Scholarship Negotiation for UCLA - wait for Vandy? or go now

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TheThreader
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Scholarship Negotiation for UCLA - wait for Vandy? or go now

Postby TheThreader » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:39 pm

So, Vandy's scholarship decisions will not be mailed until late next week.

I am sitting on an acceptance to Duke, and I have been awarded

135k to washu
28,500 to UT - plus in state tuition

Should I wait for Vandy and USC's offers before talking to UCLA, or should I email them now (how exactly do I start this process)
Last edited by TheThreader on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation for UCLA - wait for Vandy? or go now

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:51 pm

Wait, because if you throw all of your offers at Vanderbilt prior to receiving Vandy's scholarship offer, they may asssume that you are an acceptee that they can't afford. For example, if Vanderbilt knew that you had acceptances from Stanford & Harvard, they might reject or waitlist you. The same reasoning can be applied to negotiations.

TheThreader
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation for UCLA - wait for Vandy? or go now

Postby TheThreader » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:05 pm

I am sorry for the misunderstanding, and I edited my post. I am asking about when to start UCLA's negotiation and how to start it.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation for UCLA - wait for Vandy? or go now

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:16 pm

Have you been accepted to UCLA ? If so, have you received a scholarship offer ?

TheThreader
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation for UCLA - wait for Vandy? or go now

Postby TheThreader » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:20 pm

i have been accepted. no scholarship offer, which is why I am curious about negotiation.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation for UCLA - wait for Vandy? or go now

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:31 pm

Then my first response is the best advice that I can offer.

P.S. Which means that you should wait until UCLA extends a scholarship offer prior to trying to negotiate.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation for UCLA - wait for Vandy? or go now

Postby jenesaislaw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:48 pm

I would email them now and tell them what you have, and that you've been told that your scholarship from Vandy is coming later this week. Be sure to emphasize that UCLA is where you want to go, but that the money from the other schools makes it difficult to do so without any money from them.

User avatar
leopardRAWR
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation for UCLA - wait for Vandy? or go now

Postby leopardRAWR » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:00 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:I would email them now and tell them what you have, and that you've been told that your scholarship from Vandy is coming later this week. Be sure to emphasize that UCLA is where you want to go, but that the money from the other schools makes it difficult to do so without any money from them.


You don't think the OP should wait for a USC offer?

I am in the same situation as the OP and I thought it would be smart to wait and see if I get a strong offer from USC to bring to the table. I'd gathered UCLA won't always match USC, but they are more likely to do so for those at/around 75ths, and I figured having another offer across town might make UCLA more likely to give some money than a just few offers/good acceptances in other parts of the county. Is this wrong?

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation for UCLA - wait for Vandy? or go now

Postby jenesaislaw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:44 pm

My concern would be when the money is going to dry up. You can always go back and ask for more.

TheThreader
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation for UCLA - wait for Vandy? or go now

Postby TheThreader » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:32 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:My concern would be when the money is going to dry up. You can always go back and ask for more.


so should i email tomorrow?

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation for UCLA - wait for Vandy? or go now

Postby Perch » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:57 am

jenesaislaw wrote:My concern would be when the money is going to dry up. You can always go back and ask for more.


is this accurate/acceptable?

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiation for UCLA - wait for Vandy? or go now

Postby jenesaislaw » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:39 pm

Worst case they say no. The person I negotiated with at Vandy barely knows who I am today, let alone cares that I went back for more money.

For Texas, I provided them some documentation of my Vandy scholarship. They then gave me money. And then they said, if I hear back from Cornell, that I should tell them. I then used my new Texas money to get money from Cornell, and went back to Texas with it. It wasn't enough for them to raise it (Cornell had matched the Texas scholarship).




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests