what's up with this "big law or bust" idea? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FiveSermon

Gold

Re: what's up with this "big law or bust" idea?

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:37 pm

Attorney wrote::arrow:

Big Law is extremely overrated... even if you could get that "golden ticket", would you want to work 80 hours a week for some dick you probably don't like at all and who probably doesn't like you either?

The chosen few of you are going to have so much fun! Especially the ones with too much debt (T14 @ sticker) to quit your jobs however much you despise your near-lifeless existences. When you lack the will to carry on, remember my warning.

There's a reason that Big Law has such high attrition. It's not what people think it will be. It's having no time but to work and sleep, as your wife/girlfriend spends your "$160k" and later divorces you after having an affair whilst you are at work from 8 am to 11 pm. She'll get all the assets from income you earned between 8 am and 3:30 pm. The rest is all yours, just as if you worked 40 hours like a regular person. Yay!

:mrgreen:

A bit of a repost above, I should have posted that here, more on-topic, instead of in a school-specific thread. Glad I saw this enlightening thread!
Yeah but biglaw is the first step to getting an in house job. And in house jobs rock. Good $. Manageable hours.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:56 am

FiveSermon wrote:
Attorney wrote::arrow:

Big Law is extremely overrated... even if you could get that "golden ticket", would you want to work 80 hours a week for some dick you probably don't like at all and who probably doesn't like you either?

The chosen few of you are going to have so much fun! Especially the ones with too much debt (T14 @ sticker) to quit your jobs however much you despise your near-lifeless existences. When you lack the will to carry on, remember my warning.

There's a reason that Big Law has such high attrition. It's not what people think it will be. It's having no time but to work and sleep, as your wife/girlfriend spends your "$160k" and later divorces you after having an affair whilst you are at work from 8 am to 11 pm. She'll get all the assets from income you earned between 8 am and 3:30 pm. The rest is all yours, just as if you worked 40 hours like a regular person. Yay!

:mrgreen:

A bit of a repost above, I should have posted that here, more on-topic, instead of in a school-specific thread. Glad I saw this enlightening thread!
Yeah but biglaw is the first step to getting an in house job. And in house jobs rock. Good $. Manageable hours.
Gotta pay your dues, everyone knows that.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:26 pm

LOL at not billing through meals and bathroom breaks, and 15 minute coffee breaks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”