Michigan or GW (Ranking vs Region)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan or GW (No scholly at either and I want to practice in DC)

Michigan
92%
GW
8%

Total votes: 71

tea_drinker

Re: Michigan or GW (Ranking vs Region)

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:24 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I can quantify that Michigan places better, if that's what you mean. And, I can quantify that a higher percentage of GULC grads end up in DC than Michigan grads. But, I can't quantify GPA cutoffs for firms in DC for each school because that data isn't available to anyone. It's simply a logical jump I took from my understanding of the markets and some anecdotal evidence. From what I understand, you aren't getting DC unless you are top of your class anyways. So, the extra percentage of Mich grads that get biglaw aren't going to be competitive in DC anyways.

Indeed a higher percentage of GULC grads end up in DC comparing to Michigan grad; as this is what I meant in my post since DC is GULC's main market and the size of their class.

I generally agree with what you say. My point is if you can go to Michigan, why would you give that up for GULC given no scholarship? The chances to end up in top 30% at either Michigan or GULC are equal, and in the worst case scenario, top 30% at Michigan may give you a slightly better chance at big firm job in DC than top 30% at GULC, especially when top Michigan grads do not necessarily aim for DC jobs

And here we are derailing this thread.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:35 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I can quantify that Michigan places better, if that's what you mean. And, I can quantify that a higher percentage of GULC grads end up in DC than Michigan grads. But, I can't quantify GPA cutoffs for firms in DC for each school because that data isn't available to anyone. It's simply a logical jump I took from my understanding of the markets and some anecdotal evidence. From what I understand, you aren't getting DC unless you are top of your class anyways. So, the extra percentage of Mich grads that get biglaw aren't going to be competitive in DC anyways.

Indeed a higher percentage of GULC grads end up in DC comparing to Michigan grad; as this is what I meant in my post since DC is GULC's main market and the size of their class.

I generally agree with what you say. My point is if you can go to Michigan, why would you give that up for GULC given no scholarship? The chances to end up in top 30% at either Michigan or GULC are equal, and in the worst case scenario, top 30% at Michigan may give you a slightly better chance at big firm job in DC than top 30% at GULC, especially when top Michigan grads do not necessarily aim for DC jobs

And here we are derailing this thread.

If you read my first post I specifically stated that I would take Michigan over GULC and I want to be in DC.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:40 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
If you read my first post I specifically stated that I would take Michigan over GULC and I want to be in DC.

Sharing our love/trolling for Michigan :D

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:43 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:If you read my first post I specifically stated that I would take Michigan over GULC and I want to be in DC.

Sharing our love/trolling for Michigan :D

No, I fucking hate michigan, GO BUCKS

but unfortunately, with a 169, michigan is probably the best place I can get into without a retake. Looks like my family will disown me.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:47 pm

i voted michigan for now, but I would definitely tell GW that you've gotten in to Mich and cannot turn down the better job prospects until they throw you some money..

Frasier27

Postby Frasier27 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:34 pm

adt231 wrote:i voted michigan for now, but I would definitely tell GW that you've gotten in to Mich and cannot turn down the better job prospects until they throw you some money..

GW's response was basically "Probably not" on a scholarship

sheD

Postby sheD » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:20 am

michigan_man wrote:You should go to Michigan, spend your summers in DC and do an externship there during a semester to build contacts.

This.

mst

Postby mst » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:32 am

This shouldn't be a question. Is this a joke?

Michigan.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”