American, UMD, or Wake Forest? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would be the best option?

Maryland
67%
American
No votes
Wake Forest
33%

Total votes: 6

WilRO

New

American, UMD, or Wake Forest?

Post by WilRO » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:52 pm

I have been accepted to these schools, and am having a hard time deciding which one would be the best option for me. The most important considerations for me -- other than costs, which are almost the same at all three -- are the following:

1. I would like to practice in DC/VA/(possibly MD?) after graduation, and the caliber of the job prospects that these schools offer is the most important consideration for me.

2. My legal fields of interest are -- international law (immigration), corporate law, and personal injury.

Any insight would be truly appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by WilRO on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Re: American, UMD, or Wake Forest?

Post by BlueDiamond » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:55 pm

if you want Maryland then go to UMD.. and to say to pick these without considering costs is stupid.. cost should be a major factor in your (and anyones) decisions outside of the YHS

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:56 pm

If costs are equal, Maryland.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:58 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:If costs are equal, Maryland.
i also dont agree with this though.. costs equal go to wake.. if costs are sticker go to maryland

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:01 pm

Really? Wake will not outplace Maryland in these regions I wouldn't think. Plus, Maryland has a pretty solid lock on Baltimore.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WilRO

New

Post by WilRO » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:02 pm

Yes, costs are about the same when taking into consideration that if I go to American I'd live at home. If I go to UMD or Wake Forest, I'd have to move there, which means -- paying for rent :/.

Thanks for your input guys.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:03 pm

If you're interested in immigration law, don't try sound more profound by calling it international law. First of all, it's not. Second, people who know anything about these areas of law will respect an interest in immigration law (for its practicality) much more than a silly fascination with international law (based on whatever assumption they make about what they think you mean by it).

The further away you get from North Carolina, the less Wake Forest will do for you. If you wanted Southern VA, I'd say it would be a good option. But DC and north? Not compared to UMD.

I would take the cheaper of UMD and American. If costs are substantially similar, do some research into employers in the area that handle immigration issues. See which school has the most alumni with employers you think you would have a reasonable shot at landing with. Look at private, government, and PI employers. Both schools will be fine for personal injury, and neither will do spectacularly for corporate law.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:43 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Really? Wake will not outplace Maryland in these regions I wouldn't think. Plus, Maryland has a pretty solid lock on Baltimore.
I meant more overall picture since if they were equal price the most OP would be paying at Wake is Maryland sticker which isnt that expensive compared to many options.. although I'd bet Wake places better in VA.. but yes Maryland probably places better in Maryland and in DC you are correct

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”