UT, Vandy, WashU, Georgetown

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
carboy67

UT, Vandy, WashU, Georgetown

Postby carboy67 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi. I was just trying to get some opinions on the options I have available so far (still waiting on 7 more). I am a Texas resident and have been accepted to these schools:

Texas (In-state tuition @ 29,000/yr) - haven't heard about scholarships through their matching program yet
WashU (120K scholarship so somewhere around 3,000/yr in tuition)
Vanderbilt- haven't heard anything about money either so 45,000/yr
Georgetown- same as Vanderbilt

I also got into U of Houston and SMU (77,000 scholarship).

I would really like to work on the West Coast but if I can't would still really like to work in Houston after graduating and want a school that has a strong international law program.

Does anyone have any advice or experience about the relative employment prospects of these schools? also, money is of course a big factor for me, but so is the reputation and the network of the school I go to. Thanks in advance for all the help.
Last edited by carboy67 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AboveTheLawSchool

Re: UT, Vandy, WashU, Georgetown

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:25 pm

If you really wanted west coast you should have applied to more west coast schools.

However, for Texas, I would go to UT without a doubt.

Edit: Wait for USC or UCLA to get back to you, if you strike out with both of those, go to Texas.
Last edited by AboveTheLawSchool on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Despite the large scholarship, I would first nix WUSTL. It will not take you to any region you're interested in working (at least not to the extent of the other three), and it's reputation is just not in the same ballpark.

GULC has the best rep, followed by UT, then Vandy, but all three have substantially similar job prospects--generally speaking, in terms of percentage of class placed. UT and GULC will do better on the West Coast than Vandy, and of these options, UT will rule Texas. Considering UT will be about $16k/year cheaper and do the best in your markets of choice, I think choosing UT is a no-brainer, despite the marginal reputation advantage that GULC holds.
Last edited by showNprove on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carboy67

Postby carboy67 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:29 pm

I did apply to USC and UCLA and still haven't heard back

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:36 pm

nix WUSTL that degree will not travel well to TX or West Coast markets. I think you definitely go for UT; something to be said for having a degree from the best law school in the State of Texas when its likely you'll practice there if west coast doesn't work out; plus I would guess the UT degree can travel fairly well tho I'm far from an expert

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:39 pm

UT sounds like the best option for now.

Wait and see how USC and UCLA do with giving you $$$s.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:46 pm

applepiecrust wrote:UT sounds like the best option for now.

Wait and see how USC and UCLA do with giving you $$$s.

This. If youre dead set on west coast, you might want to go to USC or UCLA. But both of these schools are very regional. If you might want to practice anywhere other than west coast, Id go to UT because they definitely more national than UCLA or USC. GULC is probably not worth it for you, especially because you'd have to pay more to go there, and im not sure they place any better than UCLA, USC or even UT for that matter on the west coast.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:25 pm

UCLA, USC, then UT

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:43 pm

Expect significant money from UCLA. Texas or UCLA are your best bets in light of your career goals.

whitman

Postby whitman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:03 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Expect significant money from UCLA. Texas or UCLA are your best bets in light of your career goals.

Why? I got waitlisted there with a 3.5/172. Doubt he can expect significant money.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:56 pm

Texas, based on your goals and current options. Where are the West Coast options?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:58 pm

Wait for money. Wait on UCLA/USC. Just be patient.

Also you're probably not gonna do intl law. Search TLS to find over 9000 threads about why you won't.

carboy67

Postby carboy67 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:18 pm

rad law wrote: Also you're probably not gonna do intl law. Search TLS to find over 9000 threads about why you won't.

I know I won't end up doing it most likely. I am just interested in a school that has a program dedicated to it and a journal that I could potentially work on.

byamargin

Postby byamargin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:11 am

I always find it funny how 0L's (who, granted, just want to help but) have no idea of what's really going on at any school are quick to write "don't go to [name a top 25 school] because you will never get [name a remote state]" just because that's what they heard from other clueless 0L's somewhere.

OP, I am a 3L at a top 25 school. My best friend got a big law job in LA and he's outside of the top 20% (probably top 1/3) with no significant ties to Cali.

I am not going to tell you what school to choose, but I will advise you (and everyone else) to take the advice you get here with a grain of salt. To make your decision, I would go to ASD at all of these schools, talk to current students, talk to career services, talk to lawyers in the area you'd like to practice. Sure, some advice may be biased, but for sure it's better than what you get here from 0L's.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”