U of Washington (Seattle) vs. Boston College

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lincolnadams74

U of Washington (Seattle) vs. Boston College

Postby lincolnadams74 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:12 am

I'm comparing offers from the University of Washington and Boston College. Currently no financial aid offers. UW is cheaper, but I have my family to help me with tuition either way. I don't consider myself Christian, but I am fine with the fact that BC is a Catholic school. BC is also ranked slightly higher than UW, for whatever that's worth.

In general terms, I want to become a corporate lawyer or an attorney at a private firm. Obviously, I want a starting salary as high as possible after graduation. I am not sure what specific kind of lawyer I want to become (civil disputes, contracts, IP, etc). I am still learning about all the different branches of the law and the different types of lawyers.

I am definitely interested in computers and technology, and I have been told that UW might be a better choice because of its purported link to all the tech firms (computer and software manufacturers, Internet companies, social media, etc.) that have offices in Seattle. Admittedly, I would enjoy working for such companies.

However, I am hesitant to choose a school based on specialty (in this case, technology law, if that is even a true hallmark of UW) because I just don't know what I want to specialize in right now. I would prefer to live and study in Boston rather than Seattle (though I could be convinced otherwise), and my initial impression is that BC would be a better choice if I am not sure what specific kind of lawyer I want to become.

I am leaning toward BC, but I have been challenged to give more consideration to UW because of its proximity to the tech firms. Do you buy this argument, that UW would be better because "the tech industry is thriving" and all the major companies have offices in Seattle? What if the job openings for lawyers at those companies are scarce? And doesn't BC serve the New York region, which obviously has plenty of top companies there, including tech? Can't I still get involved in the tech industry on the East Coast, through BC?

I love [computer] technology just as much as the next guy, but given what I said about not really knowing exactly what branch of law I want to study/practice, and my hesitation to choose based on a purported specialty, what do you think? I want to give UW a fair chance, so I would appreciate any advice and comments that you have.

MrKappus

Re: U of Washington (Seattle) vs. Boston College

Postby MrKappus » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:19 am

Outside of the T14, go to school in the region where you'd be happy working. You have plenty of time to decide what area of law interests you, but you have about 3 months to decide in what region of the country you'll most likely end up. Both are great schools, but you should obviously try to get some $ out of 'em.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:47 am

lincolnadams74 wrote:In general terms, I want to become a corporate lawyer or an attorney at a private firm. Obviously, I want a starting salary as high as possible after graduation.

Retake, go to T14.

shastaca

Postby shastaca » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:56 am

In case you haven't noticed, MIT and many of the tech firms it has spawned are in and around Boston...

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:12 pm

between these two, pick based almost entirely on regional preference

lincolnadams74

Postby lincolnadams74 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:12 pm

RVP11 wrote:
lincolnadams74 wrote:In general terms, I want to become a corporate lawyer or an attorney at a private firm. Obviously, I want a starting salary as high as possible after graduation.

Retake, go to T14.

I wish it were that easy.

Gleason

Postby Gleason » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:52 pm

Washington. (Assuming you like the Northwest.)

Best school in its sprawling region.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:55 pm

I would trust your gut on this one. Going to Washington because of a purported specialty is dumb, especially if you're not absolutely certain you'll end up in that industry. If retaking is not an option, BC all the way.

Gleason

Postby Gleason » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:01 pm

Washington, no doubt, before counting location. Only BC if for some unimaginable reason you'd rather live in Boston.

akijiki

Postby akijiki » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:29 pm

Yeah -- I'm in the same boat as OP. I have gone to college in Boston for 3.5 years and love it, but I also heard that Seattle is a wonderful place to live. I guess I'll just take a trip to Washington and check it out first hand...can't think of a better decision maker.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:31 pm

lincolnadams74 wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Retake, go to T14.

I wish it were that easy.

What are your numbers?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:03 pm

akijiki wrote:Yeah -- I'm in the same boat as OP. I have gone to college in Boston for 3.5 years and love it, but I also heard that Seattle is a wonderful place to live. I guess I'll just take a trip to Washington and check it out first hand...can't think of a better decision maker.

:shock: @ going to a regional school in a region I've only visited once.

lincolnadams74

Postby lincolnadams74 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:37 am

bk1 wrote:What are your numbers?

162 LSAT, 3.7 undergrad GPA, BA, MA, 5+ years work experience

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:01 pm

lincolnadams74 wrote:
bk1 wrote:What are your numbers?

162 LSAT, 3.7 undergrad GPA, BA, MA, 5+ years work experience

Do you think you maxed out your LSAT? I mean I would at least attempt to get a better score in June and if you don't get it then matriculate in fall. If you do get it then withdraw and reapply.

If you want the absolute best shot at a high salary it is pretty to say go to BC. Boston is a bigger market than Seattle and BC has more pull in NYC than UDub does. I'd also mention it would be hard to do IP/tech stuff if you don't already have the prerequisite background for that stuff.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”