UC Davis (full ride) or UCLA (20K) or Duke (Sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I choose?

UC Davis (full tuition)
46%
UCLA (20K grant)
38%
Duke (sticker price)
16%

Total votes: 50

clevermoose

UC Davis (full ride) or UCLA (20K) or Duke (Sticker)

Postby clevermoose » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:47 pm

Hey all, thanks for helping me with my tough choice. I'm a norcal native and I am looking for govt or PI work. I am not opposed to the idea of working in biglaw, but I am not sure that I am willing to commit the biglaw hours. I want to work criminal law as of right now. Getting a crimlaw job in California (pref SF or Sacramento) and minimizing debt are my priorities.

3.76 170

Thank you again for your help.

CanadianWolf

Re: UC Davis (full ride) or UCLA (20K) or Duke (Sticker)

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:48 pm

If UCLA is $20,000 per year, then it may be your best option if you want to work in California.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:51 pm

If minimizing debt is really important to you and you don't mind working in norcal; Davis all the way. UCLA's tuition keeps going up dramatically each year; even with in-state tuition those 20g's are not gonna get you very far. Are there any stipulations on the Davis scholarship and is there any stipend for COL? Duke is awesome but if you want to minimize debt and work in CA then Duke doesn't make much sense given your other options.

Gleason

Postby Gleason » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:55 pm

^^^
That's right. Given your priorities, it sounds like Davis. Full-ride + low COL + strong in your market of choice. Though it depends on the scholly conditions a little I think.

clevermoose

Postby clevermoose » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:02 pm

The UCD funding is coming from a 25K need-based grant, 15K scholarship (no stipulations), and I have applied for another 20K scholarship + mentorship there, so I may receive funding for living expenses.

UCLA grant is 20K/year. I asked them to match a WUSTL full ride scholarship and they kindly declined :-(

Thanks for the great responses so far.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:29 pm

Honestly if the fullride is guaranteed for all 3 years I would go to Davis with your goals.

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:32 pm

Did you at least throw apps at Boalt and Stanford?

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:03 pm

If the UCLA grant is guaranteed for each of the three years, go to UCLA. With your N. Cal. connections, getting a crimlaw gig in the region from UCLA would be a breeze. For the more desirable jobs, I imagine you would still need to set yourself apart somehow if you went to Davis.

Take the UCLA grant, get the better job, use the LRAP, enjoy life.

clevermoose

Postby clevermoose » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:56 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:Did you at least throw apps at Boalt and Stanford?

I applied to Boalt and was waitlisted. Didn't apply to Stanford.

Thanks again guys for your insights.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:54 am

definitely not Duke

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:08 am

[]
Last edited by quadsixm on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:14 am

^^^How is UCD getting smashed in a way that UCLA isn't? Everyone talks about the UC's getting collectively clusterf***ed by the budget...unless you know about something else that's messing up UCD in particular? Where's SBL :shock:

Gleason

Postby Gleason » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:18 am

^^^
I think s/he's probably talking about UCD's employment prospects ITE getting smashed.

There's no doubt employment prospects out of UCLA are far better, and I'd personally choose UCLA, but given what OP said about his priorities, it sounds like UCD to me. If debt's one of two major priorities and you can graduate with little debt (just Davis COL costs), check. If location is the major second priority and your almost debtless JD is from a good school that does well in your region, check.

Add to that that the OP wants criminal law in the area, one of the areas of law that favors regional schools, it seems like this is one of those nice cases where you've got a clean fit.

OP can't go wrong here. Congrats.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:42 am

I think UCLA's tuition is set to rise. It may rise another 5-10k a year so take that in mind when looking at your scholarship. 20k a year may not really be saving you 20k a year when UCLA is charging 10k a year more in tuition than any other non california law school.

I'd go with UC davis. But why no USC? Maybe they would give you more money than UCLA without the ridiculous tuition hikes.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:08 am

Borhas wrote:definitely not Duke

+1

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:04 am

Gleason wrote:^^^
I think s/he's probably talking about UCD's employment prospects ITE getting smashed.

There's no doubt employment prospects out of UCLA are far better, and I'd personally choose UCLA, but given what OP said about his priorities, it sounds like UCD to me. If debt's one of two major priorities and you can graduate with little debt (just Davis COL costs), check. If location is the major second priority and your almost debtless JD is from a good school that does well in your region, check.

Add to that that the OP wants criminal law in the area, one of the areas of law that favors regional schools, it seems like this is one of those nice cases where you've got a clean fit.

OP can't go wrong here. Congrats.

Yep. Didn't notice the CrimLaw preference - you're right - can't go wrong with either UCLA or UCD.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”