2012 US News Predictions: Top 15-30 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kapital98

Silver

Re: 2012 US News Predictions: Top 15-30

Post by kapital98 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:26 pm

UC Irvine will be 19-25...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:21 pm

kapital98 wrote:UC Irvine will be 19-25...
--ImageRemoved--

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:49 pm

kapital98 wrote:UC Irvine will be 19-25...
Losses in basketball? Well, you are at 17 already, with three more games. So you aren't getting to 25. But I bet you get to 20!

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:53 pm

when will the new ranking be available?

jcunni5

Bronze

Post by jcunni5 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:02 pm

15) Georgetown (someone had to do this)
16) Texas
16) UCLA
18) USC
19) BU
20) BC
21) WUSTL
22) GW
23) MN
24) Emory
25) ND
26) IL
27) W & M
28) IA
29) UNC
30) Fordham

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:07 pm

I've seen that picture so many times SBL, but I've never seen it used so perfectly. I'm dying laughing.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:29 pm

Pricer wrote:
ThomasMN wrote:
Pricer wrote:15. Cooley
16. SMU
17. Harvard
18. BYU
18. Whittier
20. Penn State
21. Florida State
22. Tulane
23. Loyola Chicago
24. John Marshall - Atlanta
24. Georgia State
26. Princeton
27. Golden State
28. Tennessee
28. Florida
28. Miami
Blatant Cooley trolling.
Just proving that it doesn't really matter. In my mind, UGA wins. I'm in state, cheap tuition. I agree with most that rankings do not matter after #18, and I really don't think they matter after #11.
You guys did win PreLaw Mag's Bang for your Buck award (based on rank and job prospects and student debt)

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:45 am

People always say that there is the T14, and then 15-18 which is more or less the same as the lower third of the T14, and then a steep drop off at 19, where WUSTL begins.

And I believe that, I really do. I believe that Vandy for example is a strong strong school just outside the T14, probably not much worse than say, Cornell.

But I (and I am not trolling) consistently puzzled by people saying that USC/UCLA are in a tier that is not-quite-T14 but close, but slightly above the rest of the T20/25. But what I don't understand about this, at least in the past couple of years, is how this could possibly be the case. The NLJ 250 ranking (not necessarily all market paying BigLaw, but a reasonable metric, and I'm not really making an argument based on statistics, just asking a question) doesn't show that much of a significant difference between their placement and say, BU/BC/rest of T20. I understand all the major markets, DC, NY, Chicago, have been hit, but are recovering, but I can't imagine SoCal being hit *less* hard or recovering as fast, is what I'm saying. UCLA and USC are probably names enough to have national reach (though I'd probably be underwhelmed by their DC/NY placement, though I haven't bothered to look). But assuming USC grads are mostly aiming at the LA market (and I don't think this is an invalid assumption), what jobs can most of them possibly be getting in there that are so much better than the rest of the T20/25? Granted, LA is huge, second only to NYC in size, but something about it to me doesn't seem to make sense. Even if (being generous here) the Trojan network extended well to NorCal, the legal market there sucks just as hard if not more. I'm sure there are regional offices despite BigLaw's New York-centrism, I just...maybe LA has more opportunities than I had thought.

byamargin

New

Post by byamargin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:09 am

PomasThynchon wrote:People always say that there is the T14, and then 15-18 which is more or less the same as the lower third of the T14, and then a steep drop off at 19, where WUSTL begins.

And I believe that, I really do. I believe that Vandy for example is a strong strong school just outside the T14, probably not much worse than say, Cornell.

But I (and I am not trolling) consistently puzzled by people saying that USC/UCLA are in a tier that is not-quite-T14 but close, but slightly above the rest of the T20/25. But what I don't understand about this, at least in the past couple of years, is how this could possibly be the case. The NLJ 250 ranking (not necessarily all market paying BigLaw, but a reasonable metric, and I'm not really making an argument based on statistics, just asking a question) doesn't show that much of a significant difference between their placement and say, BU/BC/rest of T20. I understand all the major markets, DC, NY, Chicago, have been hit, but are recovering, but I can't imagine SoCal being hit *less* hard or recovering as fast, is what I'm saying. UCLA and USC are probably names enough to have national reach (though I'd probably be underwhelmed by their DC/NY placement, though I haven't bothered to look). But assuming USC grads are mostly aiming at the LA market (and I don't think this is an invalid assumption), what jobs can most of them possibly be getting in there that are so much better than the rest of the T20/25? Granted, LA is huge, second only to NYC in size, but something about it to me doesn't seem to make sense. Even if (being generous here) the Trojan network extended well to NorCal, the legal market there sucks just as hard if not more. I'm sure there are regional offices despite BigLaw's New York-centrism, I just...maybe LA has more opportunities than I had thought.
Fixed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:19 am

byamargin wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:People always say that there is the T14, and then 15-18 which is more or less the same as the lower third of the T14, and then a steep drop off at 19, where WUSTL begins.

