UVA or Penn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA or Penn

UVA
55%
Penn
45%

Total votes: 105

ksimon2007

UVA or Penn

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:43 am

I am actually pretty perplexed about what to do in regards to Penn and UVA.

I have a friend who is a 1L at UVA and the plan is to live with that person next year if I attend. On the other hand, Penn is in Philly and well it is an ivy league law school haha. I have not received any merit offer from UVA and Penn has yet to get back to me.

Let's say I pay sticker or close to sticker at both. I would like to do biglaw in D.C. Penn or UVA?

I am leaning toward UVA because of career interests and the comfortability factor. I will be able to visit UVA ASW in March, but not Penn. I may try to stop by Penn for a day during my Spring Break.

BeachandRun23

Re: UVA or Penn

Postby BeachandRun23 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:44 am

ksimon2007 wrote:I am actually pretty perplexed about what to do in regards to Penn and UVA.

I have a friend who is a 1L at UVA and the plan is to live with that person next year if I attend. On the other hand, Penn is in Philly and well it is an ivy league law school haha. I have not received any merit offer from UVA and Penn has yet to get back to me.

Let's say I pay sticker or close to sticker at both. I would like to do biglaw in D.C. Penn or UVA?

I am leaning toward UVA because of career interests and the comfortability factor. I will be able to visit UVA ASW in March, but not Penn. I may try to stop by Peen for a day during my Spring Break.

If you want to work in DC, id choose UVA. But of course visit and choose the school you're most comfortable at.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:23 am

BeachandRun23 wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:I am actually pretty perplexed about what to do in regards to Penn and UVA.

I am leaning toward UVA because of career interests and the comfortability factor. I will be able to visit UVA ASW in March, but not Penn. I may try to stop by Peen for a day during my Spring Break.

If you want to work in DC, id choose UVA. But of course visit and choose the school you're most comfortable at.

That's what I figured. I will be on the phone in a few days with an alum who is doing exactly what I would like to do in a few years to discuss the choice from a career perspective.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:40 am

Any other thoughts? I don't want to leave this thing at 7-6 with one post haha...TLS is supposed to make my life easier!

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:51 am

Isn't UVA sticker less expensive than Penn sticker? How about taking a look at each school's student culture on the 1L/2L forums. You sound like a city slicker though but from what I hear, UVA places better in DC. I personally think this is a win/win w/a slight lean towards UVA (I may be biased) just because of a marginal savings in CoA.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:51 am

Have you thought about the size of the minority population at both schools?

I think diversity hiring may give you enough of a boost from either school that DC should be within reach (especially if you are above median), but that is just cobbling together random information I have heard.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:58 am

I picked UVA, but I am not necessarily an unbiased responder. However, that being said, UVA seems to do pretty well in DC. You'll have a ready made answer at OCI in that you attended UVA because of proximity to DC blah blah.

Baring Penn coming through with some $$$, go with your heart and I think it is at UVA

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:00 am

bdubs wrote:Have you thought about the size of the minority population at both schools?

I think diversity hiring may give you enough of a boost from either school that DC should be within reach (especially if you are above median), but that is just cobbling together random information I have heard.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=126031&p=4063194#p4063194

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Malcolm8X wrote:Isn't UVA sticker less expensive than Penn sticker? How about taking a look at each school's student culture on the 1L/2L forums. You sound like a city slicker though but from what I hear, UVA places better in DC. I personally think this is a win/win w/a slight lean towards UVA (I may be biased) just because of a marginal savings in CoA.

UVA is marginally cheaper for an out of stater. 67,500 as opposed to Penn being about 68,500. Should be able to get in state for years 2 and 3. I grew up in Houston so I do like the city life, but I am not disenchanted with being in a small town. Charlottesville is a great place from everything I hear.

In regards to the whole proximity thing I wonder if that matters for D.C. because it is such a sought after place. The same argument could be made for picking G'town over UVA, a decision which most would disagree with...

The make up of the class is not a huge issue for me. I do like that Penn does have a pretty diverse class, but I am not going to make that a factor in the decision.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:25 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:Isn't UVA sticker less expensive than Penn sticker? How about taking a look at each school's student culture on the 1L/2L forums. You sound like a city slicker though but from what I hear, UVA places better in DC. I personally think this is a win/win w/a slight lean towards UVA (I may be biased) just because of a marginal savings in CoA.

UVA is marginally cheaper for an out of stater. 67,500 as opposed to Penn being about 68,500. Should be able to get in state for years 2 and 3.

Its not easy to get instate in Virginia...

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:27 pm

UVA for DC. Penn for NYC. All else pretty equal. Penn is snobbier though.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:50 pm

FiveSermon wrote:UVA for DC. Penn for NYC. All else pretty equal. Penn is snobbier though.

