From CA to NJ (MO, TN, VA, SC included)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Is any one of these better than others (with employment prospects in mind)?

Santa Clara (SCU)
11%
St. Louis (SLU)
No votes
Tennessee - Knoxville (UTK)
44%
South Carolina (USC)
11%
Richmond (UR)
33%
Rutgers-Newark
No votes

Total votes: 9

LSAT Taker

From CA to NJ (MO, TN, VA, SC included)

Postby LSAT Taker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:28 pm

I know this is too broad a question, but am just curious to assess general reputations based on your reaction when a dearth of background information is provided.

jcunni5

Re: From CA to NJ (MO, TN, VA, SC included)

Postby jcunni5 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:44 pm

I just put TN b/c it is a strong state school that pretty much owns the market since so many Vandy grads leave. I would stay away from U Richmond theres too many better schools in VA (UVA, W&M, W&L, GMU). SLU might not be horrible if you like STL b/c I heard they don't really think WUSTL kids ever want to stay in the city. Don't go to Santa Clara unless you have some IP back ground maybe the Nor Cal market might be the most competitive besides DC. S. Carolina might not be bad since it is the top law school in the state, but i didn't think the market was as big as TN. Rutgers I don't know much about to be honest but I thought NYC is just too saturated with law grads although I guess theres more jobs in NYC too and theres Philly. Here's my top 3

1) TN
1) Rutgers
3) SC

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:47 pm

Where do you have ties?

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:28 am

jcunni5 wrote:I just put TN b/c it is a strong state school that pretty much owns the market since so many Vandy grads leave. I would stay away from U Richmond theres too many better schools in VA (UVA, W&M, W&L, GMU). SLU might not be horrible if you like STL b/c I heard they don't really think WUSTL kids ever want to stay in the city. Don't go to Santa Clara unless you have some IP back ground maybe the Nor Cal market might be the most competitive besides DC. S. Carolina might not be bad since it is the top law school in the state, but i didn't think the market was as big as TN. Rutgers I don't know much about to be honest but I thought NYC is just too saturated with law grads although I guess theres more jobs in NYC too and theres Philly. Here's my top 3

1) TN
1) Rutgers
3) SC

Thank you, jcunni5, for your insightful overview. Your concise yet clear descriptions of the situations in which those schools are reveal a profound understanding of the market apparently based on assiduous research. This is a huge help to me.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:33 am

rad law wrote:Where do you have ties?

Believe it or not, I have no ties to any of those areas except that I have a place to live in approximately 100 miles away from U of South Carolina. It is going to be a fresh start to me no matter where I end up. That's right, it's not an ideal situation, but that's what I'm dealing with.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”