ga345 wrote:

I hear you. I applied to Ga State the day after Thanksgiving. I haven't heard anything back; been In Review since 1/27.
This is the last school to let me know. Frustrating...

kid charlemagne

Postby kid charlemagne » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:34 am

Honestly, I would choose UGA, Emory, Florida, Alabama, and North Carolina all over Mercer. I would choose Georgia State too, but you already stated that you have no desire to go there. You can go to all of those schools and do just fine in the Georgia area.

mez06

Postby mez06 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:54 pm

Go to GSU. Seriously, its in downtown Atl. How could you not enjoy the environment? If anything, its incredibly easy to escape it. If you don't get into UGA then GSU is your best bet for GA work.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:59 pm

Mercer is solid if you want to stay in Macon. I'm not sure about Atlanta. Wait for UGA and then come back.

creader

Postby creader » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:02 pm

Alabama places well in the Atlanta area as well. It also gives really good money to Georgia residents. Could be a good option.

sstufken

Postby sstufken » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:06 pm

ga345 wrote:I am pretty sure that GA State is out of the picture. The environment is not something I can see myself enjoying for the next 3 years and I feel like enjoying my surroundings will play a major role in me doing well in school. My only major concern for choosing Mercer is that it is not ranked. On the flip side I have heard very good things about Mercer's program (particularly with legal writing) and I know a number of recent graduates that will be starting jobs with some of the bigger firms here in Atlanta. It is really about me having decide if I should spend the extra cash to go to Alabama, UF, or UNC when I know that I want to practice in GA.

Any advice or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

I am in pretty much the same situation as you- I have a full ride to Mercer for all 3 yrs, in at SC & GA State (but I hate Atlanta/the GSU campus), WL at W&L and Wake (second choice), and still waiting to hear back from UGA (first choice) and Maryland.

Are you going to Mercer's scholarship recipient reception on the 25th?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:12 am

creader wrote:Alabama places well in the Atlanta area as well. It also gives really good money to Georgia residents. Could be a good option.

Back when the economy was good yeah, now, not so much. You're gonna look pretty silly when people ask you "Why didn't you go to UGA," especially if you are from GA.

creader

Postby creader » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:36 pm

Its a pretty logical response when you say "Alabama gave me full tuition, UGA wanted me to pay sticker."

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:14 am

creader wrote:Its a pretty logical response when you say "Alabama gave me full tuition, UGA wanted me to pay sticker."

Not gonna save you. Even if they did buy that, old attys still think sticker is like $8k. And this bro has in-state.

Why are we even talking about this? If OP can get in to UGA he can probably get into Bama, and vice versa.

howell

Postby howell » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:30 pm

Did I miss mention of a scholarship at Mercer? If not, would OP seriously pay $75k more and give up 40+ spots in the rankings to live in Macon, GA instead of Atlanta for 3 years?

Wait for UGA is TCR, but 2nd place is GSU unless there is a trust fund that has to be blown on education.

ga345

Postby ga345 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Yes, I have a scholarship. I would give up living in Atlanta because I have no desire to attend a school in an environment like the one Ga State has. I would also like to go to a school with a more traditional student body make up.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”