McGill or US TT Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Assuming debt is equal

McGill
66%
Temple
9%
Pitt
3%
Cardozo
3%
UCONN
3%
FML
17%

Total votes: 35

aidez-moi

Bronze

McGill or US TT

Post by aidez-moi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:41 pm

I'm not a fan of these threads, but I unfortunately don't have enough information to make a decision. I hope you guys can help me out. (I knew my damn username would come in handy. <- I don't think I've ever used that phrase before. And I don't think I'll ever use it again.)

Info: I'm an American. The reason I'm considering McGill is because of the program (combined B.C.L./LL.B) and the flavor of the students (predominately international). That being said I have no ties to Canada and am not sure if it would result in employment here in the US. (But with the other options I'm looking at, employment isn't great either.) Scholarship offers were not that great anywhere (McGill would probably be the cheapest, followed by Temple and Pitt) but debt is not that big of a problem. As far as where do I want to practice, I'm not picky.

Would it be better to attend McGill as an American with no ties to Canada, or attend one of these TT's ITE? (I recognize that none of these options are great, but any info would be awesome.)

AboveTheLawSchool

Bronze

Re: McGill or US TT

Post by AboveTheLawSchool » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:47 pm

Are you okay with practicing law in Canada and living there after graduation?

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:03 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:Are you okay with practicing law in Canada and living there after graduation?
If it came down to it, yeah. I'd rather have a job in Canada than have no job in the US. I'm just not sure how likely it is for a Canadian firm to hire a non-citizen (even if I were headed down the citizenship path).

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Are you fluent in French? If not, McGill would be a truly terrible idea.
If you are okay practicing in Canada and speak French, I would choose McGill, but it sounds like a plan B for you, and it would suck to end up with your only chance of employment being in a country you don't really want to be in.

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:36 pm

2014 wrote:Are you fluent in French? If not, McGill would be a truly terrible idea.
If you are okay practicing in Canada and speak French, I would choose McGill, but it sounds like a plan B for you, and it would suck to end up with your only chance of employment being in a country you don't really want to be in.
Yes fluent in French. I agree not being fluent = disaster at McGill (especially being in Montreal QC).

Would employment prospects coming out of McGill be any better than those coming out of any other others on the list? I have a feeling the answer is yes, but I'm not certain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:43 pm

McGill is clearly the best choice among your options. Otherwise Pitt or Temple assuming that you are in-state & willing to work in Pittsburgh or Philadelphia areas.

tarp

Bronze

Post by tarp » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:55 am

Absolutely McGill. The opportunity to study law at McGill is fantastic. Do keep in mind that the only U.S. States that will allow you to take the bar will be NY or CA. McGill has very low tuition and Montreal is a fantastic city.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:01 am

New York & California and, maybe, Massachusetts, & possibly Vermont. If California or New York offers reciprocity with other reciprocal state bars, then bar membership eligibility increases dramatically. Also Wash.D.C. may allow admission by motion if a member in good standing of any state bar--although this may have changed so you need to verify.

tarp

Bronze

Post by tarp » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:13 am

At least some states require that you have graduated from an ABA accredited law school in order to receive reciprocity. Merely being a member of the CA or NY bar in good standing for several years doesn't cut it. Check the specific state to see the rules, but I know that Virginia is like this. Of course if someone from the states decides to attend McGill and is able to subsequently adjust their student visa to a permanent residence visa and find work in Canada, why would they want to return to the U.S.? If the pre-existing intention is to return to the U.S. for sure, then they would be better suited by going to a U.S. school anyway. I do agree that other states should allow Canadian graduates to take the bar, or at least implement something similar to the NCA to evaluate their credentials, rather than forcing them to take an LL.M.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Chouchous

Bronze

Post by Chouchous » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:18 am

McGill all the way!! This is the credited response.
Once you graduate from a 3 year program in Canada you can easily obtain a 3 year work permit for Canada, which after the three years are up transitions into a permanent residence pretty smoothly.
Also, McGill has a lot of on campus recruiting from NYC big law, as well as Bay Street.
Not to mention that McGill is easily the best and most reputable Canadian university.

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:24 am

tarp wrote:Of course if someone from the states decides to attend McGill and is able to subsequently adjust their student visa to a permanent residence visa and find work in Canada, why would they want to return to the U.S.?
lol you commie

ballpop

Bronze

Post by ballpop » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:49 am

McGill has a spectacular program and is LITERALLY the Yale of Canada in Law...all about Canadian Supreme Court, they go to the Hague to try cases etc.