When you say snobbier I assume you are simply referencing the ivy league status not the students. Got the call from UT today so the in-state tuition will make me look at the debt risk in a whole new light

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:59 pm

FiveSermon wrote:UVA for DC. Penn for NYC. All else pretty equal. Penn is snobbier though.

This, although I question Penn being snobby (unless UVA happens to be an incredibly down-to-earth place). Perhaps the LS is different in this respect, but most people I know who went to the UG were cool people.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:02 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

This, although I question Penn being snobby (unless UVA happens to be an incredibly down-to-earth place). Perhaps the LS is different in this respect, but most people I know who went to the UG were cool people.

I think the consensus on UVA is that it is incredibly down to earth, but I suspect that Penn is just as nice a place to study. The very clear answer on UVA for D.C. does not seem to be resonating with the poll voters. 22 to 21 haha.

I understand that both schools are pretty much the same so I appreciate you all indulging me.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:03 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:

When you say snobbier I assume you are simply referencing the ivy league status not the students. Got the call from UT today so the in-state tuition will make me look at the debt risk in a whole new light

Congrats on UT. I'm from Texas as well, and if I had the choice, I would had gone that route - most likely (since I want to move back there)

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:05 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

I think the consensus on UVA is that it is incredibly down to earth, but I suspect that Penn is just as nice a place to study. The very clear answer on UVA for D.C. does not seem to be resonating with the poll voters. 22 to 21 haha.

I understand that both schools are pretty much the same so I appreciate you all indulging me.

The edges Penn and UVA respectively have in NYC and DC are not enormous relative to each other, but they're large enough to warrant picking one over the other if you're absolutely sure which market you want to end up in (all other things being equal, that is).

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:06 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Both schools are known for having cool people but the people are also very, very different. UVA is more fraty, Penn is more laid back and west coast (CA is the most represented state).

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Veyron wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Both schools are known for having cool people but the people are also very, very different. UVA is more fraty, Penn is more laid back and west coast (CA is the most represented state).

That's very interesting to know. I never would have thought that.

Whatsawahooanyway

Postby Whatsawahooanyway » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:11 pm

Veyron wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Is UVA seriously fratty? Is it too late to withdraw my ED application?
Last edited by Whatsawahooanyway on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:12 pm

[/quote]I think the consensus on UVA is that it is incredibly down to earth, but I suspect that Penn is just as nice a place to study. The very clear answer on UVA for D.C. does not seem to be resonating with the poll voters. 22 to 21 haha.

I understand that both schools are pretty much the same so I appreciate you all indulging me.[/quote]

Both schools are known for having cool people but the people are also very, very different. UVA is more fraty, Penn is more laid back and west coast (CA is the most represented state).[/quote]

That's very interesting to know. I never would have thought that.[/quote]

Yah, cravat is I only know the numbers for '13 but you would be pretty surprised at what other states made the top 10.

Is UVA seriously fraty? Is it too late to withdraw my ED application?

Based on my limited experiences down in Charlotesville, I'd say that its the frattiest place on earth (or at lest in the T-14). Going to a UVA Law party was a miserable experience for my nerdy ass. Felt like I was going to get stuffed in a locker: a locker filled with pastel polos.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:39 pm

Whatsawahooanyway wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Both schools are known for having cool people but the people are also very, very different. UVA is more fraty, Penn is more laid back and west coast (CA is the most represented state)

UVA fratty? Isn't NY the most represented state at UVA?

(I also am going through the UVA/Penn decision)

Whatsawahooanyway

Postby Whatsawahooanyway » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:45 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
Whatsawahooanyway wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Both schools are known for having cool people but the people are also very, very different. UVA is more fraty, Penn is more laid back and west coast (CA is the most represented state)

Well Virginia is 40% of the class. According to the class of 2013 profile, NY, Cali, and Texas were the next highest represented. Lots of Dukies (14)

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:51 pm

Whatsawahooanyway wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:
Whatsawahooanyway wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Well Virginia is 40% of the class. According to the class of 2013 profile, NY, Cali, and Texas were the next highest represented. Lots of Dukies (14)

Whoops! Correction noted (Duh, I forgot about the in-state admit guidelines).
I took a glimpse at UVA's 2013 profile on their website and only looked at the chart and not the words before it reading "In addition to Virginia, the following states are represented by five or more students"

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:52 pm

UVA's undergrad is super fratty and the LS is fratty by law school standards for sure, but there's plenty of non-bros. If you hate fratty schools/places UVA is not the best choice.

whitman

Postby whitman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:18 am

So I'm in at Penn, WLed at UVA, which sucks because I was really looking forward to playing softball and cycling the Blue Ridge Parkway. Penn sounds kind of miserable from what I've read from Veyron, who, ironically, seems to love it even as he makes it sound awful. Is Penn really that bad? Students that nerdy? Work that hard (I saw somewhere that he said it was as intense as Chicago, which seems to be proud of its reputation as the most intense around)?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”