Fixed.
OK fine but my question remains, name aside, why are USC/UCLA so highly ranked? I'm not claiming to have extensive knowledge of the California economy, I just didn't think LA was doing well enough to justify the rankings, unless I'm overestimating how much that counts in the rankings.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:26 am

PomasThynchon wrote:
byamargin wrote:

Fixed.
OK fine but my question remains, name aside, why are USC/UCLA so highly ranked? I'm not claiming to have extensive knowledge of the California economy,I just didn't think LA was doing well enough to justify the rankings, unlessI'm overestimating how much that counts in the rankings.
FTFY

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:10 am

PomasThynchon wrote:
byamargin wrote:

Fixed.
OK fine but my question remains, name aside, why are USC/UCLA so highly ranked? I'm not claiming to have extensive knowledge of the California economy, I just didn't think LA was doing well enough to justify the rankings, unless I'm overestimating how much that counts in the rankings.
You could have looked up USNews's ranking methodology and answered your own question in about half the time it took you to type all this.

For those of y'all taking this thread seriously: Relax. In the time between when I was a 0L and now, Davis has gone from 44 to 28. Nothing has changed at all. Really any ranking south of about 20 doesn't matter too much unless you're comparing schools of obviously disparate quality (e.g. Hastings/Santa Clara or BC/Northeastern) which compete in similar markets.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:28 am

PomasThynchon wrote:Granted, LA is huge, second only to NYC in size, but something about it to me doesn't seem to make sense.
Interestingly, LA may be the 2nd largest city in America, but it's the 4th largest legal market.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Size of the market =/= ease of breaking into the market, but just throwing that out there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:52 pm

SBL wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:
byamargin wrote:

Fixed.
You could have looked up USNews's ranking methodology and answered your own question in about half the time it took you to type all this.

For those of y'all taking this thread seriously: Relax. In the time between when I was a 0L and now, Davis has gone from 44 to 28. Nothing has changed at all. Really any ranking south of about 20 doesn't matter too much unless you're comparing schools of obviously disparate quality (e.g. Hastings/Santa Clara or BC/Northeastern) which compete in similar markets.
Nah two minutes wasted no biggie. My question wasn't really a question but more of surprise, as I didn't think LA had that big a legal market, some mental block or something. As for Fu Manchu and byamargin, diaf. Especially Fu Manchu. Anyone can make a Fu Manchu face-we don't need you.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
SBL wrote: You could have looked up USNews's ranking methodology and answered your own question in about half the time it took you to type all this.

Nah two minutes wasted no biggie. My question wasn't really a question but more of surprise, as I didn't think LA had that big a legal market, some mental block or something. As for Fu Manchu and byamargin, diaf. Especially Fu Manchu. Anyone can make a Fu Manchu face-we don't need you.
I think his point was not so much that you could have saved your own time, but that you could have not wasted ours.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:29 pm

Bosque wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:
SBL wrote: You could have looked up USNews's ranking methodology and answered your own question in about half the time it took you to type all this.

I think his point was not so much that you could have saved your own time, but that you could have not wasted ours.
I think you wasted your own time. Like I am doing right now.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:38 pm

I just like being snarky. Sorry if it deeply offended you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:00 pm

Bosque wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:

Sorry to have wasted the time of the venerable Bosque

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:02 pm

FuManChusco wrote:I just like being snarky. Sorry if it deeply offended you.
Don't flatter yourself. The bottom of the barrel Gawker posters are better at snark.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:05 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
Don't flatter yourself. The bottom of the barrel Gawker posters are better at snark.
umad?

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:35 am

PomasThynchon wrote: Sorry to have wasted the time of the venerable Bosque
You are forgiven. SO SAYS THE BOSQUE.

--ImageRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

helloperson

Bronze

Post by helloperson » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:06 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:
umad?
I, third party observer, am deeply offended by how obnoxious you are.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:37 pm

helloperson wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:
umad?
I, third party observer, am deeply offended by how obnoxious you are.
success

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:29 am

any more takers before the real rankings are out in 2 days?

bball25

New

Post by bball25 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Pricer wrote:15. Cooley
16. SMU
17. Harvard
18. BYU
18. Whittier
20. Penn State
21. Florida State
22. Tulane