And it is cheap (I should know went there for UG---rent in a hood in the Plateau with a bike and the Metro/cabs are enough, you can pay 500 a month w/ two roommates).

If you can handle cold and Canada, McGill all the way---et vous devez aussi apprendre le français...

mcgillgrad10

New

Post by mcgillgrad10 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:08 am

I went to McGill for UG and would have definitely considered for law school if I was fluent in French. I'd definitely go, Montreal is amazing and the law library is SO NICE

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RebelRebel

New

Post by RebelRebel » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:21 am

As a Canadian citizen, I would jump on the opportunity so fast that it wouldn't even see me coming.

Having said that (curb), it all depends on your desired career path. When the legal market was hot, McGill grads highly sought after in New York and MA to a lesser degree. Other than the tuition that is I believe 16k for international students - ridiculously cheap by US standards, McGill is also one of the top 20 universities in the world. The brand equity is international and I can not foresee you having problems with name recognition in major US markets.

Of course I don't know how easy or hard it is to get bar admission in other states. Unfortunately I don't have any solid advice other than GO TO MCGILL - do I reek of jealously? The roles are reversed in my case only that rather then being able to choose the equivalent of a US t-14 vs a Canadian T2, I must choose a US T2 or a Canadian, well... nothing.

;)

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:37 pm

Good grief! Why even ask this question?

You do realize how bad the situation is in the U.S. for even top schools? And you didn't get into a top school. You're looking at temporary document review versus a bright future in a fun city (Montreal) and a strong chance at getting so-called "international law."

McGill is the top-ranked public school in North America and one of the best law schools in the world. I would love to be in your situation, but not enough French.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can get a 3-year work permit after graduating from a Canadian university, leading eventually to citizenship, and Canada is one of the most immigrant-friendly countries in the world. I don't see why employers wouldn't hire you if you had the qualifications. They wouldn't have to sponsor you like in other countries. International students graduate McGill all the time and stay in Canada to work. I'd talk to the Career Services office at McGill for more details.

I'd love to be in your situation.

Since you applied to law schools all over the map, it doesn't seem like you're fixed on working in a certain area. So you might as well live in Montreal.

RebelRebel

New

Post by RebelRebel » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:13 pm

To niederbomb

With you LSAT why don't you apply to the University of Toronto or Osgoode Hall? Both place(d) well in NYC and Toronto is also one of the top in the world and no French necessary.

ballpop

Bronze

Post by ballpop » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:17 pm

RebelRebel wrote:To niederbomb

With you LSAT why don't you apply to the University of Toronto or Osgoode Hall? Both place(d) well in NYC and Toronto is also one of the top in the world and no French necessary.
UofT has 168/3.85 medians...not sure what the OP has but this is pretty high. Also CoL is DRASTICALLY higher in TO than MTL. Also, in "prestige" positions McGill wins out clearly

Think McGill=Yale
UofT=Columbia

(NOT as in one is better, but as in their focus academically and placement wise)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks for all the input guys.

I really was always hoping for McGill, but never thought I had a chance of actually being accepted. I just wanted to make sure that, being an American, it wasn't dumb for me to go to school in Canada. All the honest advice is greatly appreciated!

RebelRebel

New

Post by RebelRebel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:51 am

And your screen name being French for Help Me! also hinted at that.

McGill will open the most doors, the cost of living in Montreal is lower than any US major metropolitan area and tuition for int'l students is a measly 16k/year I believe. For about $600/month you can rent a studio apartment and if you choose roommates, it's even less.

Take it from me, it's an awesome city, winters can be harsh, but you won't regret it! As a Canadian facing the prospect of overpaying for TTs and facing an uncertain economy, uncertain law job prospects and crippling debt, I wonder if this is all an exercise in vanity for me: 150k in debt so that I can add the letters J.D. to my name.

For you, it's the best financial decision you can make!

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:05 pm

RebelRebel wrote:And your screen name being French for Help Me! also hinted at that.

McGill will open the most doors, the cost of living in Montreal is lower than any US major metropolitan area and tuition for int'l students is a measly 16k/year I believe. For about $600/month you can rent a studio apartment and if you choose roommates, it's even less.

Take it from me, it's an awesome city, winters can be harsh, but you won't regret it! As a Canadian facing the prospect of overpaying for TTs and facing an uncertain economy, uncertain law job prospects and crippling debt, I wonder if this is all an exercise in vanity for me: 150k in debt so that I can add the letters J.D. to my name.

For you, it's the best financial decision you can make!
Jesus, the winters scare the shit out of me...but I guess I'll make do.

Thanks again for the info RebelRebel, and best of luck with your continuing law school search!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”