UIUC ($90k) or WUSTL ($75k) with CA Prospects

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which One

UIUC
4
25%
WUSTL
12
75%
 
Total votes: 16

dangerdan
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:07 am

UIUC ($90k) or WUSTL ($75k) with CA Prospects

Postby dangerdan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:11 am

Title says it - I want to work in California when I'm done.

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: UIUC ($90k) or WUSTL ($75k) with CA Prospects

Postby quadsixm » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:12 am

dangerdan wrote:Title says it - I want to work in California when I'm done.


Both not good, but WUSTL is better for CA.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: UIUC ($90k) or WUSTL ($75k) with CA Prospects

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:21 am

Why these schools?

User avatar
jpSartre
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:05 am

Re: UIUC ($90k) or WUSTL ($75k) with CA Prospects

Postby jpSartre » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:21 am

I'd imagine the CA placement of both these schools is 5-10% Why not USC, Davis, Hastings, etc.?

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: UIUC ($90k) or WUSTL ($75k) with CA Prospects

Postby dr123 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:22 am

Why did you apply to Midwest schools if you wanna work in cali?

dangerdan
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:07 am

Re: UIUC ($90k) or WUSTL ($75k) with CA Prospects

Postby dangerdan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:27 am

I also applied to and was accepted at Hastings, but is that really a better option than either of these two with money?
I Didn't apply to Davis, don't want to go to school there.
Haven't heard from UCLA, I'm 169/3.3 and don't expect to get in.

Edit: May also be important to know that I have lived in California most of my life (since moving to the US when I was two).

User avatar
jpSartre
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:05 am

Re: UIUC ($90k) or WUSTL ($75k) with CA Prospects

Postby jpSartre » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:30 am

USC wouldve been credited with your numbers

dangerdan
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:07 am

Re: UIUC ($90k) or WUSTL ($75k) with CA Prospects

Postby dangerdan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:33 am

jpSartre wrote:USC wouldve been credited with your numbers


I thought they preferred a little more GPA

User avatar
soccerfreak
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am

Re: UIUC ($90k) or WUSTL ($75k) with CA Prospects

Postby soccerfreak » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:02 am

I would say Wash U of those two, but you really should've applied to USC/UCDavis, or even Washington. If you wanna work in California, go to school in California. Unless you just wanna get away from the west coast for awhile, it really makes sense.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: UIUC ($90k) or WUSTL ($75k) with CA Prospects

Postby Hannibal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:43 am

I would say Illinois. COL and Tuition are both higher at WUSTL, and placement numbers probably don't reflect the reality since there's a whole lot of self-selection there.

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: UIUC ($90k) or WUSTL ($75k) with CA Prospects

Postby quadsixm » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:25 am

Hannibal wrote:I would say Illinois. COL and Tuition are both higher at WUSTL, and placement numbers probably don't reflect the reality since there's a whole lot of self-selection there.


IMO, COL difference is negligible. St. Louis has a very low COL. In fact, it has the lowest COL of the 20 largest metropolitan areas in the US:
http://www.stlrcga.org/x436.xml

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: UIUC ($90k) or WUSTL ($75k) with CA Prospects

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:35 pm

If you want to practice in CA and cannot get into a t14 you need to go to a school in CA. /thread.

dangerdan
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:07 am

Re: UIUC ($90k) or WUSTL ($75k) with CA Prospects

Postby dangerdan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:10 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:If you want to practice in CA and cannot get into a t14 you need to go to a school in CA. /thread.

so CA firms dont consider grads from a t20 that have strong ties to CA?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UIUC ($90k) or WUSTL ($75k) with CA Prospects

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:37 pm

dangerdan wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:If you want to practice in CA and cannot get into a t14 you need to go to a school in CA. /thread.

so CA firms dont consider grads from a t20 that have strong ties to CA?


There are some California offices that do OCI at Illinois and WashU. But it's about 7 different differences (with 18 offices overall), and most seem to be satellite offices of big midwestern firms.

Compare that to UC-Hastings which has 120 different offices coming according to NALP.

Maybe the schools have some california interview program or something. But it looks like in order to target California you'll need to do a mass firm mailing and that usually isn't that effective.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: UIUC ($90k) or WUSTL ($75k) with CA Prospects

Postby stratocophic » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dangerdan wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:If you want to practice in CA and cannot get into a t14 you need to go to a school in CA. /thread.

so CA firms dont consider grads from a t20 that have strong ties to CA?


There are some California offices that do OCI at Illinois and WashU. But it's about 7 different differences (with 18 offices overall), and most seem to be satellite offices of big midwestern firms.

Compare that to UC-Hastings which has 120 different offices coming according to NALP.

Maybe the schools have some california interview program or something. But it looks like in order to target California you'll need to do a mass firm mailing and that usually isn't that effective.
WUSTL does a Cali off-campus interview program. Don't know anything about it, I'm sure there's something online somewhere.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RoastedSlug, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests