UVA or Penn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA or Penn

UVA
55%
Penn
45%

Total votes: 105

R.R. Raskolnikov

Re: UVA or Penn

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:23 pm

showNprove wrote:
Whatsawahooanyway wrote:How exactly does softball work at UVA? Is it pickup? Leagues? Slow-pitch? Ball size/gloves or not? Do we form an allstar team eventually to annihilate other law schools in the big softball tourney?

Just wondering.

1. There are 1L section teams, student org. teams, and self-made teams.
2. No, the games are scheduled by NGSL once all teams are registered.
3. Yes, Men's and Co-Rec.
4. Yes.
5. Regulation softball and we use gloves.
6. Yes, it's a tournament in the spring.

Can you confirm annihilation of other law schools' softball teams? This could be a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:27 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
showNprove wrote:
Whatsawahooanyway wrote:How exactly does softball work at UVA? Is it pickup? Leagues? Slow-pitch? Ball size/gloves or not? Do we form an allstar team eventually to annihilate other law schools in the big softball tourney?

Just wondering.

1. There are 1L section teams, student org. teams, and self-made teams.
2. No, the games are scheduled by NGSL once all teams are registered.
3. Yes, Men's and Co-Rec.
4. Yes.
5. Regulation softball and we use gloves.
6. Yes, it's a tournament in the spring.

Can you confirm annihilation of other law schools' softball teams? This could be a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

Yes, we usually win. We did last year.

Whatsawahooanyway

Postby Whatsawahooanyway » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Thank you.

I will promptly begin a steroids regimen. They don't drug test do they?

Ok... off topic.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:00 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:@beachbum I did apply to Duke and have yet to hear.

@Veyron Thanks for the answer. I grew up in the south and have taken to wearing boat shoes and khakis haha...not to mention I am a black conservative...I doubt there is a perfect fit for that description, but I really do not foresee fitting in socially being a problem for me at either place. How would you describe access to professors outside the classroom at UPenn? I do appreciate the tradition of taking professors out to lunch. If you would rather pm please feel free to do so.

I have few complaints about the access, just spent an hour today 1 on 1 with my former contracts professor going over my Ks exam and getting pointers about how to take issue spotters. Small schools have their advantages.

I attend an undergrad with a little over 1,000 students so I do appreciate small class sizes. I know that W&L is ideally the type of school I would like to attend, but the ranking is simply not there...on the other hand Penn does have the ranking

FWIW, UVA has an open door policy - if a prof is in their office, they [usually] keep their door open. All my profs have been happy to talk whenever I stop by regardless of whether or not it's a designated office hours time.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:15 pm

To those saying that DC firms won't go deeper into UVA's class than they will Penn's, that's probably (almost certainly) true. But I still believe you have a relative advantage to Penn people because we have so many networking events available to us in/for D.C. The location just makes it easier. And I'm not sure but I think OP maybe URM/Black? If so it should be UVA no question. BLSA is constantly having networking events with the D.C firms--we have on on Monday just for us where we will get talk to AA attorneys at Cov DC, Wilmerhale DC, and Crowell D.C. Those are some very selective firms and you want to take advantage of any opportunity you get to network with people there (Imagine going into fall OGI and your interviewer being someone you had a mock interview with before and who you've chatted with at several networking events--that could make all the difference in the world in getting a callback). We also have our own mock interview program with these firms, and Covington is one of BLSA's partners. I'll tell you this, if you can break the 3.3 mean (which is by no means easy/ a given) as a URM at UVA you will get DC if you take advantage of the networking events and learn how to interview. Trust me about the locale thing; it's just easier when you are only 2 hours away from your desired career location.

Not to sidetrack the thread but I personally believe that Penn does have a noticeable leg up on UVA in NYC (and not just in terms of networking--I'm talking about how far into the class NYC firms will go at Penn). For those UVA people in the thread who did OGI last year what was your experience/what did you hear about NYC firms--particularly the one's with big classes like Skadden? I just found out that before the crash Skadden NY had class sizes of over 100 people :shock: That's unreal.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:49 pm

People at UVA who bid heavily on NYC generally had good success.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:55 pm

vamedic03 wrote:People at UVA who bid heavily on NYC generally had good success.

Thanks. What did you hear about those who bid on the South who were from the South? And do you think Penn has a legup on us in terms of depth firms are willing to go in hiring?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:39 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:People at UVA who bid heavily on NYC generally had good success.

Thanks. What did you hear about those who bid on the South who were from the South? And do you think Penn has a legup on us in terms of depth firms are willing to go in hiring?

In terms of depth, I've spoken to multiple people involved with V100 NYC hiring and many firms don't even take your grades into account unless you are at the bottom or top of the class (I immagine that they WOULD probably take grades into account in a pre-screaning at UVA tho). Theis seems to bear itself out in the above-median people who strike out and the below median people who get biglaw. That being said, bottom 1/3 is the death zone.
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:13 am

BruceWayne wrote:To those saying that DC firms won't go deeper into UVA's class than they will Penn's, that's probably (almost certainly) true. But I still believe you have a relative advantage to Penn people because we have so many networking events available to us in/for D.C. The location just makes it easier. And I'm not sure but I think OP maybe URM/Black? If so it should be UVA no question. BLSA is constantly having networking events with the D.C firms--we have on on Monday just for us where we will get talk to AA attorneys at Cov DC, Wilmerhale DC, and Crowell D.C. Those are some very selective firms and you want to take advantage of any opportunity you get to network with people there (Imagine going into fall OGI and your interviewer being someone you had a mock interview with before and who you've chatted with at several networking events--that could make all the difference in the world in getting a callback). We also have our own mock interview program with these firms, and Covington is one of BLSA's partners. I'll tell you this, if you can break the 3.3 mean (which is by no means easy/ a given) as a URM at UVA you will get DC if you take advantage of the networking events and learn how to interview. Trust me about the locale thing; it's just easier when you are only 2 hours away from your desired career location.

Not to sidetrack the thread but I personally believe that Penn does have a noticeable leg up on UVA in NYC (and not just in terms of networking--I'm talking about how far into the class NYC firms will go at Penn). For those UVA people in the thread who did OGI last year what was your experience/what did you hear about NYC firms--particularly the one's with big classes like Skadden? I just found out that before the crash Skadden NY had class sizes of over 100 people :shock: That's unreal.

Thanks for the post. Good stuff. I am by no means unaware of the fact that UVA is a powerhouse in biglaw, especially D.C. And I am black btw

Return to “Choosing a Law School”