Temple or Villanova?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
goblue123

Temple or Villanova?

Postby goblue123 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:41 pm

I need help...pro's and con's of each?!

BlueDiamond

Re: Temple or Villanova?

Postby BlueDiamond » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Villanova lies to the ABA, Temple doesn't... so Temple

goblue123

Postby goblue123 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:51 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:Villanova lies to the ABA, Temple doesn't... so Temple

i've been told that many law schools report inflated numbers and that Villanova just got caught...I'm interested in job prospects and quality of education/professors.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:53 pm

goblue123 wrote:

i've been told that many law schools report inflated numbers and that Villanova just got caught...I'm interested in job prospects and quality of education/professors.

not inflated LSAT and GPA numbers.. job prospects are similar.. both place in Philly and not really many other places.. last part someone else would have to answer for you

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:58 pm

The schools are similar. Temple is cheaper for most. And they haven't been caught lying. Temple.

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:59 pm

Temple probably
Last edited by jdhakert on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:21 pm

What are your estimated cost of attendance for each?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:26 pm

Temple easily.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Villanova's ABA issues will have a negligible effect on local hiring at best. That being said, Temple will almost invariably prove to be the cheaper (and thus better) option.

goblue123

Postby goblue123 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:27 pm

tea_drinker wrote:What are your estimated cost of attendance for each?

I haven't gotten scholly info yet but I'm out of state so it's not a huge difference between the two.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:32 pm

goblue123 wrote:

I haven't gotten scholly info yet but I'm out of state so it's not a huge difference between the two.

Sure, if you want to throw away $15K over the three years. Does Temple allow you to obtain residency after your 1L?

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:35 pm

I'm biased because I'm likely attending in 2011. But temple at in state tuition is much better value. If money is no option, it seems the personality of nova is white and mid-upper class. Temple is a bit more blue collar. They value work experience and philly ties. Both schools are equal from what every attorney tells me. Even before I was accepted, every attorney told me to go to temple unless I had some good reason to leave the area.

The only big plus about nova is 3yrs on the affluent main line vs temple's inner city area. But again, the cost is worth the couple years of sacrifice.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:36 pm

LSATclincher wrote:I'm biased because I'm likely attending in 2011. But temple at in state tuition is much better value. If money is no option, it seems the personality of nova is white and mid-upper class. Temple is a bit more blue collar. They value work experience and philly ties. Both schools are equal from what every attorney tells me. Even before I was accepted, every attorney told me to go to temple unless I had some good reason to leave the area.

The only big plus about nova is 3yrs on the affluent main line vs temple's inner city area. But again, the cost is worth the couple years of sacrifice.

I grew up on the Main Line. It's a fine place to raise a family, but it has comparatively little to offer for young, single, twentysomethings.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:37 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
goblue123 wrote:

Sure, if you want to throw away $15K over the three years. Does Temple allow you to obtain residency after your 1L?

It appears doable compared to most schools.
Last edited by LSATclincher on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:43 pm

LSATclincher wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:
goblue123 wrote:

It appears double compared to most schools.

:?:

OP is an OOS. If he couldn't obtain residency after 1L, the difference in COA is only 5K/year. Am I getting my numbers mixed up?

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:45 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:I'm biased because I'm likely attending in 2011. But temple at in state tuition is much better value. If money is no option, it seems the personality of nova is white and mid-upper class. Temple is a bit more blue collar. They value work experience and philly ties. Both schools are equal from what every attorney tells me. Even before I was accepted, every attorney told me to go to temple unless I had some good reason to leave the area.

I grew up on the Main Line. It's a fine place to raise a family, but it has comparatively little to offer for young, single, twentysomethings.

It's true. I'm just trying to find a reason to choose nova. It's a good school, but the cost, even for oos, is not worth it compared to temple. I still think those going to nova don't care about cost or didn't get in to temple so they took on the riskier debt load at nova.

goblue123

Postby goblue123 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Right, it's about 5K a year-so if the schools are basically the same I'd obviously choose temple. Nova's law school has better facilities but I wouldn't go there just for that...it seems like the overall consensus is that Temple would be the better choice.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:52 pm

HeavenWood wrote:I grew up on the Main Line. It's a fine place to raise a family, but it has comparatively little to offer for young, single, twentysomethings.

+1. Although it certainly offers less distraction.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:07 pm

Also, OP, some on this forum would recommend that between your two options, you should choose Drexel.

sidewaysglance

Postby sidewaysglance » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:59 am

OP I was making a similiar decision last year (scholarship at Nova that would have made it equal in cost to going to Temple in-state with a small scholarship). After visiting both schools, and speaking with some attorney friends in Philadelphia, I chose Temple, and I am very happy with my choice so far.

If you have any questions about Temple you can PM me.

Just a piece of info, you can't obtain in-state tuition at Temple after going to the law school for one year. You can't even get it your 3rd year unless you show that you have a job offer for work in the state of Pennsylvania after you graduate (in which case they will retroactivley give you instate tution for your 3rd year). (I have several friends going through this disappointment right now, and this is what the residency board has told them at their residency hearings).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”