IUB (120k) vs. University of Arizona(instate - 48k)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sab0tage

IUB (120k) vs. University of Arizona(instate - 48k)?

Postby sab0tage » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:54 am

The above are my two top choices and likely will remain so. Still waiting on apps from ASU, UMN and Wisconsin.

Numbers – 3.22, 166

Some considerations…
I think the pretty clear choice here based solely off of the rankings would be IUB. I had never really given much thought to living in Indiana but see no reason why I wouldn't enjoy it. U of Arizona was my top choice from the beginning but IUB suprised the hell out of me with this offer. Tucson is my hometown, I have not lived there for a few years but I would seriously enjoy moving back. I work as a process server in Phoenix currently and might be able to use some of attorneys I currently serve papers for into potential contacts for future job ops. In terms of tuition I would be paying more to attend U of A(about 4k more a year I think) than a higher ranked school in IUB.

Is there anything else I should consider? I was thinking Arizona might be a less saturated/competitive market than some of the Midwest cities IUB typically places in. Am I correct in supposing this? What is the best means of determining how grads are doing? I read a lot of references to OCI numbers. Are these published by any kind of central institution or are available from individual schools websites.

Also, do you think I would get anywhere trying to leverage IUB’s scholly with Arizona?

Any feedback/discussion would be appreciated.

nshapkar

Re: IUB (120k) vs. University of Arizona(instate - 48k)?

Postby nshapkar » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:56 am

sab0tage wrote:The above are my two top choices and likely will remain so. Still waiting on apps from ASU, UMN and Wisconsin.

Numbers – 3.22, 166

Some considerations…
I think the pretty clear choice here based solely off of the rankings would be IUB. I had never really given much thought to living in Indiana but see no reason why I wouldn't enjoy it. U of Arizona was my top choice from the beginning but IUB suprised the hell out of me with this offer. Tucson is my hometown, I have not lived there for a few years but I would seriously enjoy moving back. I work as a process server in Phoenix currently and might be able to use some of attorneys I currently serve papers for into potential contacts for future job ops. In terms of tuition I would be paying more to attend U of A(about 4k more a year I think) than a higher ranked school in IUB.

Is there anything else I should consider? I was thinking Arizona might be a less saturated/competitive market than some of the Midwest cities IUB typically places in. Am I correct in supposing this? What is the best means of determining how grads are doing? I read a lot of references to OCI numbers. Are these published by any kind of central institution or are available from individual schools websites.

Also, do you think I would get anywhere trying to leverage IUB’s scholly with Arizona?

Any feedback/discussion would be appreciated.

Dude, you're a sun devil and you want to go to UA, fuck that shit. IUB all the way.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:57 am

btw, I'm kidding.

...I really have no idea what you should do. Personally I'd go with less debt coming out of law school, but that's just me.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:11 am

If you want to stay in AZ you can't go to UIB. You need to leverage UI-B's scholly to get UA to give you more money (did you apply to ASU?), then go to UA.

sab0tage

Postby sab0tage » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:16 am

BarbellDreams wrote:If you want to stay in AZ you can't go to UIB. You need to leverage UI-B's scholly to get UA to give you more money (did you apply to ASU?), then go to UA.

I did apply to ASU, missed the EA dead line by a couple weeks. ASU's RD come in really late.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:23 pm

RVP may correct me, but I think you need to be about Top 10% of your class to get the best Phoenix jobs from Arizona Law. That being said, if you want to be in Arizona after school, it's definitely worth it to pay only $4k more per year and stay in the state.

sab0tage

Postby sab0tage » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:44 pm

showNprove wrote:RVP may correct me, but I think you need to be about Top 10% of your class to get the best Phoenix jobs from Arizona Law. That being said, if you want to be in Arizona after school, it's definitely worth it to pay only $4k more per year and stay in the state.

Is this relative to arizona state? I heard their placement in phoenix is about the same.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:51 pm

sab0tage wrote:
showNprove wrote:RVP may correct me, but I think you need to be about Top 10% of your class to get the best Phoenix jobs from Arizona Law. That being said, if you want to be in Arizona after school, it's definitely worth it to pay only $4k more per year and stay in the state.

Is this relative to arizona state? I heard their placement in phoenix is about the same.

I hear that placement from UA and ASU are about the same also. I do think that ASU has the advantage of actually being in Phoenix, and a lot of ASU students do externships during the year. An opportunity that is much less accessible to UofA students.

boat343

Postby boat343 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:09 am

Go to the UofA.

It is true that UofA does have to compete with ASU for the best Phoenix jobs (which they do, and always have done, a fine job at). However, UofA>ASU in overall school reputation. ASU really hurts itself every time it manages some national attention--UofA sends stuff to Mars. Therefore, out of state prospects probably look pretty decent for UofA around the Southwest. UofA is probably the best law school in like a 500 mile radius. My friends all graduated last year from the UofA. I heard one girl got a real decent job in Vegas. I have two other friends that got firm jobs in California--Riverside and Orange County. And, no matter what people will tell you about San Diego, UofA has a HUGE alumi base there, and if you're a top 10%, you can get in there. If you wanted a New Mexico job, it would probably be safe to say you could work there too.

I have no real insight on the Midwest, or IUB specifically. But, doesn't it seem like it would be pretty tough to compete for jobs in that market? I mean, there are seven schools ranked ahead of them in that region, and a few behind them are pretty big names and probably place well in their markets.

And you really can't beat the weather in Az, as long as you can escape for the summer. Midwest winters... no way!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:17 am

Arizona is the safer choice based on the info. shared in your posts.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”